*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552740-Part-2-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1552740
Akhenaten's reign begins; Amon-hotep and Janakh experience a mutual revelation
Ch. 1,

Year 845, twelfth day of the month of Pagni



The seer sat quietly in his meditation chamber, alone but for Isis softly brushing by his feet. As always, incense filled the room, its delicate aroma relaxing and caressing his senses. From far away, students of the Order began the evening chant prior to their meditation. It would be a special one this night the first full moon after feast of the spring equinox, said to be a time of great influxes of highly charged spiritual energies a true gift of the gods. How the seer longed to join them! Increasingly during the last several years had come times when he had dearly wished to throw off the twin yokes of the High Priesthood and his duties as Pharaoh's senior advisor, and join his students in their exercises. But whenever he did so, Isis had inevitably appeared, hissing and spitting, as if to say, "This is not your Path!" Truly, the cat was bewitched! /Perhaps/ the seer mused /she had been correctly named after all/



He sighed and turned his attention to the papyrus in front of him. Several fitful starts at a letter still held no promise of fulfillment. He crumpled the sheet in anger and tossed it behind him, only to be rewarded for his efforts by more hissing. /You're right, Isis/ he thought. /I should be more careful with such an expensive commodity/

He took another sheet but did not immediately set the stylus to it. He had been about to write to the king of Mitanni to express his concerns over the declining health of the sage Ardama, but had not been able to find the proper words. Truly, his heart had not been in the project, and the more he thought about it, the less inclined he was to write anything. The stylus came close to the papyrus again but did not touch it, as though it had a will of its own.

And suddenly he was a young child again, in the Theban mystery school, trying desperately to make sense of the ancient esoteric texts. Possessed of too quick a mind for average schooling, he had always found the day to day routine boring and confining and not until he had been introduced to a younger student from Heliopolis had Amon- hotep given himself to his studies with zest. Khaemwaset's mere presence had pushed him hard until the day his father had asked him that pivotal question about Hatshepsut. Totally unaware of what he was doing, Amon- hotep sat up in his chair and began to write. Isis had long since fallen contentedly asleep....





TO THE GOD OF MY INNERMOST HEART



"AS I THINK BACK NOW TO THAT FATEFUL DAY, UNCOUNTED YEARS AGO, I REALIZE THAT THOSE EVENTS SET INTO MOTION A SERIES OF EVENTS WHICH HAS LED ME TO THIS MOMENT IN TIME. BUT WERE ALL THOSE PROPHECIES FULFILLED? OR WERE THEY JUST A GLIMPSE OF A POSSIBLE FUTURE FOR MY CHILDHOOD COMPANION AND ME, WHICH WERE SET INTO INADVERTENT MOTION THROUGH THE USE OF OUR OWN WILLS? WERE THEY, THEN, SELF FULFILLING? CERTAINLY, THE PART ABOUT MY 'NOT SEEING ANY OF IT' WAS FULFILLED BY SELF! AND, ADMITTEDLY, MY NAME AND FAME, AS PROPHESIED, ARE WORLD WIDE. MANY VISITORS COME TO THEBES THE GLEAMING JUST TO SEE THE TWIN COLOSSI THAT I HAD ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF NEB-MA'RE AMONHOTPE (AMONHOTEP III) (MAY THE GODS GRANT HIM LIFE, PROSPERITY, AND HEALTH!). AND AT THIS EXALTED AGE, I HAVE INDEED OUTLIVED MANY ENEMIES - THOUGH IN THE EYES OF THE MASTERS THERE ARE TRULY NO ENEMIES. AND KHAEMWASET, TOO, IS A HIGH PRIEST, AND HE DID SUCCEED ME, AS ANOTHER READING SUGGESTED. AND SO, LONG BEFORE THE TRANSITION OF NEB MA'RE AMONHOTPE (L.P.H!), WE BOTH THOUGHT THE PROPHECIES FULFILLED.

"BUT WITH THE BIRTH OF PHARAOH'S SECOND SON, I BEGAN TO HAVE VISIONS OF DISASTERS BEFALLING KEMET, AND THESE CONTINUED WHETHER I WAS IN THE PRESENCE OF THE YOUNG PRINCE OR NOT. I TRIED TO CONTACT THE COSMOS FOR GUIDANCE BUT WAS BLUNTLY TOLD THAT I WAS NOT TO KNOW ANYTHING, THAT ALL WAS PROCEEDING ACCORDING TO A ...'PLAN' OF SOME KIND. EVEN YOU, THE GOD OF MY INNERMOST HEART, REBUKED ME ON MANY OCCASIONS!



"WHY? FOR WHAT PURPOSE? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN ACCOMPLISHED BY MY NOT HAVING KNOWN THE PRINCE'S DESTINY? AND YET, EACH TIME I APPEALED FOR GUIDANCE, I WAS REBUKED AND WHEN THE VISIONS RETURNED, THEY WERE WORSE THAN EVER. WHY???

"AND THEN THE PRINCE BECAME PHARAOH AND 'SYMBOLICALLY' MARRIED HIS MOTHER, OSTENSIBLY BECAUSE ONLY IN THIS MANNER COULD 'CERTAIN OTHER MONARCHS' RECOGNIZE HIS CLAIM TO THE THRONE. 'CERTAIN OTHER MONARCHS!' INDEED! HE MEANT ONLY THE KING OF MITANNI (I WILL NOT DIGNIFY HIM BY WRITING HIS NAME!) SO THAT HE AND TIY COULD PRACTICE THE ACCURSED XVAETVADATHA! THIS THIS WAS THE FOUNDATION OF ALL MY VISIONS THIS HORRIBLE PERVERSION OF MA'AT! HOW COULD A PHARAOH EVEN CONSIDER SUCH AN ACT?

"SO NOW THE VISIONS HAVE STOPPED THERE IS NO LONGER ANY NEED FOR THEM AS THAT WHICH THEY WERE WARNING ME AGAINST HAS COME TO PASS. BUT WHY HAS ALL THIS HAPPENED?

"I KNOW NOW THAT THE ETERNAL INTENDED FROM THE BEGINNING FOR NAPHURIA TO BECOME PHARAOH THIS IS WHY I WAS PREVENTED FROM KNOWING ANYTHING. FOR HAD I KNOWN THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW, I WOULD MOST CERTAINLY HAVE DONE ALL IN MY POWER TO PREVENT HIM FROM TAKING THE THRONE. AND I ASK FORGIVENESS OF THE GOD OF MY HEART, FOR AT THE FAILURE OF ALL ELSE, I WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM.



