*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1526383-Diner
by Mey
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #1526383
The other side of the wheele
         The new customer creeped Becky out.

He was a tall, thin, unless Becky was mistaken an albino. She was sure that if she stared long enough she could see into him and watch his muscles twitch and move beneath the skin. He was wearing a white suit with a white shirt and a white tie.

He sat alone.

She was grateful he was in another waitress’s section, as she had enough trouble with the leeches who she was serving, without having to talk to him. Her shift was up in ten minute and then she just had to finish with her tables and she could leave.

She had her back to him when she felt it. A cold shiver down her spine, then a warm heat covering her. She knew what she was going to see when she turned around.

The Eyes gazed at her and she could only stare back into their depths. They were blue like ice but gray as well and purple and gold. There were more colors in them than she could know or name or see. She looked into them and saw eternity. She saw fate. She saw death. She stood. The look he gave her was one of board disinterest, to the casual observer it appended that he had caught her eye by accident as he surveyed the restaurant in which he was eating. He couldn’t fool Becky. She Saw.

After a second he looked away. A cup of tea had arrived for him. Jen delivered it.

Becky waited in the kitchen trying to catch Jen as she came in.

“Dose he creep you out?” she asked Jen.

“Which one?”

“The albino.”

“No really.”

“Doesn’t he seem a little….I dunno different from every body else?”

“Yeah he’s not trying to look up my skirt, but other than that no.”

“Whatever.”

Becky went back to work.

It was a long ten minutes.

She left work late. Her last table stayed long after they were finished their meal. All the while the albino watched.

When she walked out into the night she felt a wave of relief. She looked back, and was glad to be gone.

The night was warm, even more so than the diner. Her car was warmer still. The engine hummed to life gently, without much prodding.

She sped off eager to be gone of the dinner, eager to be gone of the eyes.

There was something wrong she realized. What was it? The street narrowed down to the illumination of her headlights. The wind whipped past. The clouds blew steadily across the moon.

Her headlights. That was it, or was it. Her head was foggy. She didn’t know what it was about them.

It wasn’t them that had her worried. It was the fact that it was only them. The lights were out. Streetlights failed to provide illumination.

She was just beginning to slow; her car had just hit thirty when it hit the man.

She never saw his face. She knew it was a he though. Just as she knew he was dead on impact. The hood crumpled and the window smashed inward. Blood flew. Her airbag deployed plunging her into a momentary darkness.

She lifted her face. The car was much further down the road than she remembered it being. Thankfully it had missed anything in the wild careen following impact. She got out gingerly. It hurt to breath. It hurt to walk.

She looked back down the street. The street looked back.

She was staring into eyes that were blue like ice but gray as well and purple and gold.

She looked into them and saw eternity.

She saw fate.

She saw death.

The lips beneath the eyes smiled.

“Welcome” they said.

© Copyright 2009 Mey (darkzem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1526383-Diner