*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535566-The-Funeral
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1535566
The pale face that was no longer living
I looked at the tombstone as a few people started to gather around the body. I glanced at the name and grunted a small cry. Best Father/Husband/Uncle, I wasn’t sure if he truly was the best. He could’ve done so much more. I touched the tomb and the engraving of the message. I felt the gravel as I moved my hand over the tomb. It was touching to know I could be this close and not be seen. I turned to see the body and the pale face that was no longer living. We both had the same suit on, black jacket, black pants, black tie. I used to say that black makes me look significant; now I wish I never had to wear it.

“Put him in”

They lowered the body into the grave as the few people there began to cry and the preacher began to preach. I walked away from the scene towards the trees not wanting to see how the funeral would turn out. They cry now, but within the next few days they’ll forget he ever existed.

“Why’d you leave?”

I looked up to see a man with a trimmed beard and shaggy hair staring down at me. He was wearing a grey suit that was torn from too much wear and tear throughout the years. As he stared at me he pulled out some sunglasses to hide his eyes. I almost didn’t think he was talking to me until he sat next to me and asked again. “You can see me?” I asked.

“Well, of course,” he said. “You didn’t think you were the only one, did you?”

“I guess not.”

He removed his sunglasses as he took a look at what was happening at the funeral. He walked over to it leaving me alone as he examined the body and watched as they covered it up with dirt. When he came back and sat next to me again he didn’t say anything.

We sat there for a while. I’m not sure how long, time no longer has meaning for me, but when he finally said something it was mumbled and I didn’t hear him.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s not what you expected, is it?” He asked.

“Well,” I thought about the answer before I said anything. It wasn’t what I neither expected nor wanted to happen. “I guess I just thought there would be more people at my funeral.”
© Copyright 2009 Antwan Micheals (kidom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535566-The-Funeral