*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553796-Premonition
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1553796
A flash fiction (<500 words) story you can't miss!
         Everything happened so fast. Jerry was sitting in the boardroom listening to a presentation when he saw the gunman. At first he thought it was a joke. There was no way someone dressed like that could get past security. And the metal detectors would have stopped him bringing in the gun.
         But apparently it was really happening. The gunman opened the door and rushed in.
         "Everybody get down," yelled Jerry. "He's got a gun!"
         Jerry's fellow advertising specialists ducked under the enormous oak table.
         I'm no hero, thought Jerry.
         He couldn't believe what he was about to do. In a swift movement he kicked a chair on the opposite side of the table. When the chair sailed across the room the gunman turned to look at it.
         Jerry lunged from the table and hit the gunman in the knees. He collapsed to the floor but brought the gun slamming down onto Jerry's head.
         Everything went black.

Seth watched as Jerry and the gunman fell to the floor. He knew that Jerry was dead.
         What was this guy thinking? wondered Seth. Who is he after?
         The corner of his eye caught a glimpse of Greg sneaking towards the desk behind the gunman. Seth saw Adam fly from underneath the table and land on top of the gunman.
         The sound of the .45 caliber handgun in the boardroom was deafening. The blood spattered across the wall and the carpet.
         Two dead.
         Greg caught his eye at that moment and signaled for Seth to rush the gunman. Seth dashed from under the table toward the gunman. The gunman got to his feet when Seth was about five feet away.
         "Stop," said Seth. "What are you doing?"
         The gunman didn't stop. He leveled his pistol at Seth and fired.

Greg knew this was the last chance. Three of his friends were dead and there were only four more people in the room.
         Greg snuck up behind the gunman and smashed a paperweight over his head. The gunman started to spin, but Greg put him in a headlock.
         He squeezed.
         And squeezed some more.
         Finally the gunman went limp.
         Greg started. He had dozed off. He looked around the boardroom and his colleagues at the table.
         "I'm sorry," he said. "It was a long night."
         The others at the table laughed. He noticed Jerry staring out the glass by the door.
         Then he saw the gunman.
© Copyright 2009 Jeremy Wallace (jeremylwallace at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1553796-Premonition