*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1545753-Reasons-Why-I-Write
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1545753
Essay for the Holding Pond. Sort of a biography of the soul.
When I'm alone with my thoughts I often think about the person I am. I have many titles, and they change as I change, but through the years, since I was very young, I have always been in my heart an artist, a poet. I can't imagine my life before drawing, and even before I had the skills, I knew there was poetry in my soul.

Through much of my youth, I struggled with putting my thoughts down in written form. I found it too personal to record them in such a permanent fashion. Art was a way for me to express myself without definite words. The observer often sees as much what the artist intended as they do their own thoughts, desires, emotions. I could allow my thoughts and feelings to flow without questions about the meaning, about my pain. To many, they saw only a pretty picture; few saw the sad eyes or the loneliness and powerlessness of the person behind the picture.

As I grew, I sometimes found that a picture was too vague to truly express what I needed. Although my poetry often remains for my eyes only, or for the eyes of strangers, I still wanted the reader to understand the struggles, fears, and even triumphs that I experience. It is my therapy, to release the shadows that encroach on my soul; to free myself from the weight of silence and the pain that comes from holding too much of the past in your chest. And I suppose in some small way, it is my way of reaching out to the world, the world that never noticed me before, and leaving a little piece of me behind.
© Copyright 2009 Winn Storm (stormywinters at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1545753-Reasons-Why-I-Write