*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539127-Eulogy-for-Dad
Rated: ASR · Essay · Other · #1539127
Thoughts about my Dad.
On Monday, March 9, my wife and I drove 1600 miles in 27 non-stop hours to get to my dad's bedside in a Bangor (Maine) hospital.

He never left ... and four nights later he passed away. I'd like to share a few of my thoughts written the night before his passing.

        "He's a fighter, my dad is. Even while he was hooked up to monitors and meds he was fighting to survive. Though he had a breathing tube set to 16 respirations per minute, he took control of his destiny breathing at 25 to 27 respirations per minute.

        "Each time a new family member arrived, he would make the supreme effort to acknowledge the visit by opening his eyes and looking at that person. The nurses told us this was the equivalent of a man lifting a very heavy weight--he was that weak. Yet he succeeded every time.

        "Dad saw his first great-granddaughter, Aurora--my youngest daughter, Valerie's daughter. Dad checked out my oldest daughter, Jennifer's engagement ring and wedding announcement printed specially for him and Deb. Dad responded to Kimberly, my middle daughter's persistent cajoling to look at the wonderful smile she had for him.

        "And Dad shed a tear as I whispered in his ear that I loved him.

        "Yes, my dad has always been a fighter. A man who took care of his family through hard times and good, a man who made sure we never wanted for anything, and a man who I admired more than anyone."

I wrote those words less than twenty-four hours before he left us.  I know my Dad cared for you all too.  And I want to thank each of you for helping us celebrate his life.
© Copyright 2009 JACE - House Targaryen (sybaritescribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539127-Eulogy-for-Dad