*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527354-Cinamon-Toast
by Brian
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #1527354
A young boy attempts food preparation
I watched as Mom took the butter and put it in a bowl. Then she would add sugar and mix it in with the butter. Then came the best part - she pulled the gold tin of cinnamon from the spice cupboard and sprinkled it in the sugar butter mix and stir it in until it was a creamy brown spread. Then she would spread a thick layer on some fresh toast and it would melt in. Cinamon toast - mmmm.

As a 5 year old in grade 1, I could do things for myself, you know. So one Sunday morning while mom and dad were sleeping in, I took it upon myself to make my own cinnamon toast. I put some butter in a bowl. I mixed in some sugar - actually lots of sugar. Sugar is good. Then I pulled a chair and climbed up to the spice cupboard.

All the gold tins looked alike. But there was writing on the front of each, so I found the tin with the “C” at the start of the word. I sprinkled it and mixed it in. Mine was more red than Mom’s, but it was just as smooth.

Then the warm toast and spread it on. It melted in just like Mom’s. Now, the taste test.

Phewy...it tasted awful. I spit it in the sink. My mouth was burning. I poured water right from the tap into my mouth to cool the burn.

Mom ran to the kitchen hearing the noise, "What have you done? The place is a mess."

"I’m making cinnamon toast" I answered, with my mouth still burning.

"Then you should use cinnamon not cayenne pepper."

Apparently grade 1 spelling class wasn't up to par.
© Copyright 2009 Brian (borgford at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1527354-Cinamon-Toast