*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535622-Assignment---NV-100-Novel-IV---Lesson-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Mystery · #1535622
Chapter One of The Dentist's Niece
My husband is a doctor and that sometimes automatically befriends me to members of the medical community. I'm not sure why that is, maybe doctors are just empathetic with each other and their families. For instance, my dentist feels quite at ease with me and will speak to me in confidence. A few years back he really let the cat out of the bag and told me that he enjoys wearing women's clothing. He quickly added that he is also heterosexual, but,just loves to cross dress. This all being intimated while my mouth was wide open and no opportunity to respond. Most people would have swallowed their spit and hit the door wearing a bib. As for me, I lead a somewhat dull existence as a stay-at-home mom and daydreamer. If I could hear stories like his, I'd have him put crowns on all of my teeth.

What makes Dr. Dave even more interesting, is that he isn't in the least feminine. Big honking, donkey laugh and his tall, lanky form makes for a comical man, as a woman he would be hilarious. One time I came in and his face looked burned and raw where his beard would be. He noticed my concern and explained that he was having his beard removed so that he made a more believable woman. I choked back my comments and laughter and expressed my understanding of his dedication to his hobby.

Dr. Dave is a good dentist and I trust him with my children. He's quirky, but honest. He doesn't have all the fancy gadgets in his office to rack up procedure costs. He simply treats what ails you and works on prevention. This makes him a somewhat middle class fellow, his only apparent extravagance is going to Manhattan on weekends to hang out with guys and gals of his ilk. They dress up in their fantasy apparel and try to seduce one another, in search of the perfect transvestite relationship. It can be confusing. As I said, most of what he tells me is during his procedures and I have no opportunity to ask questions.

Sheryl was Dr. Dave's assistant for 12 years. She was loved by everyone who came through the door. Always a bright smile and a warm greeting, she seemed to be an old friend. In fact, she was Dr. Dave's best friend. They hung out together at lunchtime, he told about his life and she told about hers. When she was in financial crisis, he would give her money. She cried on his shoulder when there were family troubles. And there was plenty of that. Brothers with drug addictions, angry mother-in-law, sick father, sick mother, etc. Dave told me that she had to bear the family's woes on her shoulders. This was her excuse for drinking. Dave tried to help her in all ways that he could. He sent her to rehab, he listened to her, talked to her husband. But when she started drinking at work, that was all Dave could take. He had to let her go. And when he did, it was final. Sheryl became irate, a side of her that Dave had not seen in all the twelve years that they were together.

After Sheryl left, Dave started losing patients. He put two and two together and decided people were hearing rumors. This was a small town. Even feeling slighted by the other dentists in town, Dave started to feel somewhat paranoid.

A while back, I called Dave for an appointment for my eight-year-old. He sounded okay and we chatted about the state of my darling daughter's teeth. Abruptly, he blurted out, "My brother's daughter was killed." Of course my reaction was shock and I wanted to know more. "How?", I asked. "The report says that she was hit by a car, a hit and run. It was Christmas Eve after our family party.", he replied.

I had a lot of questions. And this time his hands were not in my mouth. . . . . .







Word count: 668
© Copyright 2009 Timothee (timi2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535622-Assignment---NV-100-Novel-IV---Lesson-2