*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558819-Rosies-Game
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1558819
All Rosie wants to do is play a game outside, and she'll do anything to get there...
“Mamma, can I go play outside?”
Mamma jumped and dropped her bright pink teacup.
“But…but Rose-Marie…” Mamma said, picking up the teacup in her wobbly hands. Her hands wobble a lot. It made Rosie giggle.
Mamma smiled. Or at least half-smiled.
“Wouldn’t you rather have a tea-party with Mamma and Mr.Snuffles?”
Mr. Snuffles looked with his black, beady eyes at Mamma as if agreeing with her. Rosie had had him for as long as she could remember. He was an old toy, scuffled but still intact. The five year old never went anywhere without him and refused to move unless he came with her. The stuffed toy’s head was tilted towards the floor, almost falling off the seat on which Rosie had placed him on. Silly Mr.Snuffles.
“Nah, I wanna play outside!”
Mamma gave Rosie a look. She has given Rosie a lot of looks when she asked to play. At first they were happy looks. Then angry looks. Now they are funny looks. Like Eeyore. All frowny and droopy. She smiled innocently as Mamma started to talk.
“Nno…no not today, honey,” Mamma stammered and picked up the teapot “would you like some more tea?”
Rosie frowned and started to say something under her breath. Mamma let out a small, sharp cry.
“OK…ok Rosie,” she squeaked and then cleared throat “no more tea-parties. Lets do something else. Something fun.”
Mamma looked around at all the toys scattered across the floor. There was a wind up robot, a baby doll, playing blocks, a soft teddy bear and a jigsaw puzzle, along with many other toys of childhood. She picked one. A jack-in-the-box.
“Oh, look Sweetie,” she murmured to the little girl, “this looks exciting.”
Her face was all wet and red and she was wobbling all over her body. Rosie giggled some more. She thought her Mamma was so funny.
Mamma placed the box down carefully on the table, looked at the handle on the side and paused.
“Rosie…” she started, but couldn’t finish her sentence so she went silent.
Rosie was used to her Mamma doing this so she ignored it. 
Mamma then lifted her hand up carefully and without warning, grabbed Rosie’s hand.
“LET GO!!!!” she squealed. The girl then whispered something illegible under her breath. Mamma gasped when she realized what she’d done but it’s all too late. Mamma’s gasp became an agonizing scream and she pulled her hand away from Rosie. She then lifted up her hand in horror. Or what used to be her hand. Mamma screamed louder as thick blood oozed out of the funny blob at the end of her hand. Rosie started laughing at the sight of it. Mamma then began running around the large, white room, screaming and howling in pain.
She loved it when her Mamma’s did that. She had had many Mammas in this room.  Suddenly, loud sirens sounded, making the experience even better. Rosie’s small laughs turn to shrill squeals of pleasure. Outside the room, she heard fists banging on the door. Banging because of Mamma’s chair, which was wedged between the doorknob and the doorframe had prevented anyone from getting in. Or out. Rosie had put it there while Mamma had retrieved the box. She went to the table and picked up Mr. Snuffles. She smiled at him.   
“Mr. Snuffles, you can wake up now.” She whispered to him “It’s time for us to go outside now”
Rosie placed Mr. Snuffles on the ground and started to chant. And as she did, she remembered…
“Ko-Mai An
Na-Su Ri Ah…”
She remembered her real Mamma how she never let her or her sister  play outside as well. In fact, her Mamma never take them to play anywhere. She would just sit there, smoking stuff that smelt awful and drinking from a brown bottle.
“No,” she would mumble and then she would coax the young girls into their rooms and lock the doors. 
“To-La Ki
Sa Ren-Di Da…”
She remembered how she would spend hours on end hugging Mr. Snuffles on her bed, tears in her eyes. She would talk to the stuffed doll, and he would talk back to her. And only to her.
“Mu-Fa Dri
Tal Sar-Ri Si”
Mr. Snuffles would say strange things and even stranger things would happen. Bottles would break and toys would blow up for no reason. And things would die suddenly. Like the cat did.  Soon enough, Rosie was able to do the same thing too. She would break windows and blow up walls. And things just died horribly. Like the man from next door. And the postman. And her sister. This was the reason why her real Mamma had left her and Mr. Snuffles with a strange man.
“Se-Sai Lah
Ta Nu-Rai Do”
She remembered how her Mamma promised to come back.
Mr. Snuffles growed and changed.
And she remembered the many years of sadness and then anger as she sat in the blank, white room, with all the fake, unloving Mammas, waiting for her real Mamma to come back for her. 
Mr. Snuffles looked at Rosie, a big, black demon covered in spikes. Rosie smiled and nodded towards the hysterical Mamma, now curled up in a small ball under the table.
Mr. Snuffles grunted, unsheathed his claws and lunged on Mamma.
“No more Mamma” Rosie said and then started laughing again. She laughed as Mr. Snuffles wiped the blood of his face. Behind them, the door shattered open and people started coming in. Rosie said a few words out loud. Several men in white coats moaned as various parts of their bodies exploded. Mr. Snuffles turned around and finished the rest of them off in several swipes of his large claws.
She continued to laugh again as he picked her up with his blood soaked paws and put her on his bristly back. He then charged towards the wall, head down.
Finally, she thought, finally I can go outside and play.
“And finding Mamma’s gonna be our first game” she said to Mr. Snuffles as they headed towards the bright, wide world outside.       

© Copyright 2009 T. Rose (chamilia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1558819-Rosies-Game