*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562763-Chapter-Two
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1562763
This is part of chapter two of my novel.
Chapter Two

Sunday
August 28th, 2005

3pm

Police Sargent Ryan Nagin tapped the pen on the legal pad in front of him as he listened intently to the caller.

"Ryan, why won't the Chief let you go so you can leave?" his mother asked him in a worried tone.
"Because, mom, he needs me here for what we need to do after the storm passes. I will be fine," he replied in a calm voice.
"Well, okay. If you can please call,"
"I will mother,"
"Okay, Honey, we love you,"
"I love you too,"
"Bye,"

He hung up and sat back. the Chief came up to him and patted him assuringly on the shoulder.

"It's going to be ok, Nagin," he told him.
"I hope. The news reports are saying that this storm is gong to be worse than the they call 'The Storm of the Century'."
"Let's hope not," the Cheif replied as he started out the window. He noticed that the sky was dark and threatening.
"I agree. What are we suppose to do once the storm passes?"
"First we go door-to-door to check on those who couldn't leave their homes," he answered.
"Okay,"
"Then I don't know what. I haven't gotten that far yet,"
"We'll figure it out when the times comes,"

Suday
August 28th, 2005

5pm

I turned up the volume on the TV. The news anchor was saying something...

"...potentially catastrophic hurricane. Some of New Orlean's levees will be overtopped. Significant storm surge flooding will occur along the Gulf Coast."

I shook my head sadly.

"Most of New Orleans is going to flood," I said aloud to myself.

The sound of my own voice sounded foreign to me. I was getting more and more worried after every news cast.

"Maybe I should have left," I told myself. "But how?"

Another knock sounded on my door. I went to the window and looked out. No one was there. I shook my head.

"I must be hearing things," I said to myself. "Or someone is playing a cruel prank on me,"

Then I heard something upstairs. I grabbed the baseball bat I had by the front door and slowly climbed the stairs. My heart was pounding in my throat as I reached the top. With the bat in hand I checked every room. I heard the sound again. I slowly walked down the hall to my room. With bat in hand I used my right foot to slowly nudge the door open. Then I jumped into the room, ready to hit something or someone that came at me. That's when I noticed that was making the noise: I hadn't shut the shutters when I had woken up from my nap. I laughed at myself.

"I guess I am just jumpy because of the impending storm," I thought to myself.

I shut the shutters and then went back downstairs. After I placed the bat in its rightful place I walked around downstairs checking every window. All of them were shut and locked tight. Satisfied I walked back into the kitchen.

6:30pm

Vincent Brewer put the last bullet into the magazine and closed it. Then he took his knife began sharpening it. He smiled as he watched the blade get sharper and sharper.

"This is for you Liz," he said aloud to himself.

He laughed. It was an evil laugh that was cold as he was cold-hearted. He loved to put fear into people, especially women. They were so vunerable when afraid. He loved it.

"No hurricane will keep me from you, Liz," he thought. "We belong together,"

After he was finished with the knife, he placed it back in its sheath and placed in the nightstand beside his bed. He placed the gun there as well. He shut the drawer and locked it. Then he laid down on his bed and fell asleep.
© Copyright 2009 Jessica Lynn Fleming (catwoman1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562763-Chapter-Two