*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525347-A-Home-at-Last-chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1525347
Abby is about to embark on a new life in Canada. A marriage of convenience.
A Home at Last chapter 3



Abby awoke with a start. She looked around and realized that she was no longer in a cell and that she was in a hotel. This was the day of her marriage by proxy. She couldn't beleive that so much had happened since yesterday. She realized that Travis Wills friend,would soon come and take her to the justice of peace, where he would perform the ceremony.



"I've got to get a shower and get moving" She hurried into the bathroom and turned on the shower. The warm water helped to sooth her. She washed her hair and dried it with the hair dryer that was provided. After getting dressed in the suit and arranging her hair she scrutinized herself in the mirror. Not too bad she observed. It's ok for a housekeeper.She was a little hungry and decided to go down stairs and out to the cafe that she had eaten at yesterday. In the cafe she ordered toast and coffee and Then hurried back to the hotel so that she would not miss him when he came to pick her up. She wondered what he was like. Maybe he could tell her something about Travis Wills.



In her room, Abby collected the few items that she had and

put them in her purse. She needed some new clothes but she didn't have enough money to do that at this time. She would just have to play things by ear. Maybe this man would have some money that Travis had sent for her to use. After all, he did say that he wanted her to look the part of a wife. As she was speculating she heard a knock on the door.



"Well, here goes" Abby thought as she opened the door. A nice looking, tall man with blonde hair and blue eyes stood there.

"Miss Jones?" He inquired.



"Yes I am." She answered.

"My name is Rex Hilton and I am a friend of Travis. He asked me to do him a favor and stand in for him." He was looking curiously at her.

"Yes he told me that he couldn't come as he was on assignment."

Abby was wondering if he thought she was out of her mind or that she was planning to rob Travis of his money. "I will get my things and be right with you." Abby said. She picked up her purse and came back to the door where he was still standing. "I am ready." she said.



"Don't you have some luggage to carry?"

"No, I thought I would get some things when I get there." she answered. She hadn't thought that he would think her odd if she didn't have any.

"Very well, then lets go. I have made arrangements with the Justice of Peace for ten O'clock. And then we can get you on your way to Travis."



"Yes, thank you for doing this for us" Abby answered. She didn't know what else to say. She wondered if he knew that this was just so Travis would have a housekeeper. She wanted to find out more about Travis but didn't know just what to ask.

Out side,Rex escorted her to his car and opened the door for her.

"Thank you" Abby murmered. This man was very curtious. She got in and he closed the door. On the way to the court house she managed to ask him,

"Have you known Travis long?"

"Yes we have been friends for a long time. We met when we were both in college. Travis came to the states to study law enforcement. We became very good friends."

"Oh no." Abby thought, what if he would find out that I was in prison and think the worst of me?" "Oh that is nice." Abby answered and decided to change the subject. "Is that the court house ahead?" "Yes we are almost there." Rex answered, as he pulled into a parking space. Soon you will be mrs Travis Wills." That sounded very strange to Abby, but I must get used to it she thought.

After the ceremony, and the judge had filled out all of the papers he congratulated her and they were free to go.

Rex handed her a small box with a diamond ring in it. "From Travis, he informed her. Also here is the airplane ticket and some money. He handed her an envelope with some cash stuck in it. "Thank you." Abby took the money and put it in her purse. She took the ring out of the the box and put it on her finger.

It fit very loosely. He must have thought that I was a big woman. Abby thought.

"Congratulations on your wedding." Rex opened the car door. "Your plane leaves in an hour so I better get you to the air port."

"Oh yes" we better get going before I miss my plane." She had never flown before and she was very scared but she didn't want any one to know how afraid she was.



At the airport Rex escorted Abby into the terminal and helped her at the desk. She was grateful to him for what he had done. The plane was going to be a little late so Abby found a seat. "I have to be going now." Rex explained. I have another engagement to tend too. I wish you all the happiness that you deserve. "Good bye."

"Good bye" "Thanks for everything." She watched him as he walked out of the terminal. She picked up a magazine and tried to look like she had done this all of her life. Soon she would be boarding that plane and she prayed that it would not have an accident.

When Rex left the air port he called Travis. "Congratulations old Buddy, you are now a married man. Quite a looker too."

"I wonder why she answered my ad then? Rex, could you do me another favor and check her out a little more?"

"Sure enough, but she seems to be very nice. A real lady. I suspect that she is down on her luck and needs some one to support her. All that she has with her is her purse. Says she will buy some things when she gets there. I will do some checking and if I find out anything I will let you know."

"Thanks, I hope I haven't made a mistake. But you know how the people around here are I really do need a housekeeper.

"Well don't work her too hard. Be gentle with her."

"Of course, you know I am not that bad."

"I will even give her a day off once in a while."

" Well I've got to go. As I say again ,congratulations."





To be continued.

© Copyright 2009 peggysue (missdinah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525347-A-Home-at-Last-chapter-3