*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563354-The-Mirror
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1563354
Life is a mirror, humanity has more similarities than differences!
The most influential man in human history (Jesus Christ), said "It is better to remove the log in your eyes before trying to remove the spec in your brother's eye."

That is one of the most insightful words ever spoken. It is very easy for someone to sit on a high moral chair and judge the other person as good or evil. But is the judging person any better?
What then shall we say? Could it be right to say that good and evil are subjective? Does that mean we can not condemn the rapist because we violated traffic rules sometimes earlier?

The moral question of 'the good' and 'the bad' has been with us for ages. The new found freedom of the modern world has made it impossible to define the acceptable and the unacceptable.
We've been told that we're free to make our choices. We're free to choose our lifestyle, free to choose our beliefs, free to choose our sexual orientation; we're free choose our rights and our wrongs.
Hence right and wrong depends on individual values and not on shared societal beliefs. I think we are on our path to losing our humanity.

It is a certainty that the freedom to choose is good; especially if one comes from a group of people that have sometimes in the past suffered oppression (Jews and Blacks as examples).
The oppressor would have reasons to oppress because he thinks his victims are evil. The victims are evil because their values and beliefs are different from that of the oppressed.

Then we can easily make a case for the armed robbers, rapists, paedeophiles. They strongly believe in what they do! The armed robber would tell you of the hollow rumbling sounds made by his stomach that drove him to steal; the rapist will tell you of the lady's miniskirt that made his 'thing' to stand; the paedeophiles will tell you of the compelling power of the devil that made him lose control!

It would have been easier if we also remember the popular saying 'Treat others as you want to be treated'.
That would be a good start!
It would be unfair to judge other people's culture based on the yardstick of one's culture. If we are careful to see from other people's point of view, it would be easy to realise that humans have the different ways of saying the same thing.

But I have never seen a culture that smile and hail the rape of women, sexual abuse of children and armed robbery.

Look into the mirror of life, that act that one hates in another culture, takes another toga in one's culture. One just needs to open one's eye to see it.
© Copyright 2009 Feyisayo (fhefofx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563354-The-Mirror