*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531115-The-Hunter
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1531115
A tale of betrayal and revenge...
I sat in the brush and weeds, hidden from everything except the mosquitoes that repeatedly bit my sweaty face.  It was a typical, humid September day in the Midwest.  I was burning up in my head to toe camos.  My finger slowly caressed the trigger of my gun, a nice little AK-47 that I’d picked up at an auction.  It’ll be a shame when I throw it in the lake. 

I’ve been here for over two hours.  Hopefully he’ll arrive soon.  He’s an avid hunter and deer season is about to begin.  His annual ritual is to stake out his site…the perfect place to shoot that perfect buck.  Little did he know that he was about to become the prey.

My wife and I had been married about four years.  It was far from a perfect marriage, but we’d always found a way to make it work.  Then he came into our lives.  Tall, muscular and smart, he was a perfect male specimen and he wanted my wife.

It’s funny, I disliked him from the moment I met him.  He was leaning against the wall of our family room.  We were having a party, an odd mix of people.  My friends were all salesmen, hers scientists.  With his long blonde hair and beard, he didn’t fit the mold of either group.  Something about him just bothered me.

Things had started to get weird at home.  We made love less and less.  She played on the company volleyball team and the games started lasting longer and longer.  She’d get home at midnight and say, “We all decided to grab something to eat after the game.”  I’d reach for her in bed and she’d turn away.  “I’m too tired” or “I’m too sore.”  Too sore from what?  We hadn’t had sex in weeks!

She started taking occasional business trips.  Then there’d be a weekend with a friend.  One day I came home from work to find her changing out of a bathing suit.  Her firm breasts looked white against her sun-burnt body.  “I decided to take the day off and go to the pool,“ she said as she headed into the bathroom.  I knew something wasn’t right.  I picked up her bikini bottom and put it to my nose.  She had been with him!  The stench of another man’s cum was more than I could take.  She came out of the bathroom and I threw her to the bed.  “You want sex?” I screamed.  “I’ll give you sex!”  I rammed my cock into her repeatedly.  She screamed with pain, but I didn’t care.

My heart began to pound when a flock of birds flew from the tree.  What had startled them?  Is he here?  My mind began to race.  The thoughts of him screwing my wife…the thoughts of what I was about to do!

He walked slowly down the trail, carefully checking each track, scrape and rub, hoping for signs of the big buck.  I slowly lowered my gun, fixing the sights on his body.  The safe thing was to shoot him from the distance.  He had a handgun on his side…no use letting him get the chance to use it.  But I wanted him to know it was me.

I waited and waited.  Would I spend the rest of my life in prison or would I be executed?  He was now within 20 feet of me.  He looked like the athlete he was.  Strong and lean, he played just about every sport.  Then it hit me.  I wouldn’t kill him.  I lowered my gun, fixed the sights on his knee and squeezed the trigger.

He lay on the ground writhing in pain.  It looked like his athletic days were behind him!  As I walked toward him I could see the terrified look in his eyes.  The same look that the deer he usually slayed would’ve had.  He scrambled to get away, but his severely mangled leg wouldn’t allow it.  I was amazed at the amount of damage one bullet had caused.  And I was amazed at how good I felt.  I walked past him, smiled and walked on down the trail.



© Copyright 2009 Ken Fairchild (funlover941 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531115-The-Hunter