*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1554489-MISSION-EARTH---2
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1554489
My April Angel Buddy entry: bas' alien, 4th of July in America
On this mission I was to attempt, once again to discern if the planet Earth’s atmosphere has a composition that would allow us to inhabit the planet. After aborting my last attempt and finding that my camouflage shield had no effect on the cyndys, I was reassigned to the mission and assured that these Cyndys have no technology advanced enough to detect my ship behind its camouflage.

Again I approached the planet with caution. I chose a flat rock far away from the mass I researched on Mission One. Although I had perilously little information about the planet or its inhabitants, and I was reassured that I could not be detected, I thought twice about returning to the same area again.

I lowered my craft to a point where I could see the land mass below. It was dotted everywhere with the liquid previously found to be made up of the chemical compound H2O. I found a clearing close to one of these liquid pits where many Cyndys gathered. I set my craft to hover behind some tall, green forms. A quick scan told me they were plant forms and known to have no intelligence. I felt safe in the shadow of what seemed to be the grandest structures for miles around. I heard unintelligible yells and screams from the liquid pit. It seemed these Cyndys had found a way to navigate the pit. Their craft seemed to float across it, but none took flight. I looked closer to find the screams coming from the pit’s edge. Many Cyndys were submerged in the edge of the pit. As they screamed I thought they would certainly lose their lives in the pit. To my shock and horror, those that escaped certain doom and returned to the land mass quickly and readily returned to the liquid.

Several of the Cyndys were pulled along by a species that was obviously more intelligent. They Cyndys, I assumed then, were slaves to this other species. This species did not walk the same. The cylinders on their upper body supported their weight evenly with the cylinders on the back of their body. The hair that seemed to cover only the orbs atop the Cyndys covered this species completely. Increasing my listening device I heard one of the Cyndys refer to the master species as , “Rex”, and I will refer to this species as such.

The Cyndys provide food for the Rexes as demanded. I also saw a few Cyndys running behind Rexes and picking up some material that came out of the Rexes with a sack of some sort. A cursory analysis of this material showed it was some sort of excrement. Surely this proves the Rexes are the masters of the Cyndys.

The smaller Cyndys were allowed to run free with the Rexes and, to my disbelief, none of the smaller Cyndys were eaten by the Rexes, although I did see the Rexes masterfully scavenge burnt pieces of flesh from small, smoldering pits attended by the Cyndys. The Cyndys seemed to object to this behavior, but the Rexes were in control. I can only assume the smaller Cyndys were spared because they were not seared. Perhaps these smaller forms are used as offerings to appease the superior Rexes at various times, but I saw none of this from my hiding place.

The sky started to become dark as I watched these two species interact. Many of the craft came to rest along the sides of the liquid pit, and activity seemed to slow on the land mass somewhat. From the other side of the liquid pit, I could see a large craft moving slowly toward the middle, where it came to a stop. I raised my camouflage shields and pulled my craft up beyond the security of the plant forms. An odd sort of music started to play. It seemed to come from somewhere across the liquid pit, or perhaps from the pit itself. As the music continued, the Cyndys hushed. I knew I had heard something close to this music before, but could not place it.

I raised my craft still higher, sure that my shields would protect me from view. Suddenly showers of light came streaking into the sky from the craft in the middle of the liquid pit. The first few shots were not close, and I strained to see at what the Cyndys’ boat could be shooting. I saw nothing. More shots rang out, ever closer to me. I recognized the music as a bright red and blue shot streaked past the bow of my vessel. It was some version of the Mantorol war theme. The words accompanying the song were obviously in Cyndys’ language, but the notes were unmistakable. I threw my ship in reverse and attempted to escape. A large orange flare shot up behind me. I streaked forward in disbelief. I dropped my shields quickly, no longer caring if the Cyndys saw my vapor trail leaving their atmosphere.

It is my recommendation that we not return to this planet without reinforcements. The Cyndys are a hostile species at best. We have tangled with the Mantorol before, and the result was detrimental for our species. I agree that further study must be done, but it has become obvious that there is come connection between the Mantorol and the Cyndys. My recommendation is to proceed with caution.

END OF REPORT
© Copyright 2009 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1554489-MISSION-EARTH---2