*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560124-King-Albacore-the-Arrogant
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1560124
A fractured fairy tale about pride. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must take place in a castle.

King Albacore the Arrogant

Wizen looked up from his roasted sheep haunch as the scouts rode into camp. They had spent the last week in and around the giant castle of King Albacore the Arrogant. It had been their task to find a weakness in the castle’s defenses that would allow Wizen and his men to capture this valuable prize.

This would take considerable cunning on the part of Wizen. His armed band had succeeded time and again using guile instead of might. This stood in direct contrast with the highly successful Screaming Horde strategy favored by most marauders of the middle ages.

“What have you found?”

“The kingdom is rich and a worthy prize,” said one scout.

“The walls are five arms thick and taller than three stacked horses. It will be impossible to force our way in,” reported another scout.

“The King is arrogant. He dresses fancy and is quick to anger. He immediately attacks any challenge to his omnipotence.” said the third scout.

Wizen thought for a moment and then said, “Tell the men we attack at dawn.”

The next day, a small band of armed men stood outside the castle gate as their letter was delivered to the king. Half an hour later, the king and his soldiers burst out of the castle gate and chased the small band over the horizon.

With the coast clear, Wizen rode into the castle with the bulk of his marauders. Once in, he simply closed the gate behind him and assumed possession of the castle unopposed. As he took his place on the throne, he spied the note he had sent in earlier.

“King Albacore the Arrogant. I hearby declare that I am laying siege to your castle. You cannot leave the castle grounds until I let you. Wizen.”

Word count 300


http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560124-King-Albacore-the-Arrogant