*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1536551-Moments-Of-Imperfect-Clarity--Chapt-2
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1536551
Laney finds out why Aaron has avoided her since that snowy night.
    Laney Dobbs answered the final question on the test, the last one she’d take of her career at Remington College.  She was nervous, but not about whether she’d pass or fail, but rather she beat Aaron Felding on his final score.  She’d just assume beat his final average, but she didn’t think that was possible, not that she hadn’t given it her best shot.

    Ever since the few hours they’d shared while stranded in a snow storm at his uncle’s cabin, he’d been quiet and indifferent around her – except in class.  In class, he’d been his usual arrogant self, or worse, arguing with her on every subject she dared raise her opinion on.

    What was his problem?  Had it been that kiss?  Was that what’d scared him away?  Or was it the fact that she was a mom and had way more than just her hands full with her now, eighteen month old son, Jacob?  She couldn’t be sure.  She was angry and let down, but he really had no obligation when it came to her.  All she knew was that she hadn’t been able to get him out of her mind after that night.  She’d seen a totally different Aaron – a sweet and gentle kind of guy, not the stiff that sat only two seats ahead of her. 

    He was already done and had been for the past ten minutes.  She handed in her test paper and Mr. Borden asked that she stay after class once everyone was finished.  Aaron was finished and sat at his desk, as she did.  Oh boy. 

    Just as she figured, the last person turned in their exam and Mr. Borden called them both to his desk.  She stood next to Aaron, who looked her up and down and then shrugged.  Mr. Borden stood up and laced his fingers together. 

    “I just wanted to thank you both for bringing such diverse thoughts and opinions to my class discussions.  You are both highly intelligent people and I have no doubt that you’ll succeed in what you do.  As each of you know, this test counts for almost half of your final grade for the semester.  I’ve taken the liberty of correcting both of your exams.  Would you like to know your scores?”

    They each shook their heads, both eager.

    “You both earned a perfect score.  Mr. Felding, this is your final score for this class.”  He held up his log book, away from Laney’s field of vision.  “Miss Dobbs, here is your final score.”  She read off a 3.9.  Aaron’s had to be a 4.0 - had to be.

    “Thank you Mr. Borden.”  Aaron said, trying to leave already.  She breathed in a whiff of that familiar scented aftershave and it occurred to her this was the first time they’d been in such close proximity since that night at the cabin. 

    “Oh, Mr. Felding.  I wanted to say, that I’m sorry to hear about your father.  You should be proud that you kept up with your studies through such an ordeal.” 

    Aaron shifted to the side, clearly uncomfortable.  “Thanks.” 

    Laney was dumbfounded.  What had happened?  What ordeal with his father? 

    “And Miss Dobbs?”  Mr. Borden continued. 

    What now?  She thought.

    Mr. Borden extended his hand.  “The best of luck at Baruch University.” 

    “Thanks Mr. Borden.”

    It was Aaron’s turn to appear surprised. 
    Now that she knew his father’s illness and death had contributed to his distance since December, she had things to think about.  She was so dumbstruck; she headed out the door, right past him.  For being a quick thinker, she was stumped on this one. 

    “Laney, wait.”  She heard him call before she reached the hallway door to leave.  “Congratulations – on the final, and Baruch.” 

    “Thanks, you didn’t do too bad yourself.  I, ah, I’m sorry about your dad too.”  She found herself saying.  God this was awkward.

    “I want to explain about that.”  He started.

    Laney pushed her purse strap up on her shoulder.  “It’s fine, really.  You don’t have to.” 

    But he blocked her way out.  Something in his brown eyes made her stay put.  Damn, if she hadn’t looked into his eyes she would’ve made it past him out the door.

    “I should’ve told you that he was sick.” 

    She shrugged and lifted her chin.  “Why didn’t you?”

    Aaron seemed sincere in his distress.  “He went downhill very fast after that night we were stuck out at the cabin.”

    “You could’ve told me.  I would’ve understood.”  She was beginning to sound a tiny bit desperate so her pride swelled a notch to counter that. 

