*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528539-The-Garlic-Clove
by Brian
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1528539
A middle aged couple find each other.
They reeked of garlic as they discussed traveling the world. Maybe it was a mistake to dine at The Garlic Clove restaurant which served all foods with excessive garlic.

She had just returned from a trip to Mexico – a getaway with her grown children after the death of her husband from cancer. He just lost his best friend to cancer – her husband; his friend; the same person.

They had known each other for over 25 years, but had never really talked. They never realized that they both wanted to travel the world.

She spent the last couple of years thinking about becoming a widow in her early fifties.

A divorce two years earlier left him a bachelor in his late forties.

Now their eyes lit as they discussed travel. Their faces glowed from the massive garlic intake.

Neither said “Happy Valentine’s Day”. The day was a coincidence, not a plan. They were not on a date.

She smiled at him and said, “Would you like to be my travel partner?”

He almost dropped a forkful of precious cheesecake (laced with garlic) at this bold suggestion. He tried not to look shocked, but did not want to let her slip away, by doing the respectable thing for a recent widow. He suddenly realized his feelings for her – and it wasn’t sympathy. But was it too soon?

“Sure.” he said sounding like the business man he was. “I am travelling to Toronto next month, wanna come along?”

“I’d love to.” She replied.

As they left the Garlic Clove, they dropped the pretense. He reached for her hand and she responded. The waves of garlic odor followed them, walking hand in hand to the car. Still, neither said “Happy Valentine’s Day”. From today, everyday would be Valentine’s Day.

(295 words)
© Copyright 2009 Brian (borgford at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528539-The-Garlic-Clove