*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542402-Industrialization-of-Imperialism-DBQ
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Thesis · History · #1542402
Relationship between technology and 19th century imperialism and impact on colonial people
Note: I recieved a 97. :) Hopefully this can help you. It is a Document-Based Question Essay.

If you want the documents used, feel free to message and I can email them to you within a day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Industrialization of Imperialism

Imperialism and technology were closely entwined during the 19th century, helping to obtain, and maintain empires of the age. The impact of imperialism onto the colonial peoples affected themselves and their lifestyle economically, culturally, and politically.

Economically, ship-building, as said, by Macgregor Laird in [Document 3], ‘every river is laid open to us, time and distance is shortened.’ Using the technology of the ship and 9open) water routes help[ed] enhance imperialism, by obtaining the necessities. Shipping distances, according to [Document 4], by using the canals, have decreased the amount of time and distance it takes to transport these raw materials. In [Document 7], Joshi states that ‘we are not opposed to the growth of railroads. They are good in their own way as providing cheap transit, and promoting national solidity, and facilitating trade movement. But it is on no grounds justified in bringing the foreigner with his talent and capital (treason) into the country, and suffering him to appropriate permanently the national field of improvement-..’ The Natives of Bengal, as in [Document 8] that these such actions ‘nearly superseded the introduction of the fabrics of Great Britain into Bengal, to the great prejudice of native manufactures.’

In their culture, the Chinese were constantly ruled by imperialism. One obstacle that helped them back, however, as mentioned in [Document 1], weapons were a problem. The Chinese ‘bow and spear, small guns, and native-made cannon cannot resist the rifles. The sailing boats, junks, and gunboats cannot oppose their steam-engined warships,’ leaving the people without any defense methods for hope and life, and killing thousands. British military diseased also skyrocketed in Africa from Malaria, stated in [document 2], killing from 15 to 750 people per 1000, until quinine’s introduction, bringing numbers down to 16 to 100. Despite the drop, many suffered, and died, during these hardships, causing riots, grudges, etc. Many cultures paid the price of industrialization taking place. In [document 6], Willis states that the ‘colonial powers will not permit that the rich and as yet comparatively undeveloped counties of the tropics should by entirely wasted by being devoted merely to the supply of food and clothing wants of their own people-…’ Many cultures, only wanted for what they could supply others, with nothing in return, experienced this. Amir Boktor, in [document 10] said that these ‘English technical schools do not take into account the needs of the country. Europeans were the only ones employed everywhere, save the motormen and conductors, because so few were allowed to go to these schools, killing off and leaving thousands in poverty.  In [Document 13], the overseas telegraph cables, built by Great Britain, allowed an even more indispensable race towards imperialism.

Via politics, the people had little say in the things that took place. In Japan & Korea’s peace treaty, [document 5], railroads were installed, in very inconvenient locations, inside Korea’s boundaries, along with unwelcome foreign trade, nearly because it only effectively pushed them further into poverty as the economy rose. The Iranian and Anglo-Persian oil companies, also allowed trade interspersed for the transit of natural gas, changing many lifestyles and traditions, upsetting the balance of nature culturally, as said in [document 9]. In [document 11], cities ruled by officials and ruling of oil and forests, gave very little freedom to the people. Finally, in [Document 12], Udo Akpabio states that ‘things have changed very much. The beginnings of colonial administration and taxation have not all been well.’ People were promised more money for certain raw materials, but the Europeans did not follow through, effectively creating distrust amoung the colonial peoples.

Overall, the effects of economic, cultural, and political imperialism greatly affected the [colonial] peoples after the Industrial Revolution, allowing certain cultures and civilizations grudges, distrust, misfortune, and poverty upon them that would be very hard to overcome.


© Copyright 2009 Gabranth (gabranth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1542402-Industrialization-of-Imperialism-DBQ