    He held out his hands.  “I couldn’t drag you into something like that, my grief.  You have your son, school and your job to deal with.  You didn’t need my problems on top of all that.”

    “I’m a big girl, Aaron.  You should’ve trusted that I could’ve at least been your friend through something like that.  I do care about you, you know?” 

    Man, she should be going easier on him.  But damn, it’d been five months!  When had he passed away?  Had she been so busy with school that she’d neglected to see it in the paper?

    “You’re transferring?” 

    She nodded, thankful for the change of subject.  “It’s a scholarship I applied for.  I have just enough saved for Jacob and I to room with a few of my girlfriends from high school, who go there.  They’re amazing to take on me and my son.”

    “Do you think that’s a good idea?”  Aaron asked scratching the back of his neck. 

    “Excuse me?”  Laney asked, not believing that he would question her authority on parenting. 

    “I mean with your son, that’s all.  All that partying that goes on in college.”

    “We’re going to have our own part of the house.”  She stated. 

    Aaron shook his head.  “Sorry, I was only asking.”  He knew he’d stepped on her toes.

    “Look, I appreciate you trying to explain things.  But really, it’s okay.  I’m okay.”  She put a hand to her chest to emphasize her point.  She never thought he’d come close to graveling, but here he was. 
    It was such an awkward moment that she made an excuse to flee before they could subtly close the conversation.  Still, as she drove her pick up home, she felt better and worse about many things concerning Aaron. 

    She should’ve gone easier on him.  He’d just lost his father.  She hopped out of the pick-up and slung her purse back in the cab.  Her mother was carrying Jacob down the steps.  Laney’s mouth turned up in a huge grin with a hint of the over bite left that her dentist worked so hard to correct when she’d been a child.

    “Hey Brewster!”  She said, holding her arms out to him.  The chubby little boy leaned forward into Laney’s arms.  Nothing could compare to the love she felt for her little boy. 

    “How’d the exam go?”  Her mother asked, crossing her arms.  She wore an anxious look on her careworn face. 

    “A 4.0, but a 3.9 for a final grade.  Laney said, sure her mother would be satisfied.  “Did you know that Aaron Felding’s dad passed away?”

    A sigh escaped her mother’s lips and she looked away from Laney.  “Yes, yes.  Your dad and I didn’t want to say anything to you because you were so bent on competing with him for a higher grade average.  I thought it would deter you from putting the effort forth.”

    “Mom!”  Laney exclaimed.  But her mother had no idea of the kiss that transpired between she and Aaron back in December. 

    “Is Jacob’s car seat in your car?” 

    “Yes, why?”

    “I have to go talk to him.” 

    She headed in to pack a small diaper bag for Jacob.  Her mother was bringing in a basket full of freshly dried clothing from the line, when she scooted past her with Jacob. 

    “I put his seat in your truck.”

    “Thanks Mom!  We should be home for dinner.”

    She thought she could find his mom’s house fairly easy.  She’d heard him say something about it being on Orchard Road, at one point during the school year.  But the roads on the outskirts of Stalker, NY could be tricky.  Every which way she turned, they all looked the same. 

    Jacob was happily sucking on his pacifier and kicking his feet to the beat of Lou Bega’s “Mambo Number 5”. 

    “Haven’t I seen that pony before?”  She wondered out loud as she passed by a familiar farm.
But it was only familiar because she’d passed by it four times!  A bit down the road, she pulled over on a wide shoulder so she could think a moment.

    I should take Jacob home.  I’m wasting gas.  She told herself.

  Taking a good look around where she’d parked.  There was a hill that sloped down to the road on her left and to her right, a steep bank that ended in a twisting creek. 

    A clamoring noise caught her attention on the hill above.  Laney turned her head in time to see a doe crashing down through the brush.  The scared animal stumbled out onto the road and froze. 

    With all silent, Laney could hear a vehicle approaching around the corner.  She hopped out of the truck, without a thought and tried to shoo the doe out of the road.  It had no way to go but down to the creek, but the doe stood still. 

