*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540042-A-Day-in-the-Life
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1540042
A bank robber has a bad day at work. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: Story must be about a bank robbery

A Day in the Life

Tony looked around at the bloody carnage and thought, I have got to find a new line of work.

The day had started off so well. Dorothy, his youngest daughter had shown him her A+ vocabulary test. He had stuck it proudly on the refrigerator door. Sue, the wife had been exceptionally warm and welcoming this morning; a condition he accepted gratefully even though he knew there was something behind it; maybe a new pair of shoes.

Even the new puppy was performing well. It had moved its “potty” area from the center of the living room to an area behind the sofa. This meant that he could pretend not to notice the smell until he left for work. At that point, it became someone else’s problem.

Now, as he stood there with a bag holding his version of a 401K plan, he could only shake his head and sigh. Off to his left, was a dead guard; to his right was Lefty Malone. The two had shot it out a few moments earlier. They were both exceptional shots and now they were both exceptionally dead.

The cops had shown up almost immediately. Note to self, he thought. Never hold up a bank across from Dunkin Donuts. The boys in blue had apparently failed to read the hostage negotiation manual. Their idea of step one was to lob a crate of smoke bombs in the general direction of the alarm screaming out of the bank. The result was a bank and street with near zero visibility.

Tony knew he would have to shoot his way out; tough way to go but everyone had a bad day at work from time to time. At least this day can’t get any wor…, he half-thought, just as the overhead sprinklers kicked on.

Work count 299


© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1540042-A-Day-in-the-Life