*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541148-Destiny
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1541148
my entry for prompt vampire
Destiny

" Each man is the architect of his own destiny." - Appius Claudius Caecus

4:00 a.m.
         This was nothing new. Alfred Dafoy sat in the passenger seat of a black Oldsmobile. Through the menthol cigarette smoke and tinted windows he could just make out the playground across the street, a set of swings, a slide and a merry-go-round. Beyond that was a soccer field and another fence, and, although he couldn't see them in the enveloping darkness, he knew that they were there. He had driven by this particular school enough times in the daylight that the school grounds were etched in his mind. He also knew that just past the far fence lay a copse of poplar and willow brush, common to these parts. An excellent spot for what he intended to do. This was nothing new to Alfred, and so he calmly smoked in the silence and waited.

7:41 a.m.
         Destiny Morgan walked alone, swinging her backpack lazily by her side. She watched the ground as she went, her eyes probing the concrete for anything interesting. She stopped once to pick up a penny. Placing her backpack on the ground beside her, she closed her eyes and wished for a puppy that she could love and take care of. She placed the penny in her left shoe like her Mom had taught her, picked up her pack and carried on toward the school. She did not notice the black car that drove slowly past her, and she did not see the smoking man staring at her from behind the wheel. She walked slowly up the steps and opened the doors to the school, daydreaming about the puppy she had wished for.


3:00 p.m.
         The bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. Destiny put her books in her pack.  She looked around at all the other girls and boys talking, patting one another on the back, saying their goodbyes. I am so different from them, she thought as she walked out into the afternoon sunshine. She turned toward home, thinking again of puppies.

3:09 p.m.
         Destiny walked right by Alfred Dafoy as he lay waiting in the leaves and shrubbery. For the briefest moment he paused, something seemed wrong. Nerves, he told himself, and he sprang up, clutching at Destiny’s backpack. He caught hold of it and pulled her deep into the undergrowth, awash with a feeling of power and lust. Spittle gathered at the corner of his mouth. He marveled at how calm she was. Not one scream, no fear at all in her eyes, just a piercing coldness. She lay back into the leaves, letting him part her legs. He unzipped his pants.  Easier than I imagined, he thought.  Suddenly, Destiny clawed into his back and pulled his neck toward her mouth with a surprising strength and ferocity. Destiny’s fangs bit deep into Alfred’s neck, and he realized far too late that he had become his victim's victim.

3:27 p.m.
         "Hi sweetie, anything exciting happen at school today?"  Mrs. Morgan inquired as Destiny walked though the doorway.
         "Well, we learned a little bit about evolution." she answered with a smirk. "And I found a lucky penny!"





© Copyright 2009 S. James Souter (wehoyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1541148-Destiny