*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529711-Hospital-Buddies
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #1529711
Two men meet under unusual circumstances.
"The Writer's Cramp winner, 2/17/09

Hospital Buddies



He couldn't believe the water that he loved had betayed him. How could something so beautiful harbor such a terrible disease and change his whole life so quickly.

The doctors said he had a mild case, but he wondered if they were telling hm the truth. He couldn't move his legs, and he felt so tired. How could he fulfill his dreams for the future as a cripple? He would not be a cripple. Never!

"What did you say?" a voice behind the curtain asked. It must be the fellow in the other bed.

"I'm just talking to myself," he said. "I'm sort of in shock. They just told me I have polio. What are you in for?"

I've got polio, too. They must have thought we'd be good company for each other. What's that saying....misery loves company? Where are you from?" he asked.

"I'm from New York. I'm here in New Brunswick on vacation. Some vacation. My name's Franklin Roosevelt."

"I'm John Simmons. I live here on the island. Been a fisherman all my life. Wonder how I'll do that now," he remarked.

"They're trying warm compresses on me," Franklin said. " Are they doing that for you?"

"Yes, that's about all. I don't think they know what to try. By the way, what do you do?"

"I work for a surety-bonding company. My office is in New York City. But I have big plans for my future, and I don't intend to let a little thing like polio slow me down."

The two men continued to chat and found they had lots in common. Both were married with children; both were in their late thirties. And neither intended to let polio win.

Years later after FDR was President, John never tired of telling everyone he met about his time in the hospital with Franklin.
© Copyright 2009 Happy April 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1529711-Hospital-Buddies