*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1545460-Pay-Backs
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1545460
A moment in time makes a difference in two people's lives forever


I pushed through the crowd around the baggage carousel and snagged my suitcase.

Winter in Minnesota for a seminar, was not my choice. Who wants to spend a pre-holiday weekend in this cold, snow packed city? I was ready for these meetings, Women in Power, the concept felt heady.

Pushing through the crowd toward the door, it opened to a blast of cold air. I pulled my knitted scarf around my neck up, to cover my mouth.

“Please, leave me alone.” I heard a fierce plea from my right. A woman hanging on to a young child backed away from three men crowding her toward the exit.

In that moment I knew exactly what she was feeling. Fear and anger flooded my body providing heat against the cold wind blowing at me. I wanted to stomp over there and start throwing those men around and cracking heads. That wasn't going to happen, even though I'd taken defensive training and felt ready for anything, I'd never had to use it. I also learned not to put myself into a situation I couldn’t handle. Three large men against two woman were not odds I liked even with a crowd of people just a few feet away.

I looked around for a security officer nearby. None in the area, along with an empty Information Booth. Other people standing near, busy meeting their loved ones didn't notice anything wrong. I turned back to see the men trying to herd her toward the door more aggressively.

I took a chance and a deep breath, “Hey!” I used a loud cheery voice and hurried to her brushing the men aside. I placed myself between the woman and two of the men, but turning her toward me.

“I thought I was going to miss you. My phone died and I couldn’t call. Thank goodness you got my earlier message. I got a taxi for us.” Rapidly talking, I took her arm and moved her closer to the crowd. Patting her little girl’s arm, “You're growing so big, I can’t believe it. Come on, let’s go, we have so much to catching up to do.” I tugged the woman’s arm; she grabbed the handle of her suitcase and followed me.

One of the men started to step forward. “Don’t even think of it Buddy,” I held up my fist showing the top of a small canister. He stepped back.

Outside we didn’t talk until I bundled everyone into a cab along with our luggage.

“Thank you. I don’t know what to say. I-“ She turned to me.

“Don’t. I've been there. I’m Ellen, where're you going?”

“I am Tara and this is Renee. I bought a ticket to get away, but my flight was canceled. The plans I had were already in place. I guess the airlines called my husband to let him know the flight situation and he sent those men.” There were no tears, only the hard set of her mouth.

“He's going to know where we are by just contacting the cab company.” I began to worry about what I'd gotten myself into.

“I can hide out in a shelter until my flight leaves.” She stared out the side window; Renee lay curled in her arms sucking her thumb.

“Tara, I'm booked into a suite, stay with me. Those men are going to be camped out at the airport. I'll be here for three days, in that time we can dye and cut your hair, and Renee’s. We'll tint Renee’s skin on the day we leave. With new suitcases and destination, you can be safe.”

“How will I ever be able to thank you?” This time tears pooled in her eyes.

“You don’t. There will come a time in your life when you'll need to step out of your comfort zone and reach out to help someone in need. Be there for that person.” I looked out the window. I knew now how Nancy felt the day she picked me off the streets after I'd been beaten by my pimp. Here I was again repaying for that act of kindness. I'll do it again and again, as often as I'm able.

© Copyright 2009 Quick-Quill (thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1545460-Pay-Backs