*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559188-Turning-down-the-wrong-one-way-street
by B Mill
Rated: E · Prose · Friendship · #1559188
Appreciating core friendships and valuable non-intimate relationships.
Is it a requirement to be loved in this world? Or is receiving good thoughts and feelings from other people in our lives enough?  Sure, we have unconditional love. We all appreciate it immensely, but what hurts the most is the removal of someone’s conditional love in our lives.  Generally though, someone’s conditional love is contingent on certain factors surrounding our lives that are very similar to the love we receive unconditionally.
Consider the love of parents, sometimes it feels like they love us because we are their children.  Which by the way, it a major thing to behold.  Seriously, could you ever consider not loving someone who is so much like you, that you can see it in every day behaviours, attitudes and morals in their lives. I definitely don’t hate myself, so why should I hate someone that has grown up looking up to me for guidance on my principles, morals and behaviours.  Overall, when we are growing up we look up to our parents, and find that the behaviours, morals and principles they exhibit to be justified and at least worthy of our attention.  This is much the case why you end up branching away from your parents as a young adult.  We understand our parents values but wish to form our own, maybe exactly the same but mostly just slightly variant to them.  I guess it has something to do with the fact that we are the product of two different people.  Our parents vary, and as a result we vary from them, but only a little.
When you consider past relationships with people unrelated to you, the things that they come to love surround these unconditional factors in much the same way.  You will generally share common values, enjoy each other’s behaviours and feelings; at least most of the time.  Good times are what make relationships last.  I mean, you wouldn’t stay if it was all bad.  I think friendships are much the same.  In this instance, friends can much more easily decide who they want to hang out with, talk to, and share emotions and feelings with.  Maybe this is why, as I younger person, finding friends means finding more friends which are similar to your appreciated sense of friendship.  You will generally get along with friends of friends, because what your friend sees in you to be your friend, they also see in other people to be their friend.  So appreciate the fact that friends will spend time with you.  They do this for many reasons, but mainly its got to do with a lot of the values and behaviours that people you have an intimate relationship with see also.
Therefore, even though your life may be without an intimate relationship, it encounters non-intimate relationships that are emotionally fulfilling, even if on a smaller scale.  That’s what friends do, attempt to emotionally fulfil each other.  So don’t ever think that it’s a one-way street with a friend.  If it was one-way they wouldn’t spend the time with you and share some good times.

© Copyright 2009 B Mill (bmill1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559188-Turning-down-the-wrong-one-way-street