*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562551-Slynokio
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1562551
Don't read this or you'll have nightmares.
         Eyes piercing out from the bushes into the clearing. Those eyes followed every move the eldest woman went, following her. She stopped to pick out berries from a mullberry bush. Suddenly the invader decided to move in. Slowly, crouched very low to ground level, it moved. One paw after the other, it was well aware that at any slight sound the woman would realize she was being a target.
         Suddenly the woman realized something was wrong. None of the birds was singing their usual song or rabbits running around in the field. Quickly, she turned from the bush to the clearing, looking for why she felt what she felt. Nothing. Grass swayed by the wind. Meanwhile the predator stopped, waiting for her to return to picking berries, seeing the woman alerted on its presence.
         A cry from a bald eagle flying overhead broke the silence. It was enough to scare the lady. She took off, running as fast as she could. Seeking to eat the dark colored dragon jumped, unfolding its large wide wings to catch a warm current to take it up into the air. It succeeded. The dragon's scales glistened in the sun. It watched the lady, finding speed and height to snatch her and take her into its liar to feast. This wasn't its first time in need of food risking death if it doesn't eat soon. Then it swooped down, keeping the lady in sight the entire time.
         Success, it was able to snatch her and carry her into its lair. There, it made a quick jerk of her head, knocking the lady out. Then it watched her lay writhing and panting helplessly. She was wounded greatly and bleeding to death. Then she screamed, the last noise made before her final breath then stillness. Then the dragon ate her, tearing apart meat from bone and swallowing it. In the end of the meal, there was nothing left but bones left untouched.
         Slynokio was a two week old dragon, very new to life on earth. He was one of the last of dragonkind. There was a brood that hatched right after the last of all dragons was killed. He was one of the ten. Sly has never met or seen a human before. If he did, he wouldn't even have known it. Sly's dark black color gives him an unique advantage among tall grass and soil. The soil itself was pure black from nutrition.
         Slynokio was tired from the kill. He went into the small room he made to sleep in. After settling down he fell fast asleep. In his dream he was all grown up. He saw spirits of old dragons coming down from the stars to stand beside him. Then they started to talk, one by one. Each one gave him a speech of their own. The speeches itselves was regarding to one subject. It was like his mother and father talking to him while he was inside his egg still, forming. Enjoying every minute of it, he listened, becoming somewhat aware now of it.
         A scream rung down into Slynokio's lair. Hearing it he tried to wake up unsuccessfully. He was at that stage of sleep where paralysis overtook him. Helpless, he heard the scream over and over again. After minutes passed, he became unaware of his surroundings and fell into a deep sleep. Then he stopped dreaming and became fully into an altered state of conscious.
         The next day Slynokio woke up. He yawned, feeling happy. One thing that bugged him is remembering spirits coming down and giving speeches and also the piercing scream that echoed in his sleep too. Slowly, he walked out of his home, stretching with each step. After feeling the relaxation of the muscles throughout every inch of his body, he relaxed. A young boy was skipping around in the meadow. Sly smiled.
         Then the boy came up by Sly, unafraid. He stood tall with his shoulders back, as if he's always been with dragons. Curious, Sly turned and faced him. This was the first time he's ever met a prey so fearless in meeting him face to face.
         "Good morning. I see you are out of your lair," the boy said loudly, not in a shout.
         Hello. What brings you near me? I am much larger than you, Sly was curious.
         "You are a very newborn dragon. I've worked with your parents. I loved them," was the boy's reply.
         You know what? I'm beginning to see you as a friend.
         "Friend or enemy, if you let me, I will teach you things dragons absolutely need to know."
         Okay. When should your teaching began?
         "Right away tomorrow. Meet me at this very spot. For then, I'll tell you all that I know of dragons and their history as well as when humans became involved."
         That sounds like a deal to me.
         Sly watched as the boy left, wondering what will come. He had high hopes, being young and unexperienced. As he watched the boy leave, he became thirsty. Preparing for flight, he looked as the pond was seen at a distance. He leapt into the air and then flew to the lake. There he landed and enjoyed a refreshing drink, filling his thirst.
         A flash in the sky alarmed and alerted Sly. He immediately looked up. Out of nowhere, a yellow dragon flew, heading towards the mountains. He immediately fell in love with that dragon. Thinking nothing other than the dragon he saw flying overhead and disappearing into the mountains, he went back into his own lair to prepare for tomorrow.
         First, he made the floor muddy all around. Then he moved the mud, forming stumps and decorations. Then, just as he did with the roof, he crystallized the mud so it would not fall apart. Pleased at how the cave looked, he decided to go outside for a flight.
         Outside his lair the yellow dragon he saw earlier was observing the area. She was completely oblivious to the fact there was a black dragon watching her. He watched, recognizing the fact the other dragon was absolutely beautiful and charming. Then she turned around and saw him. Not knowing what he was himself even after talking with a boy, he started to back away from her.
         Hello she said, moving closer.
         Who are you? Sly was still scared of her.
         I am apparently the one you admire.
         Well, you make me feel all warm and strange inside.
         Invite me into your lair. I would love to see more of what your personality is.
         Chills going down through his spine, Sly was excited. He never had a friend before. He showed her the way into his lair. Then he took her to the main room, the place with the most decorations in it as well as stumps. She made a low sounding squeal of pleasure. Then she turned and faced him.
         Can I stay with you in your dwelling?
         As long as you want to. Yes you can stay with me.
         I will sleep out here tonight. Now, let's find a meal to eat together.
         Sly became a little clumsy in his steps. He was hungry from a day of not eating anything and talking to first human, then another dragon. He followed her out. Then he realized his hunting skills wasn't good at all. He would have to learn from her and the boy who promised to teach about the history of dragons and when humans came around. First the girl dragon fell asleep. He watched as she breathed deeply in and out. After awhile then he fell asleep too, dreaming of having exciting adventures.
© Copyright 2009 Angelica- Spring forwar school (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562551-Slynokio