"BUT NOW I AM CONFUSED. FOUR YEARS INTO THE REIGN OF NEFER KHEPRURE WA'ENRE AMONHOTPE (AMENHOTEP IV) (L.P.H!), HE HAS BEHAVED IN A MOST APPROPRIATE MANNER HAVING HIMSELF PORTRAYED IN THE CLASSICAL DRESS, WITH ALL THE TRADITIONAL APPURTENANCES, AND IN ALL WAYS AND MANNERS HAS BEEN PERFECTLY CORRECT. TRUE, THE FRONTIER IS MORE RESTLESS THAN EVER, AND HE REFUSES TO SEND TROOPS, MUCH LESS MOUNT A PERSONAL CAMPAIGN. AND HE PURSUES THIS POLICY AT THE COST OF INCREASING DISCONTENT WITHIN THE ARMY, BUT HE IS YET YOUNG; ONE DAY, HE WILL LEARN STATECRAFT! YET I, WHO HAVE TAUGHT HIS FATHERS, FIND MYSELF LESS AND LESS IN HIS PRESENCE, AND ESPECIALLY SO WHEN HE SAYS HE WISHES TO MEDITATE IN PRIVATE - WHICH IS OCCURRING WITH INCREASING REGULARITY. I FIND MYSELF CONSUMED WITH FOREBODING, FOR AT THOSE UNWELCOME TIMES I FIND MYSELF ALONE IN THE PALACE. NEFERTITI AND TIY DISAPPEAR, AND NAUGHT IS TO BE FOUND OF EITHER THOTH OR THE MYSTERIOUSLY COMPELLING LADY JANAKH. EVEN KHAEMWASET IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND AT THOSE TIMES, AND MUCH DO I WISH TO DISCUSS WITH MY CHILDHOOD FRIEND NOW THAT THE NEW PHARAOH HAS INVITED HIM TO STAY IN THEBES INDEFINITELY. SMALL WONDER. WERE IT NOT FOR KHAEMWASET, PHARAOH WOULD NOT NOW BE PHARAOH.

"AND SO, IT HAS COME TO THIS: AN AGED MAN, PROPHECIES SEEMINGLY FULFILLED, WITH A YOUNG KING ON THE THRONE ABOUT WHOM THE MASTERS WILL TELL HIM NOTHING OTHER THAN TO LEAVE HIM ALONE. YET HIS DESTINY IS A POWERFUL AND IMPORTANT ONE, ONE WHOSE INFLUENCE WILL BE FELT FAR BEYOND THE BORDERS OF KEMET, AND WILL LAST WELL PAST THE CHILDREN OF THIS GENERATION. I FEEL THIS IN THESE ANCIENT BONES MOST STRONGLY YET I DO NOT KNOW WHY. AND WHERE DO I FIT IN TO ALL THIS, IF INDEED I FIT IN AT ALL? IS IT MY DESTINY TO WATCH, AS A NON PARTICIPANT, WHILE OTHERS DIRECT THE AFFAIRS OF MEN? WHY HAVE I SURVIVED TO THIS SO CALLED EXALTED AGE, IF NOT FOR SOME IMPORTANT PURPOSE? WHAT IS MY DESTINY, O GOD OF MY INNERMOST HEART? WHAT OF ME???"






At that moment Isis awoke and stretched, striking the seer's ankle. And in that moment, Amon hotep's concentration was broken and he dropped the stylus, startled, as a terrifying thought struck him. /Oh, no!/ He groaned. /Has it actually passed me by? Did I have my chances in the past to pursue my true path, and ignore them? How can I face the Lord of the Dead knowing that a misuse of will cheated my soul of its proper life path?/ And Amon hotep began to feel his life's blackest moment.

And, unconsciously, whenever he felt saddest, he began to breathe deeply, holding the inhaled breath for maximum effect. His action brought increased quantities of incense and mystic energies into his system, and after only a few moments, he entered into an altered state of consciousness. He felt his psychic self slip from his body and, perceiving twin points of light, proceed towards them. The lights grew until he saw that they were scenes from the past, and he intuitively knew that they were the answers to his questions. He mentally asked to be shown the first.

The light on the left slowly solidified into form and consciousness. Amon hotep could see every detail, hear every word, smell any aroma. He saw his father, Hapu, squatting over a child in a cave, with Khaemwaset sitting nearby. His old friend had just finished eating an orange the peels were everywhere and Amon-hotep could taste the juice. Then the seer reminded himself of his questions and saw Hapu reach out and touch the child's forehead, saying, " Only the beginning! "



As the import of this message began to impress itself upon Amon-hotep's mind, the image faded away and his consciousness turned itself to the other ball of light. The ball became colored with blazing gold, as radiant as the sun itself, and out of it a naked woman grew. Small breasted, large hipped, short and petite, with great masses of soft, auburn hair and vibrant blue eyes dancing with the joy and fullness of life, and laughter which sent a thrill of ecstasy leaping across his spine...

"Janakh!" The seer cried as he finally recognized the elegant, beautiful face. And in that recognition, he felt, for the first time in his life, truly at home. /How odd,/ he thought. /I had never thought that I was not at home. And yet, knowing that this vision is Janakh, I realize that.../

He hurried from his private chambers, hoping to join his students before their meditative period came to an end. For Amon-hotep knew at that moment the ecstasy that comes only with true enlightenment, and the realization of a long sought answer his destiny was yet in front of him, and he could in no way miss it...





Year 845, second day of the month of Epephi



an excerpt from the letters of Paku, chief scribe to the Mitannian ambassador, to his sister:



My Dearest Jayen,



It is just after the evening meal as I write this, and as our servants are cleaning up and lighting the torches, I find myself with a quiet, relaxing moment. Naturally, at such times, my thoughts turn to you and our family, and to our homeland.



When I last wrote you, we were about to embark from Byblos on the last stage of our journey to Kemet. The sea voyage was uneventful I did not get sick! and after a few days we came to the mouth of the great Nile. In coming this way we avoided the tedium and disgust of having to go through Sa=inu (Pelusium). We entered the swampy marshlands at the lowering of the tide so our vessel had to be carefully towed from shore, and soon docked at a sentry station where we duly registered as foreign dignitaries. We were expected, of course, and messengers were quickly dispatched to herald our arrival. That night we slept on rude wooden benches the place was a soldier's outpost and not meant for comfort, but the Kemetans, as is their custom, made us feel welcome indeed, and so we did not mind the sparse quarters. We shared a hearty meal of fish, onions, bread, and locally brewed beer no banquet, to be sure, but made more enjoyable by the good company and their powerful beverage! We awoke with no left over ills and bartered for several casks of their beer. Its taste, I assure you, is equal to its potency!



