*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547540-Wishcraft
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1547540
Is magic found in a wish on a star or in the heart of a child?
** Image ID #1547534 Unavailable **


Michelle stared out at the dark sky. The billowy clouds played peek-a-boo, hiding and then reappearing as they tumbled under the light of the moon. A cool pine-scented April breeze tickled her curtains causing them to squirm just like she used to do when she played with her father.

Damn! she thought and then quickly looked around, a guilty blush coloring her cheeks. She had heard both her mother and father use that word but she knew it was wrong. With a sigh, she thought There I go again. It seemed everything reminded her of her father. How she missed him – his easy, warm laugh, his calling her "Munchkin" with that special twinkle in his eye. She realized What I miss the most is knowing he's here!

Light washed over her as the door to her room opened. "Michelle?" The gentle voice of Kathryn Walsh came from the dark silhouette framed in the light.

"Yes," Michelle said, turning and wiping at her eyes.

Kathryn caught the bright sparkle of tears before they disappeared behind her child's small hands. "Honey, what is it?" she asked.

"Oh, nothing."

Kathryn walked to where her daughter was sitting by the window. "You miss him, don't you." It was a statement, not a question. Not waiting for a reply, she continued, "I miss him too."

She sat next to Michelle, pulling her close in a sheltering embrace. "He'll be home soon. Only a month to go. As lonely as we are at times, he's doing important work and he needs to know we're here waiting for him."

Michelle's eyes went to the framed photo sitting nearby. There was her father, standing tall in his uniform, holding her in his strong arms. It was her favorite picture and always reassured her.

She snuggled closer into the comfort of her mother. The scent of perfume mixed with a faint trace of dinner was somehow as reassuring as her mother's words.

Gazing out the window, Kathryn raised her arm and pointed. Michelle saw a bright light appear from behind the clouds. "Look at that star," said her Mom. "I'll bet it's one of those special wishing stars like we've read about. Why, it's so bright, I'll bet Dad can see it too. Let's make wish."

As they sat there, Michelle knew in her heart what her wish was and was pretty sure, from the slight squeeze she felt, that she knew what her mother's wish was too.

"Did you wish...?"

Kathryn raised a finger to her daughter's lips, stopping the question in mid-sentence. "Don't tell," she murmured, "or the wish won't come true... just believe in your heart."

A moment passed in silence as they sat watching the sky. "Now, off to bed with you!" Kathryn's voice had changed to that special "Mom" tone and Michelle, reluctantly, got up and started getting ready.

"We have a busy day tomorrow," she heard her mother say, slightly muffled by the pajama top half way over her head. "Don't forget, we're helping at the Recreation Center. We've got eggs to hide for the younger children."

Michelle stopped momentarily. Easter! She had forgotten. She gave Kathryn a foolish lopsided grin then fell into her arms and gave her a last hug and kiss before crawling under the covers.

She woke early the next morning. Glancing out the window, she saw the pastel colors of dawn spreading across the sky. Hues of pink and gold and purple flowed together in a beautiful display. Easter colors! The thought brought a smile to her face. Her eyes, scanning the bright promise of the day, suddenly stopped. There, still visible, was her wishing star! She stared, transfixed, for several minutes until the voice of her mother broke into her reverie.

"Michelle, time to get up sleepy-head."

Jumping out of bed, she sent a final wish toward the bright spot as she hurried to get ready.

They arrived at the Recreation Center in late morning. The square building looked different somehow. The outside was decorated in purple and yellow crepe paper with a big bow on each door. Bright tulips and daffodils framed the walkway, adding to the festive air. They entered and were quickly caught up in the preparations.

Too soon, the interior was filled with swarms of young children. Her job was to hand out the small baskets that each child would use to collect their treasures during the hunt. To one side, a special area had been set up for the guest of honor. The Easter Bunny, "Peter," would be arriving soon and an arbor festooned with spring flowers and garland and colored bamboo umbrellas had been erected so that each child could have his picture taken.

Kathryn found Michelle cleaning up after one of the many accidents. "Hey, sweetie," she said, "we need you for a special job." Michelle looked at her Mother questioningly. "We're getting ready for the pictures. We need your help in making sure the Easter Bunny doesn't get mobbed," she said with a laugh in her voice.

"Do I have to?"

"Come on. You know most of these kids and they'll listen to you."

Soon Michelle was busy, teasing and telling stories, and managing to keep the little ones in something like a line as they waited for their turn. The time went by quickly and before long, the last chocolate-covered kid had made his way to Peter's lap and disappeared after a flash of light.

With a sigh – partly of relief and partly because it had been a long day – Michelle turned to go. "Michelle." Turning, she saw her Mother standing under the arbor. "Come here, honey. Let's get a picture together."

Oh God! Michelle thought, How embarrassing! "Mom!" she started to say in exasperation but the look in her Mother's eyes told her this was another argument she wasn't going to win. Resignedly, she went to stand in front of her Mother and the oversized rabbit.

Standing there, she felt fuzzy hands slide under her arms as she was suddenly lifted into the air. Her startled yelp was cut short as she heard "What, Munchkin... don't you want your picture taken?"

With a cry, she threw her arms around the rabbit, knocking its costume head off and revealing her father's familiar smile and warm laughing eyes. Her wish had come true!

She knew that THIS would become her favorite picture and she could already imagine it in a special frame... one surrounded by stars.

Her smile broadened as the camera flashed.


Notes

Word Count: 1079

An image prompt based story for "Invalid Item for April 2009.

A wordbank based story for "Beyond The Water's Edge - CLOSED [ASR] using the words Tulips, Fool, Umbrella, Eggs, Pastel, Cleaning - bolded as requested *Smile*

Thank you for taking time to read my story. I'm new at short stories so I would appreciate it if you'd take a moment and leave a comment... corrections, criticisms, reactions... all are equally welcome.

Ken *Smile*
© Copyright 2009 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547540-Wishcraft