*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559983-Discussion-Topic-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1559983
Point of View discussion
Disussion Topic #2

1. It was not tougher to write, but I lost my enthusiasm for the story because it had none of the tragic circumstances the first story did. The Teller didn't know why the guy was robbing the bank and didn't care. Because she didn't particular care, I guess I cared less as well.

2. I like first and third person POVs. I guess my journalism background gives me a penchant for first person, although it is not my favorite unless it is a walk down memory lane, perferably with a bit of humor. I like third because there are so many variations for it. I would have to say it depends on the story......but I detest second person. When I was in school we were not ever allowed to write in 2nd person. Everything had to be not "You will need to get out a pencil" or "Get out a pencil." It was to be "One should get a pencil out". I don't think that is 2nd person? I think in the last analysis, that the author's story telling ability and his/her pulling you into another place or time is what I enjoy about reading the most. If the story is well-done, I would suppose the author chose the best POV.

3. I liked the humor in "How to Become a Writer". I did not enjoy the second person point of view for two basic reassons: (a) Too many sentences beginning with the the word YOU or YOUR (I know, I know. How else does one write in 2nd POV) and (b) I felt like I had been run over by a Mack truck when I finished the piece. It had a very bossy tone and lots of quick, snappy short sentences which wore me out. I felt like I needed to be making a list and she was going too fast. I will read this piece several more times and I am sure I will grow to like it more and more.......that always happens to me......BUT I REFUSE TO LIKE 2nd POV even if it is well done.....and I would hazard a guess that this is done quite well or it would not have been chosen as a highlighted piece. I am just thankful we did not have to answer all the questions at the end of it. I would have had to kill myself then.
© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559983-Discussion-Topic-2