*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531425-Tragic-Circumstances
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #1531425
Things just never work out sometimes.
“I’m sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” Dr. Jake Hinkson ,a pediatrician heart specialist, intently search the young parents' faces. “Megan needs surgery now. We can't wait much longer."

“We know, Doctor, we know. But, we don't have the $1000 the hospital requires to admit Megan. We have no insurance since James lost his job."

“I understand, Mrs. Smith, but not repairing the hole in Megan's heart will be catastrophic.”

The Smiths returned to their two-room apartment in a shabby brick building near the hospital as the daylight waned. James’ heart was as empty as his wallet. They couldn’t buy milk, much less an operation. They prayed until their knees were swollen. James was as desperate as a Grizzly trying to protect her cubs from danger. He sat at their card table most of the night staring at the dusty clock on the wall without realizing it was no longer running.

The next day James got out his daddy’s old gun and slipped it in his pocket while Martha bathed Megan. “I’m going out for a while. Be back soon, girls.” He kissed Megan’s downy head and Martha’s tear-streaked cheek. His wife attempted a smile that didn't quite materialize.

Freezing rain pelted James as he trudged toward First State Bank. He didn't want to think about what he was going to do. He didn't know if his shaking was from the weather or nerves…not that it mattered. But, he had made up his mind and continued striding toward the bank.

It was a small bank with no security guard. James went to the customer table with various forms and wrote on a deposit slip. Two women tellers stood behind the counter and James chose to approach the older lady. He cleared his throat, pointed the gun, and handed her a note that said, "Be quiet and give me all the money."

The woman read the note, looked at James, and began screaming. “Robber! Robber! Call the police!”

Reflexively, James pulled the trigger. Click! Nothing happened.

James turned the gun around, stared down the barrel, and pulled the trigger again.

This time it worked.


Words: 353
© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531425-Tragic-Circumstances