Continuing our journey, we traveled by special barge to the old capital, Mennof-Ra (Memphis), which now serves as the major administrative center for the northern portion of the country. Here, we were officially welcomed by a man name Dudu; his title in the pharaoh's court is "Chief Mouthpiece for the Foreign Countries," meaning, most probably, that he speaks to the king on behalf of non Kemetans; certainly, we will have to go through this man or his office when we wish audience with the pharaoh. Dudu was polite and officially correct but there is something about this little man that fills me with revulsion. I do not know what it is but I plan to keep much distance between us. He apologized for the absence of a higher official to welcome such distinguished visitors (his words, not mine), saying that virtually all of the governmental functions were being moved from Thebes the Gleaming to the new capital at Akhet-Aten, and that only he, Dudu, could be spared. Why he alone could be spared I could not imagine, nor was any explanation forthcoming. I suspect he did this himself, with no authority, but for reasons which remain obscure. In the meantime, we were to spend a few days in Mennof-Ra (Memphis) relaxing and adjusting to the climate while he instructed us in the history and customs of the country, as well as the protocol of the court. In this he begged our indulgence as many things were being changed, and rapidly so, and he was not in possession of the latest royal directives. That night, Dudu presided over a lavish banquet held in our honor and officially welcomed us again, this time with many gifts. I must confess my gluttony, Jayen, as it had been some time since I had eaten that well! But upon reflection, I think I prefer the simple fare and honest company of the sentries...

We left Mennof-Ra (Memphis) on the royal barge of the Aten - for such is the name of the god Pharaoh Akhenaten has raised over all others on a delightful morning two days later. On the voyage upriver, Dudu related more of Kemet's history as we slid past the imposing pyramids rising from the western bank of the Nile. I found it difficult to believe that they were erected solely as burial mounds and said so. Dudu merely smiled and continued on to another topic.



It is now the fourth night since we departed from Mennof-Ra (Memphis) and I am told that we are to dock at the new capital tomorrow. I am most eager to see it, Jayen, and to learn why the new king would build in such an isolated area when the ancient and venerable Thebes the Gleaming has served so well for so many generations. When I questioned some of the sailors about this, most turned away and said nothing; a few, after looking furtively about, spat overboard. It will undoubtedly be several days before Ambassador Hermont and myself are presented to the king so until then I must content myself with the knowledge that not all of Pharaoh's subjects love him. It should make for an interesting experience, though one about which I have reservations. Perhaps it is no more that anxiety about my first overseas assignment. But until then, I plan to make judicious use of my time by touring the new city and meeting the inhabitants personally. One of the Ambassador's maxims is that although a king may be the most important single individual in his country, he is as nothing without his people's love and support, despite the assistance of his gods! I must get to know these Kemetans, Jayen! They are so different from one another, and from us!

I will write again after the audience. My love to our family, and to our Brethren in Holy Varuna.





Your devoted brother,



Paku




Year 845, third day of the month of Epephi



The summer sun was especially hot as Amon-hotep and Thoth went down to the docks of Akhet-Aten to greet the new ambassador from Mitanni. As they stood on the sands of the Nile near the as-yet unfinished stone quay, they could hear the faint sounds of the workmen in the city behind them. The work was lagging everywhere as construction gangs labored to fulfill their required tasks amidst the psychological trauma of uprooting themselves from their beloved Thebes. There were temples and courtyards, streets and palaces, stelae and obelisks, all to be designed and constructed to the most precise mathematical precision possible, while under the harshest conditions of the year. Complaints flew everywhere and rumors were rampant, yet the work was being accomplished slowly, patiently, methodically. The only one who had no concerns about the project was Akhenaten himself for, as he constantly reminded everyone, his father, Aten, was behind him in all his endeavors, and whenever a complaint was brought to his ears about another production schedule lagging, he would remind the overseer that Aten had never ordered a production schedule he had simply commanded that the work be done. Adjusting to a new mode of thinking had proven as great a trauma as had the physical move, and had been responsible for further setbacks. Amon-hotep had often voiced his concern over the impression such confusion would create among foreign dignitaries.

Thoth squinted downriver. "I believe I see the barge, Amon-hotep. If I judge correctly, it should arrive within the hour."

The seer chose not to reply. As always, his restless mind wandered over his many concerns, passing from thought to thought, seemingly at random. He was most concerned with the nature of Ambassador Hermont. Formal correspondence, of course, gave no clue, couched as it always was in flowery, diplomatic language; other sources had revealed the ambassador to be from a noble house, closely aligned to the throne through marriage. /Hardly a surprise,/ he thought, /although in Mitanni one must always wonder what kind of marriage./ He took a step back from Thoth and began to breathe deeply and rhythmically. Thoth, sensing what his master was about to do, went down to the quay proper to see to the landing of the barge.

When the seer settled into his meditative state, he visualized his psychic self separate from his physical body, and in less than an instant, was floating over the royal barge of the Aten, observing the ambassador and his chief scribe. He noted at once that Hermont was a tall man, almost as tall as Ineni had been, and just as robust and powerful-looking. Yet there was a gentleness and an air of quiet about this man that Amon hotep immediately liked. He would present his country's messages and gifts in the correct diplomatic manner along with an aura of warmth and honest sincerity which would endear all to him. Upon observing Hermont's aura further, Amon-hotep perceived another fact which resulted in a great rush of respect in the seer's heart the man was untainted by xvaetvadatha, and indeed, heartily disapproved of the practice. Whether this was known to others, Amon-hotep could not at the moment determine. But to hold such views in Mitanni and still be named to such an important office spoke volumes about Hermont. / This appointment could precipitate trouble for both Akhenaten's court and the king of Mitanni. I must keep close to our new ambassador /

Amon hotep turned his psychic attention to the man at the rail beside Hermont. /This must be Paku, Hermont's chief scribe and assistant/ He sensed that Paku was short, squat, with a curiously hooked nose, and possessed a penchant for talking excitedly. He seemed enthused about something but to Amon hotep that something was unimportant. He blotted Paku's voice from his consciousness and penetrated to the deepest levels of the man's being.

He halted his probing immediately. Paku was a nauseatingly enthusiastic practitioner of xvaetvadatha. That this fact must disturb Hermont seemed obvious but the seer could detect no inharmonious vibrations between them. In fact, Hermont rather liked Paku and seemed to dote on him from time to time. / Curious,/ the seer mused. / Perhaps if I probe further... /

But he could find nothing further of importance other than the fact that Paku was highly efficient at his job he loved to write so much that when he was not pursuing his scribal duties he could usually be found drafting letters to his sister. Many of these were never sent; they formed a combination of writing practice and journal keeping. Amon-hotep was impressed. / Behind the mask of sexual perversion lies a most interesting and promising soul. I must guard against making such hasty judgments. /

He felt Thoth's mind touch the outer boundaries of his consciousness and he quickly retrieved his projected psychic self. The barge had already docked and Hermont and Paku were about to come ashore. Servants and sweating sailors rushed about, securing the barge with thick hawsers and unloading the ambassador's belongings. When this was done, the royal gangway was lowered and Ambassador Hermont, official emissary of the king of Mitanni, set foot on the dock at Akhet-Aten. The Blind Seer was there to receive him.



