*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1532914-The-Second-Time-Around
by Ritz
Rated: E · Essay · Contest Entry · #1532914
What would you wish
The Second Time Around

I was born into a large family of notoriety.  My father was known around the world in the circles that care. My mother, also famous in her own right..  My siblings and I were raised knowing that we too would follow their steps as they had followed their parents.  Some of us would be good at it, some great and a few would be a true disappointment to the family line.

We were educated by the best and trained hard at what ever was put in front of us.  We were given little time to play and even less affection but we knew no different and we were happy to just be part of this world.

It was easy when we were young to pick out those that would fail and those that would be great. The rest of us just fought to be seen. Those that would fail did not continue on training and we saw less and less of them as we continued on.

At our peaks we were tested for our capacity to be winners. Again we lost some of our brothers and sisters to failure. As adults we each went our separate way and occasionally saw each other. We’d hear of more failures and more winners.

One day I realised I was done. I had seen my last day in the family of notoriety.  I was cut off. 
I moved from place to place for a while and finally ended up here.  It is warm, friendly and full of affection. Every one here finds time to be with me, talk with me, walk with me and they expect nothing but the same back.

I have been given a second chance at a great life and I will be great in this role. I am the family dog, a greyhound.  I am no longer a racing champion from grand champion stock.  I am just a dog. I have a family that loves, cuddles, and plays with me.  If I want to run, they will even try to run with me.

I loved being a race dog and running that track with the wind in my face but this is so very much more.

It has been a few years since I came here and my days on earth are coming to a close. I have but one wish.  If I get a second time around, I would wish to do it all again knowing I will end up here when I can no longer race!
© Copyright 2009 Ritz (alice_ritz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1532914-The-Second-Time-Around