*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560359-A-Jump-to-Love
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1560359
A man meets a woman and a surprise second meeting leads to romance.
Headlights swept the street, illuminating the world with a ghostly sheen. While Jim Greene drove, he kept an eye open for an early morning café where he could get some breakfast. Through the milky fog, a neon sign faded in. As he drove closer, he was able to read the large block letters, Dan’s Diner – Open at 6am. Jim swung his 2001 Cadillac in to the lot and shut off the engine. Exiting the car he caught the aroma of frying bacon and brewing coffee.

Entering the diner, he noticed a handful of people already seated. He sat on a stool at the counter and grabbed a menu. The lone waitress sat a glass of water in front of him and asked if he wanted coffee. “Yes, please.” he responded. Deciding on what he wanted, Jim placed the menu back in its position in the condiment holder on the dark walnut glossed countertop.

The smiling waitress brought his coffee. “Are you ready to order?” she asked.

Reading the nametag pinned to her lapel, Jim replied “I sure am, Betty.” She smiled. “I’d like the two-egg special, with three pieces of toast and bacon, no sausage.”

“Would there be anything else?” she asked.

“As a matter of fact there is. Would you know where the Andersonville Airport is? I have to be there in a few hours for a skydiving session.”

“I sure do. It’s out route twenty-four north, about five miles.” she said.

“Ok, thanks.”

With a wink and a nod the waitress said “Sure, you’re welcome honey.”

Jim looked around the diner. It was set in a retro fifties décor. The Rockola jukebox, with its multicolored glass decorations and rounded top, was playing Fats Dominos “Blue Berry Hill”. There was a couple with a young child eating breakfast in a booth with a classic ebony laminated table top and red vinyl bench seats. The decorator did a fantastic job capturing the essence of the fifties, Jim thought.

He watched Betty the waitress as she shuffled along, topping off customers drinks and wiping empty tables. Stopping at the now quiet jukebox, she selected more songs. He found her quite attractive dressed in the nineteen-fifty’s style uniform. Her brunette pony tail and bright red lipstick finished off the effect.

As she carefully placed Jim’s food on the counter, she said “Have you been skydiving long?”

“About five years.” he said.

“I’ve done some skydiving myself. There’s nothing like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.” she said. “Tell Hank that Betty said hi. He eats here a lot. Enjoy your breakfast.”

“I’ll do that.” Jim said through a smile. When he was finished eating, Betty glided up and asked if he wanted anything else this morning. “No thank you.” he said and dropped a twenty on the counter. “Keep the change.”

“Thanks darlin’. Stop again.” Betty said.

As Jim pushed on the glass door to leave, he hesitated when he heard “Be My Love” by Mario Lanza playing on the Rockola wondering if that was one of Betty’s selections. Good song, he thought.

Turning in to the driveway next to the airport sign, Jim noticed a building that looked out of place. The house was painted an incongruous shade of red. The other outbuildings were painted in more earthy colored greens and tans. Strange, he thought.

As he walked toward the hanger, Jim saw a blue and white single engine Cessna 206 airplane with the hood propped open. There was a man standing there with a rag in hand. “Good morning.” Jim said. “Having problems?”

“Nah, just finishing the flight checklist.” the man said.

“Jim Greene.” said Jim extending his hand.

“Ah, I’ve been expecting you. Hank Hawkins,” said the man accepting Jim’s hand with a firm shake.

“I have the chutes all packed and ready to go, that is, unless you want to pack your own.” said Hank.

“You have a good reputation.” Jim said. “I’m sure you packed it right, but if you don’t mind, I think I will pack my own chute. It brings my mind to focus on the jump. Speaking of reputations, Betty at the diner said to tell you she said hello.”

Hank said. “Dan’s Diner has the best food in town. I eat there all the time. Betty Pratt is a heck of a woman. The poor soul has had a rough time of it though.”

“How’s that?” Jim asked.

“Well, she married a handsome young man a while back. He was killed in a car accident, about eighteen months ago. They used to come skydiving at least eight or ten times a year. She hasn’t been here since her husbands’ death.”

“That’s a shame.” said Jim.

“She’s a good spirited woman. I think she has pretty much accepted his death and is trying to put it behind here and move on.” Hank said. “Enough of the sad talk, follow me and I’ll show you where you can pack your chute.”

Jim followed as Hank led him in to the hanger. Near the back was an area taped off with the floor swept clean. “You can pack your chute here.” said Hank. “Everything you need is on the shelves there.” Hank said pointing to the large shelving unit built against the wall. “If you need anything else, give me a holler.”

“Thanks Hank.” said Jim.

“Your welcome.” said Hank.

As Jim packed his chute, he thought about the waitress at the Diner and how it was a coincidence that she too was a jumper. He thought about how attractive she was and how he felt that he met her before, maybe at a jump event sometime in the past. He strapped the freshly packed bundle around his waist and chest and walked out of the hanger. “I’m done packing and I’m ready to go when you are Hank.” he said.

Hank gently lowered the hood of the aircraft and locked it down. “All finished here too. We just have to wait for another jumper that should be here in a few minutes. It sure is a beautiful day to jump.”

And it was. Light blue skies with several cottony white clouds puffed overhead. The flag outside the hanger hung with no wind to support it. Jim could hear cows moaning their tune off in the distance. The smell of a freshly fertilized field was in the air.

“This should be her now.” Hank said. They watched the light blue pickup leaving a trail of dust as it approached the hanger.

Jim watched as the woman got out of the truck. Hank came out of the hanger with a chute that was already packed. While Hank helped the woman strap in to her chute, Jim could see them talking and pointing, but could not hear what they were saying.

As they got closer to the plane, Jim thought he recognized the well proportioned woman. As she climbed in to the plane, she introduced herself, “Hi. I’m Betty Pratt. It looks like we not only had breakfast together, but will be jumping together today too.”

“Well, if you jump as well as you serve, I am sure there will be no problems. I’m Jim Greene. Nice meeting you, again.” Jim said.

The aircraft sputtered to a smooth roar. It jerked slightly as it began to roll down the taxi area and stopped at the beginning of a runway. It was a small airport and did not have an air traffic controller so Hank queried a larger neighboring airport for take off clearance.

“Here we go.” Hank said. “We will be at jump altitude in about twenty minutes.”

“Thanks.” Jim hollered over the roar of the engine as the plane lifted from the runway.

Once in the air, Jim moved closer to Betty so that she could hear him talking. “How long have you been jumping?” he asked.

“Almost ten years, but it’s been a while since my last jump.” Betty said.

After clearing some turbulent, Betty gave Jim a sour look. “Are you okay?” he said.

“Sure. It’s been a while since I flew in a small plane. I have to get used to it again.” she said.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, admiring the view from the air. Jim watched as Betty wiggled in her seat when another wind gust caused the plane to jerk from side to side.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” he said.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. When you mentioned jumping this morning at breakfast, it stirred my blood. The first time I wanted to jump in a very long time.” she said.

As the plane reached jumping altitude, they readied to jump. Betty told Jim “I may need a drink after this. It is putting my nerves to the test.”

“I would be happy to accompany you, if it would be all right with you.” Jim said.

Without a word she turned, smiling briefly, then jumped.

Word count: 1493
© Copyright 2009 Robert Kaine (kaine106 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560359-A-Jump-to-Love