Akhenaten strode purposefully into the main chamber of Ahmose's chapel, surveying the tableau before him. The renovations were going quite well. He had ordered the room to be stripped bare and made over according to his unique vision, and had sketched on papyrus several scenes of nature which he wished his artisans to portray on the walls of the sanctuary - scenes which had vivid meaning for him, and for his father, the Aten. His chest swelled with pride as he recalled his favorite sketch - the one of the snow-capped mountain peaks he had seen from afar while in Mitanni, from the hilltop where he had first met the sage, Ardama. Akhenaten wanted to be certain that his Mitannian connection - so central to his planned revolution - would be remembered for the ages. He nodded to himself. The others would be here shortly, and the important conference would soon begin. Amid the silence of the grotto, the king went to his knees and prayed.



"My lord Ambassador," Thoth said, "allow me to present to you Amon-hotep, son of Hapu, revered advisor to Pharaoh."

Hermont stepped onto the shore and knelt in the damp sand. "My lord," he began. "Your name and reputation are known the world over. I am humbled in your presence." And Ambassador Hermont put his forehead to the seer's feet.

Amon-hotep bent down and placed his hand under Hermont’s elbow. “Ambassador, you honor me with your words, but perhaps you have not heard that I greatly disapprove of anyone bowing before me. Let me help you up.” Grunting slightly, the seer assisted the Mitannian to his feet.

Hermont smiled. “Part of your reputation is the knowledge of your humility, my lord.” He reached out to steady the seer who had slumped against his staff. “I am gratified to discover we can converse so easily.”

“I always endeavor to keep any conversation as simple as possible, Hermont. One does not risk misinterpretation that way. Come, let me show you to your new home. The overseer has promised me that your residence will be completed by the end of the week.”

Hermont inclined his head slightly, not wishing to offend the seer any further. With Thoth in the lead, they began the long walk up the slope to the new capital. Behind them, the sailors had finished unloading the belongings of Hermont’s retinue, and had loaded them onto carts and pack animals. An excited Paku, who had lingered to help with the unloading, broke away from the flurry of activity on the dock, and rushed after them.

“Have you undertaken many voyages on the Great River, Amon-hotep?” Hermont asked, as they passed a newly-planted grove of date palms. “I must confess that I am relieved to walk on land once again.”

The seer did not answer at once, recalling his many journeys up and down the Nile. “Yes, Hermont, I have indeed. Too many, perhaps. But one must befriend the Great River, and not fight it.”

“Fight it?”

“Yes, Hermont. You stated just now that you were happy to be back on solid ground, thus indicating that your voyage had caused you some discomfort.”

The ambassador smiled. “Not discomfort with the voyage, my friend. I only meant that I was happy to return to that which is familiar to me. I have not had to journey by water very often.”

Thoth turned. “In Kemet, my lord Ambassador, we see the Great River as an analogy of life itself. Ever-changing, yet its essence always remaining the same.”

A reverie touched the seer’s mind. Two young boys, playing by the edge of the Great River of Kemet – sometimes laughing, sometimes meditating, sometimes skipping stones – in a dream-like state that each believed would - “Would you not agree, my lord?”

The seer stopped, suddenly aware that Hermont had asked him a question. Rhetorical, by the sense of it lingering in his consciousness. They had come to the main boulevard of Akhet-Aten, a broad avenue running roughly north-south along the center-line of the city. The docks were in the northern district; construction in the area had barely begun, as it had been sectioned out for the merchant class. Everywhere, surveyors could be seen marking out areas of land for planned buildings. He looked around, his sense of direction temporarily disrupted. “Would you not agree?” Hermont repeated.

Amon-hotep nodded. “I do indeed, my lord Ambassador. This is a most inhospitable place in which to erect a city, much less the capital of one’s country!”

“Then why did he do it, lord?” came a small voice behind them. “Hasn’t Thebes served well in that manner for many, many years?”

Hermont smiled, as might an indulgent father. “Forgive me, lord Amon-hotep. This is Paku, my chief scribe. Take no offense at his remarks.”

Amon-hotep snorted. “I take none, Hermont.” He looked at Paku, a look at once withering and disconsolate. “Thebes has indeed been that, Paku. She has been called ‘The Gleaming’ by our people, and by others, ‘The World-Renowned’. Why indeed would a king turn his back on such a place?” He turned to Hermont, and in so doing turned his back to the young scribe, emphasizing his point. Reading the seer’s face, Hermont could clearly see that his new friend was a man torn between his duty to his monarch, and his love for a city he had been ordered to abandon. “A break with the past,” he murmured, “is always challenging. The young find the concept difficult to comprehend.”

“Then perhaps your ‘young pup’ needs an education in recent events, Ambassador! Let us walk for awhile, and I shall introduce you to this new city. Then perhaps you will come to understand why things are as they are – in upheaval.” With renewed vigor, Amon-hotep led them along the Great Royal Road of Akhet-Aten – out of the merchant quarter, and south towards the center of the city.

Thoth, however, held back, watching the rest of the party forge ahead. He stood perfectly still, in a standing meditation, his mind stretching ahead of him. /You know that I must leave you now/ he thought.

/I know, Thoth/ the seer’s mind replied. /Listen carefully to what will be said, but even more to what is not/

Thoth nodded, though it was unnecessary, and turned and walked away from the city towards the eastern hills. At length, he came to the base of the reddish sandstone cliffs and, shading his eyes, he searched for the singular outcropping of rock Khaemwaset had described. It was not difficult to find, but its purpose was known only to those who knew to look for the hieroglyphs discretely carved along its side. The glyphs themselves were meaningless – only the fact that they had been carved on this particular outcropping gave them any meaning. He smiled. Behind the rock was a concealed doorway that only an initiate of the Mysteries could enter. He inhaled deeply, holding the breath for a moment, then as he exhaled, he chanted the name of Aten as he had been instructed. He repeated the chant three times, then extended his arm. A casual passerby would have seen Thoth reach into solid rock, but Thoth understood that he had counteracted a mystic spell of concealment. He strode forward into the polished stone corridor which led downward…



“He comes, my lord.” Khaemwaset murmured.

Akhenaten came to the side of the GrandMaster, who stood near the doorway, gazing down the corridor. “It is well, my friend. I do not worry if he is a spy for Amon-hotep. What have we to hide? He is welcome here, as are all who wish to learn of my father, Aten.”

