*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529244-Youre-Not-Special
by Adrian
Rated: ASR · Essay · Crime/Gangster · #1529244
I was selling newspapers in NYC when I saw a man arrested for shoplifting.
    The best piece of advice I could give anyone is, “You’re not special!” Not that I am someone that anyone would ever seek for advice, but there it is. Everyone wants to believe that there is something that makes them different from everybody else in the world. Well I’ve been around this world a couple of times, and the only thing that’s true everywhere, is that we’re all the same. The only thing unique about me is my fingerprint.I’m not saying that some people aren’t better than others are, but everyone has some good.
    Most people that others would consider, “bad” are actually just terrible decision makers. Let’s look at an example: Starvin Marvin robs a convenience store for fifty dollars and a carton of smokes. He turns to leave, and the clerk reaches for the phone. Frightened of another stint in jail, Starvin Marvin shoots the clerk and runs. The police picked him up two blocks away, and he was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.So where did poor Marvin go wrong? Marvin thought he was special. Marvin thought he would not be caught. Most people sitting behind bars did not plan to be there. Why would they think they could get away with their crime when so many others had not? They thought they were special.
    Is Marvin a bad person? What if he was homeless, and hadn’t eaten in days. Does his desperation for life excuse him? So many people would say, “He knew better”. Marvin knew better, but he didn’t know a better way. He was a bad decision maker.Therefore, once one begins to understand the concept that they are not special, they will come to only one conclusion. The one thing that could make me unique is for others to think I’m special. If Marvin had treated someone else in his life good, then they would have thought he was special. When he was hungry, his friend would have fed him.
© Copyright 2009 Adrian (adrian31 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529244-Youre-Not-Special