*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525677-No-Im-Not-Normal
Rated: E · Editorial · Family · #1525677
No. I am not normal. Yes, I am a decent soul. Yes, I am a homeschooler.
Hi. My name is Nicole. I am a homeschooling mom. Now, wait a minute. I can hear some of the judgments. What about socialization? What about college? What about fill in the blank here with the general concerns from everyone on the face of the planet who has a negative opinion about homeschooling. What about being normal?

First, let me state, Micheal is normal. Micheal is sweet and smart and funny and has about a dozen friends whose purpose is to eat us out of house and home. Micheal is loud at times and quiet at times. Some days he is happy and some days he is grumpy. He likes cartoons and junk food. He can discuss Pokemon or Picasso with equal understanding and excitement about each. He has lots of friends, some who are homeschooled, some who attend public and several who attend private schools. So yes, he is a normal happy kid.

Maybe normal isn't the right word. Micheal is an only child. He is a little spoiiled. When Micheal, future animal rights activist, asked his father and i for a pet store, we opened one. Micheal is also an only grandchild and great grandchild. So, yes, he has a lot of attention. He also has a great many people who would walk through the fires of Hell to ensure his happiness and safety. He spends a little time each day with his great grandparents, how many children can say that? He has two Honorary Aunts who think Micheal does no wrong, and will tell you about it if you care to listen. So, yes, he is blessed.

Micheal knows there are people in this world who question homeschooling. There have been many people who have voiced their concerns, some to the point of being rude. So this is my rant to those people, the people who think being rude and demeaning is acceptable. While Micheal is normal and sweet and forgiving, I am not. I am a mother first and foremost in this world. I also have an open mind and alot of tolerance. But only to a point. This is that point. Stop harrasing us about homeschooling. Feel free to ask questions. I will be glad to discuss any aspect of homeschooling that you are interested in. I will be happy to show you our schedule or Micheal's grades. We are quite proud of both.

But, this is the part where my overprotective mother / redneck side shows through, please be polite. When you have allowed your children to spend the night at a friends house who you know nothing about, I didn't judge you. When you give me advice on parenting and you don't have children I have tolerated it. Yet, when you verbally attack my family, not me but them, about homeschooling you are ticking me off.

We homeschool because that is what is best for Micheal. As his parents we are entitled to determine what is best for him. The bible tell us this. The state tells us this. And I am telling you this. We are proud to homeschool, just as any parent should be proud of the choices they make for their child. If you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. But I am asking, for the last time, be polite or be silent.
© Copyright 2009 justme75 (bst2009 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525677-No-Im-Not-Normal