“And those who wish to learn of your father’s plans for Kemet?” Janakh spoke from her seat at a small table where she and Paren-nefer flanked Akhenaten’s mother, Tiy. “I have wondered, my lord, as have so many – why was this place chosen for your new capital?”

Akhenaten turned and smiled. He held a special fondness for the Lady of Mitanni, for having convinced his mother that xvaetvadatha was indeed the way for Kemet. Yet she seemed so cool to him, so distant, as though she did not entirely believe in the role she played. No matter – Aten would see to it that all was made plain at the proper time. “My dear lady, the site of the capital is integral to the Divine Plan my father has made for this country. For centuries, the priesthood of Amon has controlled the minds of the people, leading them to believe that land of Kemet was laid out according to the maxim of the Wise Ones: ‘As it is above, so is it below.’ But in the course of our history, the borders of Kemet have changed constantly, when they should have remained according to what was established at the beginning, in the time of Zep-Tepi. I intend to return to the ancient ways of that long-distant time, when Pharaoh walked with the Great Ones, and was the sole and direct link between them and the people, a position usurped by the priests of Amon and their oracle.”

“Pharaoh, my lord, is indeed wise! Truly, he is the destined one of the gods!” Thoth stooped slightly to enter the chamber, then went to his knees and pressed his forehead to the ground in front of his king. He had not intended to make such a melodramatic entrance, but Akhenaten’s words had taken hold of his heart in a manner he could scarcely have conceived.

Akhenaten smiled and touched Thoth’s shoulder, as if in benediction. “My friend, all are welcome in the dwelling-place of my father, the Aten.”

Thoth rose, his arms stretched before him, his palms up, but with his face still averted. “Hail to thee, lord Pharaoh, King of the Two Lands, living in truth forever and ever! Hail, Nefer-khepru-Re wa'enre Amonhotpe!”

“Stop!” Akhenaten’s face hardened as he glared down at Thoth. “I have been renamed by my father, Aten, and shall henceforth be known as Nefer-khepru-Re wa'enre Akhenaten: ‘The Living Essence of the Aten’! All shall address me as such!”

Thoth looked up, then, and his eyes met those of the king. He was not certain what he saw there, but in an instant, his earlier feelings vanished. For his mystic sight, as taught to him by the Seer, had enabled him to peer into the depths of the pharaoh’s soul, and he became himself again. “Hail, lord Akhenaten, you who are the embodiment of the Aten, king living in truth forever and ever!” Though outwardly pleased, Akhenaten inwardly knew that his attempt to influence Thoth’s mind had failed. “Come, friend, and sit with us. I am to reveal today my father’s plans for the revitalization of all Kemet!” Akhenaten took Thoth’s arm and guided him to the table in the center of the room. There, in addition to Janakh, Tiy and Paren-nefer, sat Akhenaten’s queen, Nefertiti, her expression a blank, frozen mask. As they came near, Thoth reached out with his mind. The queen of Kemet was renowned by all for her beauty, grace and charm at all the official functions of the court, yet Thoth discerned that she carried a heaviness upon her heart that she would not share with anyone. / What could this be / he wondered as the king gestured to a pair of empty seats next to Janakh. / What mystery lies buried beneath her countenance / For a brief moment, he thought he perceived a brilliant wave of scarlet energy erupting from Nefertiti’s brow. Thoth struggled to hold his emotions in check. For it was a wave of resentment and disgust that Nefertiti had emanated across the table – directly at the dowager queen, Tiy! Thoth breathed a silent prayer as he sat down. There was far more going on in Ahmose’s chapel room than a simple “conference”. But as he sat, he missed Tiy’s response, in the form of a thin silver beam emanated from her own forehead, meeting Nefertiti’s anger above the center of the table, and dissolving it completely. No one else seemed to have noticed.

Khaemwaset came and took the chair next to Thoth, as the pharaoh strode around the table. “My friends,” Akhenaten began, “you are all here today for a special purpose. My father Aten has chosen each of you, either in recognition of special service performed on my behalf, or to perform a task in the future.” He stood behind Paren-nefer. “To Paren-nefer, who guided me to the land of Mitanni, I give thanks, and henceforth call him Favorite at the King’s Right Hand. He shall be privileged in his comings and goings in my house and at my palace, and none shall bar his way.” Paren-nefer closed his eyes and bowed. Pharaoh moved on to Khaemwaset and placed his hands on the GrandMaster’s shoulders. “Khaemwaset, beloved friend, with you I share the works of the Brotherhood. My father was truly wise in instructing me to choose you as the GrandMaster - you who, at Heliopolis, completed my education in the ways of the Elder God.”

“I am honored, lord,” Khaemwaset whispered.

“As you should be,” the king murmured. Akhenaten’s gaze fell on Tiy, then upon Nefertiti. “My mother,” he said, then added, “my queen.” Though he looked at Nefertiti as he said “queen”, Thoth suddenly became aware of a deeply disquieting feeling, as though Akhenaten had not meant Nefertiti at all. Was this the underlying meaning of Nefertiti’s mystic bolt launched at her mother-in-law? Next to him, Janakh’s stomach roiled, for she not only knew exactly what the king had meant, she had picked up what Thoth had sensed, and knew that his suspicions would soon be reported to the seer himself. She began to perceive what was about to unfold for Kemet, what would happen once Akhenaten revealed his incestuous relationship with his mother, a relationship she had been instrumental in creating. Whatever Akhenaten was about to reveal as his “father’s” plan for revitalizing Kemet, it would almost certainly come to disaster. The people of Kemet, she feared, would never accept their king having sexual relations with his own mother. She glanced at Thoth as unobtrusively as possible, and felt a stab of energy strike her not unlike the one she had received from the seer upon their first meeting. She and Thoth had simultaneously come to the same terrifying conclusion. What if Tiy became pregnant by her own son? What, then, would the people of Kemet do? Janakh slipped her hands beneath the table as she realized they had begun to shake. She was the cause of this impending doom for the country, but she had been mysteriously compelled to pursue the matter of xvaetvadatha with Tiy, almost devoid of her own volition! What was she to do?



Less than half a mile distant, Hermont and the seer paused at a well to refresh themselves. The water was surprisingly sweet, and both drank deep. Amon-hotep was about to address Hermont, to continue their conversation about how the city might function as the new capital, when he stiffened and dropped his cup. It shattered at his feet. “My friend!” Hermont cried. “What is amiss?”

For a moment, the seer’s did not speak. Part of his mind was in communion with Thoth at the very moment he and Janakh had shared their thoughts. He closed his eyes and struggled to terminate the communication – if left unchecked, he knew, it would overwhelm him. He sighed. “I am sorry, Ambassador.” He tried a weak smile. “At my age, the mind occasionally blanks out. What were you saying?”

