*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547881-The-Cave
by Rick H
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1547881
A 300 word or less Flash Fiction entry.
      THE CAVE

      Heather and the young girl were halfway up the cliff face. The aunt and niece had decided to climb today in an effort to forget their recent loss for a while of the little one’s mother. She had been killed in a tragic auto accident some months before.

      The little girl was exploring the large ledge they were resting on. Calling to her aunt, Cristina showed Heather a crevice large enough for both of them to crawl into. Entering the widening passage they continued, uncovering deep unknown and hidden passages. They crawled forward on into the mountain on hands and knees for a long time. With their helmet lights on, they rose into a large stalactite filled cavern. At the far end was a hollowed rock tube leading deeper into the mountain. They followed this pathway for sometime and found themselves suddenly surrounded by small fur covered bipeds. These creatures had white squared teeth, large round noses, big oval eyes, and leather like three fingered hands. Cristina thought they looked like living stuffed animals.

        The two humans were now standing in a larger lit cavern. All throughout the rock wall were veins of phosphorus material glowing green, yellow, and white. Suddenly the furry creatures moved forward surrounding Christina. She was not afraid as they began pressing their little bodies towards and then against her. Gently shaking her and calling and chanting her name over and over. She felt a warm feeling of love surround her.

         “Cristina. Cristina. Cristina.” her aunt Heather said gentle shaking the little girl awake. “Wake up Honey; it’s time to get up. We have a big day of climbing and exploring ahead of us”

280 Words
© Copyright 2009 Rick H (earthvillager at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1547881-The-Cave