*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535532-Pops-Eulogy
Rated: 13+ · Other · Experience · #1535532
Through death comes understanding.
This was written earlier this year.  I was asked to speak at 'Pop's funeral, this is what I said.  This isn't written as a writing exercise so please excuse any grammar issues*Smile*

My best friends father died last night.
When i first met Pop i instantly fell 'in love' with him. Not in a romantic way but in a father/daughter way. My own father died when i was 14 and my grandfather when i was 21. Both their deaths were sudden with no opportunity to say goodbye, just savagely ripped from my life. I was left with gaping holes in my heart wondering why death had to be so blunt.
Pop (my best friends dad) epitomized everything i wished I'd  had in a father figure. He was hard working, family orientated, warm and loving. One cross word from him could have me in tears just as quickly as a smile had me joyful.
He had been sick for sometime. It was so hard seeing this giant of a man wither away physically but his indomitable spirit remained.
As Pop's time came close i was allowed the gift of participating in the process of his passing. Death had always been something that happened to me. It had never been a process where i was able to express my gratitude for being a part of his life, thank him for treating my children like his grandchildren and thank him for raising such a wonderful daughter who would become my very best friend.
I had never seen death as beautiful but last night i was privy to the most beautiful experience of death that will change the way I view life forever.

The room had a warm enveloping comfort. The flicker of candlelight dancing over the faces of loved ones gathered around the tired body of an old man. The subtle music could have easily been the heart songs of those present as their energies blended to give the room a feel of anticipatory readiness. There was no anxiety, no pain, no emotional grabbing. The acceptance of what was coming was palpable.
Through the quiet of the moment something changed. For the first time in days pop opened his eyes. Gazing over at his wife he smiled  before turning to the room full of those who loved him, summoning all his strength, he raised his arm and waved.
One single, solitary, wave as he departed this life.
His chest became still, his eyes closed and the man i knew as pop slipped peacefully into another dimension.
There were no howls of protest, no 'please don't go'.  Silent tears of relief, love and joy slipped effortlessly down the faces of those gathered.
How beautiful was this scene. My heart broke under the enormity of what i had just experienced. In an instant the universe came to me, revealing the beauty and purpose in everything that happens. How often do we completely miss these auspicious occasions because we are so wrapped up in our own sense of loss.
I learned something so very very big last night. I have come to realize that i know nothing, i realize that this life i live is part of something so much bigger than i could have ever imagined and for the first time ever i have no regrets whatsoever for anything in my life. Every mistake, every poor decision, every deliberately negative thing i have ever done has been woven in to a complex tapestry, taken into account and utilized in the creation of a world that is being born right before my eyes.
I am truly and wonderfully blessed.
© Copyright 2009 Rogue♥Sherri (rogue_red at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535532-Pops-Eulogy