Hermont said nothing, his countenance that of a man who knew Amon-hotep had lied to him. He reached for another cup and filled it, offering it to the seer. “A libation, my friend, to return your mind to you.” The seer accepted the cup and brought it to his lips. Its contents, however, were no longer sweet…



“And for the Lady Janakh, and my friend, Thoth, I have a favor to ask of both of you.” Akhenaten stood at the head of the table now, opposite his GrandMaster, Khaemwaset. Tiy sat to his right, Nefertiti to his left. “I wish each of you to disseminate word of the plan I am to reveal to you today – Thoth, to the Theban Brotherhood, and Janakh, to the court of Mitanni.”

Janakh started. This was most unexpected! “My lord, then what of Ambassador Hermont? Would he not be better suited for the task?”

“No, he would not. Already, he has the ear of Amon-hotep, the seer, and in any case, he does not approve of some of the most important religious practices of his home country – practices which I have come to embrace,“ Akhenaten stressed the word, “in honor of the Elder God, and which I plan to slowly introduce to the people of Kemet.” He shot a quick glance at Thoth. “The Theban Brotherhood is to be terminated. Not immediately, but soon. I realize this will cause much strife, perhaps even bloodshed. I ask you, in the name of your king, to smooth the way, to make the priests of Amon understand that what I will do is for the good of all Kemet. Aten has decreed this. It shall be done.”

Thoth sat immobile, his mind awhirl. He knew that Akhenaten was counting on him to report to the seer what was to transpire, but he could not fathom why. Was he attempting to woo Amon-hotep – even Ay – to his side? It seemed an impossible task. “What, then, is the plan of your father?”

Akhenaten smiled and leaned forward, his palms pressed on the polished surface of the cedarwood table. “Simply this, friend Thoth. Through the removal of the priesthood of Amon, its oracle shall also be removed – the oracle which has dictated the succession of kingship for Kemet. From now on, only my father, Aten, shall decree who shall rule over this country! And following that, I shall redraw the borders of this land so that it shall, in truth, be a reflection of the kingdom of the heavens in which my father dwells, as it was decreed in the time of Zep-Tepi!”

Thoth sat silently, acutely aware of the shock wave thundering through him. The Kemet he had known from birth was about to be laid waste by an egocentric madman…



“Ambassador, I must ask you something.”

“Of course, lord Amon-hotep. What is it?”

“I understand that your position in the hierarchy of Mitanni was secured by marriage, correct?”

The ambassador nodded, a sad look on his face. “Yes, that is true. My late wife was a cousin of the king, and brought me to his attention.”

“I am sorry, my friend, I did not know of your wife’s passing. My sincere condolences.”

“Thank you, Amon-hotep. She was very dear to me, as you may well imagine.” He paused. “Through her influence, I was considered for important positions within our government, leading to my appointment as ambassador to Kemet. Why do you ask?”

“Because I am curious as to how you could have gained such positions, yet not partake – much less approve – of the practice of xvaetvadatha.”

Hermont’s sad expression slowly dissolved into a smile. “With respect, my friend, you are under something of a misconception. My personal feelings regarding the practice of xvaetvadatha have naught to do with my advancement in society. All in Mitanni are free to accept or reject this principle of our religion as they see fit. None are chastised for personal choice. However, it is required that one studies at least the philosophy of the practice. My wife did not partake of it either, but neither of us would think of attempting to discourage another’s participation in it.”

Amon-hotep was impressed, and more so because he knew Hermont spoke true. “I am pleased to learn this, Hermont. When I first beheld you disembarking today, I sensed you might be a fit candidate for initiation into our secret mystery school here in Kemet.”

“I am honored, my friend. Indeed, as I have traversed the mysteries offered in Mitanni, I was hoping to be sponsored into the greater ones of your country. Thank you!”

The seer paused. “And what do you know of the Lady Janakh, Hermont? Is she a practitioner of xvaetvadatha?”

“I believe she is, lord. In fact, she is a major priestess in the High Temple, and is widely regarded by our people as the future successor to our greatest sage, Ardama. I have heard also that she has come to Kemet at the request of your king’s mother, Tiy. I hope to greet her while I am here.”

Amon-hotep, however, had heard nothing that Hermont had said after his comment on Janakh’s participation in xvaetvadatha, for his mind had returned to the moment when they had been introduced. At that time, he had detected NO sense of xvaetvadatha associated with Janakh at all! He stopped, stupefied. There could be only one explanation. Their meeting had caused her to renounce the practice of xvaetvadatha, and that could only have been possible because she had seen then what he had only recently seen in his meditation vision – she was the one soul with whom he would be completely at home, and she with him. / Mysteriously compelling, indeed / he thought. Amon-hotep stared to the east of the city and leaned slightly on his staff. “My friend, I believe your hope to meet the Lady Janakh is about to manifest.”



Thoth’s face was ashen and his mood somber as he trudged up the corridor and out into the light of day. He had not only been stunned by the events in the underground chamber, but been shaken even more by Akhenaten’s summary dismissal of both himself and Janakh. He felt a mighty cloud of doom falling upon his weary shoulders. Next to him, Janakh offered what sympathy she could, but her own heart was rent with guilt and misgivings. Yet she felt more sorrow for Thoth than for herself. She knew what Akhenaten’s “plan” would do to his heart, both what had been said, and what they had perceived. And there seemed nothing either one of them could do about it.

Ahead of them, the new city appeared as they walked on, and as they neared the outer boundaries of the Merchant’s Quarter, they saw a youthful figure trotting out to greet them. It was Paku. “Master Thoth?” he called. “Lady Janakh? The lord Amon-hotep told me to meet you and take you to him!”

In spite of his sorrow, Thoth smiled and waved. In a few minutes, they had reached the street corner where Paku waited, and the trio moved into the city proper. As they walked along, Paku cast an inquisitive glance at his companions. “Lord Amon-hotep told me you had gone to some kind of secret meeting, Lord Thoth. What was it about? It must have been very important, for you to have left us so quickly!”

“Ah, Paku! It was a gathering of students from our mystery temple,” Thoth replied, “and they wished to share their latest studies with me.” Next to him, Janakh merely smiled and said nothing.

“Studies?” Paku’s eyes lit up. “I have always wondered about what is studied in the temples here!”

Thoth smiled at the young man’s enthusiasm. Paku seemed to throw himself fully into whatever occupied his attention at any given moment. “Then perhaps, Paku, you will be able to learn about our mysteries during your stay in Kemet. I hope it will all go well for you.”