    When she saw a blazer round the corner, in a last ditch effort to keep the doe from getting hit, she ran at it.  The blazer screeched to a halt within inches from Laney’s side.  Oh God, it was Aaron.  The deer, upon hearing the horrible sound of rubber on the pavement, bolted for the bank that led to the creek.  She followed Aaron’s eyes as he watched the deer scamper out of sight. 

    He pulled over where she was parked and got out of his blazer.  Laney put her hands in her pockets and made her way out of the road.  Aaron got to her before she could reach him and laid his shaking hands on her shoulders.  “Laney, are you nuts?  I almost killed you!”  he nearly yelled.

    Wow, Aaron in panic mode - and worried about her.  He just went up a few notches on her scale of “sexy”.  She bit her lip to keep from smiling.  Apparently it didn’t work.  Neither did looking everywhere, but in his eyes.

    “Are you smiling?”  He asked, sounding cross.

    She kept quiet, but her smile grew broader. 

    “What are you doing out here?”  He still sounded frantic.  “Damnit, my heart’s beating a mile a minute.”

    Hers too.  She tucked a strand of her straight brown hair behind her ear and said, “I didn’t want you to hit the deer.”

    “Hit the - ”  He threw up his hands and gestured to the creek below.  I’d have rather hit the deer, thank you.  Leave it to you to get yourself killed saving an animal that will probably end up in someone’s freezer come December!” 

    Before she could say anything else, Jacob cried out, “Mommy!  Mommy!” 

    Laney lost all focus.  “Oh, Brewster, Mommy’s coming!”  She ran around to the passenger side of the pick-up and opened the quad cab door. 

    She unbuckled Jacob and lifted him out of his car seat.  The chubby boy clapped his hands and smiled at Aaron, who’d followed her to the truck.  She turned around to find him staring at her son.  He looked amazed, or awestruck.  “What?”  She said, looking at Jacob, then back to Aaron.

    “I’ve seen him from far away before, but up close, man he looks so much like you.” 

    Laney tilted her head and smiled.  “Yeah, well, genetics, you know.” 

    Jacob extended his hand to Aaron.  “Bubby.”  He said.  This earned a smile from Aaron.

    “Bubby?”  He asked taking Jacob’s little hand.

    Laney laughed.  “Must be he likes you.”

    “Hm.  So, what are you doing out this way?” 

    “Looking for you, actually.”  She adjusted Jacob on her hip.  “We got lost.” 

    He gestured around the corner where he’d come from.  “We’re right around the corner.  Gray house.” 

    “Are you serious?  We’ve been down this road four times!”  She exclaimed.

    “What did you want?”  He asked.

    Jacob reached out with both hands and yelled, “Bubby!”
   
    Aaron started to take him from Laney. 

    “Are you sure you want to hold him?  He’s pretty heavy.”

    Aaron gave a determined nod and secured one arm under Jacob’s rump, and one behind his back, then looked at Laney waiting for her to answer.

    “Oh.  I was going to tell you that I am sorry about your Dad.” 

    “You did earlier.”

    “I know that, but I’ve been so, I don’t know, rough on you through school and I could’ve cut you some slack today.”

    Aaron held up a finger, and then walked slowly to his Blazer with Jacob still in his arms.  “I have a truck for him to play with.  It kinda looks like yours.”  He opened the door and grabbed for the glove box handle.  Jacob gave a big shout when Aaron produced the blue matchbox truck.

    “I didn’t know you were so good with kids.”  Laney said.

    “It takes a little more than carrying them around and giving them a treat to be good with them.”  He told her.

    There he goes.  She thought.  Patronizing jerk.  Sexy patronizing jerk.

    “I’d like to try though.” 

    Laney stopped.  What had he said? 

    Aaron turned around.  It looked absolutely natural for him to be holding her son. 

    “You can close your mouth now.  Why don’t you and Jacob follow me back to the house for dinner?”

    Laney didn’t know what to say.  She found herself smiling though.  “Okay.”  She nodded.  “Sounds good.” 

    Aaron put his hand on the small of her back as he walked her back to her truck and she couldn’t help but think of how things had taken a turn once again.

       
© Copyright 2009 Heather Bahl (keycheck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1536551-Moments-Of-Imperfect-Clarity--Chapt-2