*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546232-Ed--Mabel
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1546232
Ed & Mabel are gettin' some exercise!
“I ain’t goin’ in to get it, Mabel. You get it.” Ed told his wife.

“Well, I ain’t goin’ in either, Ed. It’s too damn cold for me!” Edna crossed her arms over her chest hoping he would get the point.

“I don’t s’pose it’ll float towards the shore either, you reckon?” Ed looked over at the neon green Frisbee floating out towards the middle of the lake. His brow furrowed as he watched the brightly colored disc float further out from the shoreline.

“Does it look like it, Ed? Appears to me it’s floating further away.” Edna looked at the Frisbee and wondered what to do.

“You’re quite the observant one, Mabel. You amaze me daily.” Ed chuckled at his wife.

“Shush now, you ol’ coot. What are we gonna do about that Frisbee?” Mabel asked.

“How am I s’posed to know? Don’t know what we were thinkin’.” Ed looked around the empty beach, wishing someone would magically appear to retrieve it.

“What were we thinking? It was your grand idea, Ed. I didn’t wanna do it, but you told me it would be good for us. I don’t think the doc meant for you to make your wife go and toss a Frisbee with you for exercise. Ain’t you ever heard of takin’ a walk?” Edna frowned at him, waiting to hear his excuse.

“Seemed like a good idea at the time. If you woulda caught it, we wouldn’t be tryin’ to figure this out now, would we?” he challenged. “Sides, walkin’s for old folks. We ain’t old yet, woman.”

“Figures you’d find a way to blame me for this.” Mabel said, giving Ed a scornful glance. “I tell you what, smart guy, if you knew how to throw the dang thing, I’da caught it. Can’t catch it if you throw it six feet away from me. I’m not fifty-four anymore you know, can’t move as fast as I used to. That doesn’t mean I’m old either, just means I’m pacin’ myself.”

“Oh hell, Mabel, pacin’ yourself. Right. You coulda caught it if you tried a bit harder. You’re gettin’ lazy in your old age, woman.” Ed chuckled again. “I caught all your bad throws. I didn’t let it go in the lake, did I?”

“Ed Wilson, you ol’ coot, that’s cause I threw the dang thing to you, not six feet away from you. Dang, I can hardly see it anymore.” Mabel squinted as she tried to keep her eyes on the Frisbee floating further and further away.

“Yes dear, you’re a regular pro at Frisbee throwin’.” Ed said. His voice dripped with sarcasm. “Let’s start a new sportin’ event; you can be captain of the ‘Frisbee Throwin’ Grannies,’ how’s that?” Ed reached over and held her hand. “Just too bad you can’t catch ‘em as well as you throw ‘em.”

Smiling, Mabel looked at Ed. “You could learn a thing or two about throwin’ a Frisbee from me, that’s for sure. I’da caught that bugger a couple years back. Guess I’ve lost my edge, huh? We’ll have to figure out something else to do now, won’t we? I don’t see us gettin’ that Frisbee back.”

“Another keen observation, Mabel.” Ed wrapped his arm around her waist. “I think we should give up on the Frisbee, and go home. We’ll have to think of something else to do to get some exercise, huh?” Ed looked at her with his eyes sparkling.

“Why you ol’ coot. Are you thinkin’ what I think you’re thinkin’?” Mabel let out a giggle. “I dunno if I could handle that, it’s been awhile, but we could give it a try.” Mabel grinned at the thought.

“What are we waitin’ for then? Let’s go, woman! No time like the present!” He started walking towards home with her hand in his. They walked without talking, both of them grinning from ear to ear. When they got home, there was no more talk of the bright green Frisbee floating away on the lake.

“Mabel, you sure you wanna do this? I mean, I don’t want you to think you gotta. It’s just an idea.” Ed looked at his wife and knew what her answer would be before she even spoke.

“Ed, you ol’ coot, bring it on. I’ll show you what this ol’ lady can do!” Mabel laughed after she said it. “Chop, chop, Ed, I ain’t getting’ any younger waitin’ on you!”

“Hold your horses, woman. I’m gettin’ ready!” Ed told her.

He walked to the shed, pulled out the croquet set, and began to push the wickets into the lawn. “Let’s go, woman, you ain’t gettin’ any younger you know! Don’t you be thinkin’ I’m gonna be takin’ it easy on you either.”
© Copyright 2009 Uniqueey (clw1959 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1546232-Ed--Mabel