At that moment, they turned a corner and came to the well where the Seer and Hermont waited. Hermont’s face lit up with delight as they came into view. “Is this the beautiful Lady Janakh of Mitanni who comes?”

She laughed at his words. “You must be Ambassador Hermont. I am so happy to meet you at last!” They embraced as two old friends would, though they had never previously met. “It is a joy to meet my countrymen so far from home, though the people of Kemet have welcomed me as one of their own! Their hospitality, Hermont, is everything we had been told, and more!”

Hermont indicated the Seer, who had just risen to his feet. “My Lady Janakh speaks truly. Indeed, the lord Amon-hotep has become already like a brother to me.”

Amon-hotep coughed. “Ambassador, your new ‘brother’ would be remiss in his duties if he did not see you to your new residence, and ensure your comfort there.” Then, noting the expression on Thoth’s face, he quickly added. “But as I am getting on in my years, I must rest more and more. Thoth, would you escort the Ambassador and his scribe to their residence? Their belongings should already be there for them.”

“Of course, Amon-hotep. Ambassador, Paku, would you follow me, please? The residences are not far, and I am sure you would wish to refresh yourselves.”

Hermont nodded. “Thank you, we would indeed.” He turned and took the seer’s right hand in his own. “Thank you for everything, my friend. Might we dine together this evening?”

The seer nodded. “I would enjoy that very much, Ambassador. I shall send word to you later today.”

But as Thoth, Hermont and Paku moved off, the Seer felt Thoth’s unhappiness most strongly. / Not now, Thoth / he thought. / There will be time for discussion later, though I know much of what has transpired already. Be at peace /

He turned to Janakh, who had picked up a small stone and was hefting it, feeling its weight in her hand. “And what do you have there, my Lady?”

For a moment, Janakh did not answer, as she was absorbed in the stone she held in the palm of her right hand. Flat and smooth on one side, rounded and pock-marked on the other, it glittered with inlaid crystal fragments. / What is it about this stone / she thought. / Odd, but it feels like I am being drawn to Amon-hotep through it... / She looked up. “This stone, Amon-hotep. It is so beautiful…”

He smiled broadly. “A skipping stone, my lady. You have found a skipping stone!”

“A skipping stone? I don’t understand. What is a skipping stone?”

“Come, let us go down to the river, and I will show you.”

Once on the shore, Amon-hotep took the stone from her, flipped it a few times to ascertain its weight, then flung it into river with a boyish grin. It skipped along the surface of the Nile half a dozen times before sinking into the depths. “I used to do this a lot when I was a child, Janakh. So long ago...”

In a flash, Janakh perceived what she had to do. From the moment she had met Amon-hotep, a powerful realization had arisen within her, dwarfing everything in her consciousness, that this was the man, the one man, with whom she could share everything. And more, that she was meant to, for they had chosen to do so before incarnating. She knew this, without doubt, without hesitation. And yet, as yet, Amon-hotep did not, and she understood that it had been left to her to unlock his memory so that he might accomplish his life's work. What that work was Janakh had no idea but she knew that he would never fulfill his purpose if he remained asleep. / Why? / she wondered. / Why in this manner? / She could not fathom the reason but she knew that it had not been by chance that she and the seer had been left alone. Without conscious hesitation, she knew that it was time. "Tell me, Amon-hotep, what do you love best about your country?"

The seer regarded her thoughtfully for a moment, fully aware that her question masked a deeper purpose, but feeling no qualms about answering. "I suppose, dear lady, that my answer must be the Great River."



"The Nile? How curious! I would have thought that you would have answered, ' the pyramids ', or ' the mystery wisdom '. But you say the Nile. How so?" Unconsciously, her hands clasped in the crook of his arm, and she leaned gently against him.

"These three things intertwine in my answer, Janakh," he replied, oblivious to his use of her proper name. "In the mystery schools we teach that the pyramids were our original temples, though in many cases their actual purpose has been forgotten. But at Giza, the truth has been maintained. On one level, the Nile is the lifeblood of Kemet, depositing rich soil on its banks at flood-time which is partitioned for farmland when the river recedes. This much is popularly known and understood. However, because of that, our early teachers derived a corresponding meaning. The Nile is also the spinal column of Kemet, and carries the same meaning and purpose to our country as the spinal column does to the body of man." Amon-hotep freed his engaged arm to run his fingers up Janakh's spine for emphasis, failing completely to sense the sudden shock he induced in the High Priestess's system. By virtue of his intense concentration on his narrative, a massive charge had built up in the seer's hands, and this energy had been released into Janakh, sending fiery sensations exploding through all parts of her body. With the discipline born of her temple duties, Janakh managed to maintain her composure against the forces which inadvertently threatened to tear her apart. She stared straight ahead, forcing herself to concentrate on the task at hand.



The seer, still oblivious, continued. "The Nile carries life to all Kemet as the spine carries life to the body, in both the physical and non-physical levels. It is the same. Further, that which causes us to recognize and categorize our feelings and sensations is not limited to the spinal column but branches out to all reaches of the body. Similarly, in Kemet, all temple complexes are built with causeways running to the river. The life-giving energy flows up these causeways, is energized in the temple or pyramid, and is then distributed to the people at religious ceremonies, who then disperse it to the farthest corners of the land. In this way, Kemet, too, is fertilized, also on all levels." Amon-hotep eased himself into the wet sand, patting the ground next to him, indicating that she should sit as well. "This is why I was drawn at a young age to meditate upon the flow of the Great River - the Nile knows all things, in her ebb and flow, and with patience, all is revealed." He fell silent and Janakh found herself with nothing to say. The quiet was immensely peaceful, with naught but the soft, lazy slap of the waves upon the mud at their feet and an occasional birdcry. They were not far from the site of a proposed building that the king had designated The Northern Palace. Janakh had experienced no such peace as this in her native Mitanni. Smaller rivers abounded in the hill country there, crashing and gurgling in their headlong rush to the open sea, but nothing to compare with the smooth, steady-flowing peace of the Eternal River of Kemet. All by itself, it seemed to Janakh, the river could induce a deep, meditative state. Her hands regained the crook of the seer's arm and her head fell gently to his shoulder.

Time slowed, came to a stop, and became non-existent. The peace of the river remained the same, with only small things to mar the pattern, but never anything to break the overall continuity. Not even the seeming revolution by a prince of Kemet raised in a foreign country could disturb the pattern, let alone break it, and in that continuity, Janakh saw - felt - that all things had their proper place and moment, and all men their roles to play...

...roles to play. Time snapped back into existence. "Give me your palm, Amon-hotep. No, not the right, the left."

