*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560400-Her-Hands-Were-Weak-Her-Heart-Was-Strong
Rated: E · Chapter · Family · #1560400
Wisdom lurks in the hearts of our elders
Rosie lay in bed,and though her body ached she did all that she knew how to do at this point. She hummed. She hummed herself to sleep. Once she was asleep, her soul journeyed and the music carried her to a place where pain and heartache was forbidden. Rosie found herself in a garden of Lilies, Tulips,and Iris's; just to name a few. She took in all of the scents around her, and thought to herself, "this must be heaven." It wasn't long that Rosie was in the garden when she was visited by an onlooker.
"I see this is your first visit." The on looker said.
Rosie turned around, startled. With a smile on her face she said, "I didn't hear you come up. You said this must be my first visit? How can you tell?" Rosie asked.
"Well, all of the new comers have the same reaction, and they all think the same thing." The on looker said.
"What is it that the new comers think?" Rosie asked.
"They all think this must be heaven." The on looker said.
"Isn't this heaven, I mean it's the most beautiful garden I've ever seen." Rosie admitted.
"Nope, it's not heaven, but you're real close. If you think this is beautiful, wait until you see the garden at night. This place comes alive." The on looker spoke with excitement and suspense.
"Who are you, if you don't mind me asking?" Rosie questioned.
"Oh, I've forgotten my manners. I'm Lilith. The Goddess of the "Sacred Forest." She answered.
"So, is that how you know my thoughts;because you are a Goddess?" Rosie asked. "Of course." Lilith answered, enjoying her conversation with Rosie.
"How did I end up here?" Rosie.
"It's a long story, one that I must engage you in on our next encounter. Just know that this is a good place. I'll always be here, and I'll always be near. Your best days are yet ahead. Just you wait." Lilith said to Rosie. and as she did a single tear dropped from her eye.
"I don't understand." Rosie said, confused.
"Hold on, just a bit longer Rosie, it's not your time yet." Lilith encouraged Rosie.
Rosie tried to speak once more but her tongue was tied again. She was back in the bed and the pain that was once gone was back with a hateful vengence. Rosie winced and groaned as the pain consumed her.
"Ms.Rosie,what's the matter? Are you having some pain." The lady at her bedside asked.
Rosie tried to speak, but she couldn't. She tried to move, but her body was bound and held hostage by the disease that ailed her. The only thing that seemed to be working were her hands. She waved them frantically, trying to get the young lady to understand.
"What are you trying to tell me Ms. Rosie? Are you trying to tell me that you need some pain medicine?" The lady asked.
Rosie waved her hand up and down to signal yes, but the girl still couldn't comprehend.
"If you are saying yes, blink your eyes twice." The lady instructed.
Rosie blinked her eyes twice,and also waved her hands up and down, the way you'd say yes with your head. Then she dropped her arms. Just that little bit made her extremely tired. The lady left the room to go get medicine. Rosie lay there thinking of the Sacred Forest. She longed to go back there. In the Sacred Forest there was no pain,and all of here limbs worked just fine. She longed to speak, just for a little while. She wanted to tell her daughters about the dream she had. Little did Rosie know, this was not a dream.
Rosie closed her eyes, trying heard to get back to the dream, but was soon interrupted.
"Momma. Hi. How are you feeling today?"
The visitor was Rosie's oldest daughter Carol. Rosie tried to say something, but her mouth would not form the words. "What are you trying to say Momma. I know. I know it's hard for you, but that's okay. Let's see if I can figure it out." Carol said.
She spoke as if she were speaking to a child. Rosie hated when her girls would talk to her like this, but what could she do. Absolutely nothing. Rosie's mind wandered a little bit as her daughter spoke. She thought about her life and all of the things she'd done. If she had to take anything back. It would be the way she took care of her body. The cancer that was eating away at her surely had to have been brought on by all of those cigarettes she smoked. Rosie was in the middle of remembering her first drag, when her daughter snapped her out of her daydream.
"Hey, honey. What's going on? You seem so out of it today." Carol observed her mom as she lay in the bed. "When is the last time you've had some pain medicine? Are you having pain right now Momma?" The questions rolled off of Carol's tongue like a thorough interview. Rosie couldn't be mad, out of all her daughters, she knew Carol would take care of business. While Carol was in the midst of asking questions, the Nurse came in with some medicine. The nurse administered the medicine through Rosie's IV. As she did, she spoke to Carol and the caregiver who sat at her bedside.
"As you all know this medicine is going to keep her drowsy. I'll go ahead and tur her to get her a bit more comfortable, but she'll be sleep soon." The nurse closed off the line as she spoke.
"Isn't there some other medicine that you all could give her that would keep her from being so out of it? Carol asked rubbing her mom's leg more as a soothing gesture for her.
"Unfortunately, with Mrs.Hitchens condition, this is the best for her. This form of cancer is very painful, and the goal is to keep from feeling as much pain if any at all.

© Copyright 2009 watercrest (poeticchef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560400-Her-Hands-Were-Weak-Her-Heart-Was-Strong