He had not complied in any way; indeed, the seer was only now returning to a normal consciousness. Janakh rushed on. "I need to read the lines in your palm. I need to see what your hands can tell me about your..." And as Janakh smoothed his flesh and began to trace his lines in a manner she did not consciously understand, the world of Kemet slowly dissolved on their mental screens and was replaced by a myriad blur of onrushing visions...



...other places, other times, faraway lands where they knew themselves to be themselves, yet possessed of other bodies, other forms - memories of when they had lived as other persons, in other places, in other times... each on a separate journey, yet on the same, linked through time and space, each always aware of the other's presence - sometimes a powerful aphrodisiac, sometimes a wisp on the wind - yet always there, and always striving upwards towards the Light. The bottom of reality seemed to fall away before them, the nothingness of the Eternal Void rushing fast to overtake them, and yet they went forward no matter what, for it was the Path they had chosen - even if one or the other, in any given lifetime, had for some reason refused the opportunity to come together; invariably, the other had continued forward, leaving to another lifetime the necessary bonding. Such lives invariably held both back from joint progress, for progress was always advanced exponentially in the lifetimes shared....

In the midst of the swirling colors a scene coalesced - they had come ashore from the strange ocean-going craft onto a sandy shore strewn with sharp rocks. A fierce warrior said to possess the far-reaching vision of the shakti-bird, he led - and protected with his life - the frail blind girl worshiped for her ability to follow the magnetic lines of force in the earth's crust. They had come to this land to find a confluence of these energies and to erect a temple city on the spot. As they trudged up the beach away from the sea, a storm arose...



...and replaced the vision with one from later in the same lifetime. The same man, now greatly aged, was being laid to rest in a shallow cave, a gleaming ankh strung around his neck; he had died of a broken heart, the blind girl having predeceased him by many years. He had been revered himself for his city, founded around four major energy sites which lifted its worshipers into spiritual ecstasy during their meditations. Pilgrims had come from all over the known world to traffic in the city's streets, politic in her forums, and to worship in her temples. And all this, they were told, over one hundred thousand years previously, halfway around the globe in a place that would one day be called Arizona...

...there was the great Avatar, a powerful spiritual reformer, it was said, though this one claimed only to be the fulfillment of Universal Law; of course, he was brutally killed for his efforts, yet his mission was salvaged by the correct use, at the proper time and place, by a common, ordinary lance, which serendipitously also salvaged the sight of its possessor. A future life? They were not sure...

...it was time for the capstone; the Sphinx watched warily (did not the gods create it with eyes in the back of its ugly head as well?) - but the orders had been changed - this one would have no capstone, for its purpose would not be completed for over 12,000 years; the Sphinx smiled its approval...



...the comet flashed through the heavens at the height of the day; the king's horse reared and threw him to the ground; the Lance he had held since his accession - the sign of the power his people had wrested from the former inhabitants of the land (the flaxen-haired ones, they were called, said to possess mighty strength through their long yellow locks, like a certain warrior from an earlier age [though none the visions had spoken of]) - the symbol of authority that the king had held even through the dark days when the scheming religious leader from the poisonous land to the south had tricked him into accepting yet another crown of earthly power, and on the holiest day of the year! - was ripped from his hand and flung savagely to the earth; a violent thunderstorm arose and the people cried out - for Deity had decreed, apparently, that the reign of the good king had come to an end, and darkness covered the world for a thousand years...

...the Ritual was fresh and new to them, yet hoary with age; terribly familiar somehow, but like a renewable resource, they came again and again to drink of its waters of Spiritual Refreshment which they were told would quench their thirst for evolvement and reintegrate them...

...hadn't they seen this lifetime already? No, not this part of it - the soldier on a mission of great evangelical significance fell in love with a minor priestess at an oracular temple, and begged her to come with him. But she shared neither his vision nor his beliefs, though she almost shared his bed, for she was more in love with him than he ever knew (wasn't it always the case?). But temple discipline had stopped her that night in his tent, and the next day as well, when he had come that final time to beg her to come with him anyway. Why had she been so cold to him? She had broken his heart, they both knew, but she was more open then than he (wasn't it always the case? Damn! ) and understood why it could not be. Choices, choices, choices...



...they were seated in a great metal chamber suspended thousands of cubits above the ground; only a split-second later did they realize that the chamber was hurtling though the domain of the sky-gods at a tremendous speed. That they were headed for an important destination was obvious - no, they had just left Arizona...

...it was the best of sex, it was the worst of relationships; it was one of those things where one had slipped and become trapped. A lifetime lost for one - bereavement for the other...

...the war lasted for thirty years, in two distinct phases; though most historians thought of them as separate, only one, a powerful political figure - and a pivotal one in the second phase, who was secretly the most prominent wizard in his country (there were reasons why he'd gotten the political job!) - wrote of them as one war. Truth was, it was a repeat, on a different level, of one that had occurred a thousand years before - same place, same characters - and opposite the political historian, the other side was led by another powerful wizard said to be so persuasive in his oratory that he could sell glasses to a blind man; but why was he so passionate about that damned bloody Lance?...



...and it all came together in one powerful lifetime, at the end and crux of an Age, when they looked into one another's eyes and the Universe seemed to explode, revolve, implode, dissolve, stretch, disappear, fragment, reappear and twist and twist and turn upon itself while the eternal lovers screamed and cried out for equilibrium, then righted themselves and became lost in the Recognition...

...and Amon-hotep and Janakh looked up at one another at the identical moment and Recognized each other as the vital information on their incarnational lineage - past, present and yet-to-come - was processed and stored in their subconscious minds for future use. They clutched madly at each other, not believing their incredible good fortune, wailing and crying in a virtual ecstasy of communion, then their lips found each other's and they kissed - hungrily, deeply, powerfully - sharing a joy that was at once deeply sexual and ecstatically spiritual. Their bodies shook as each chakra - physical and non-physical alike - experienced simultaneous and thunderous orgasm. They released and gazed longingly into one another's eyes, each finally understanding that the purpose of their coming together was to trigger memories - powerful and important memories - so that each might gain a special strength, not only from each other but through the complementary interaction with each other - for the coming spiritual combat...



...and this thought, too, was processed and stored, momentarily forgotten in the joy and the ecstasy, for it was said in those days that though the gods were sometimes fickle and hard to understand, they were not cruel, and actually were pleased when humans expressed joy in life, and in each other. Amon-hotep and Janakh kissed once again, more softly this time, their cheeks wet with their tears. For one lifetime, at least, they had found one another, to be bonded and re-bonded, never to be sundered again......



...and Ineni smiled and turned in the direction of the Throne of the Celestial Architect . Though he could not see through the blinding white light that was always present, he got the distinct impression that the Master Craftsman had nodded his approval...

© Copyright 2009 David-Michael Christopher (scorpecrit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1552740-Part-2-Chapter-1