*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563949-The-Feeding
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1563949
Angela has finally found the one...so has Brett. Winner Daily Flash Fiction 5/24/09!
"Good morning, Sunshine."  Brett smiled, walking into the bedroom with a breakfast tray.  "I thought we might go down to the lake later for a swim."

Angela kissed him, gushing at the idea.  She and Brett had been dating for two months when he invited her to spend a weekend at his father's cabin.

"Eat up," he ordered.  "I'm giving you an hour to get ready."

An hour later Angela walked outside to find Brett standing next to a tandem bicycle.

"A bicycle built for two?"  She joked. 

"I thought it would be romantic."

Angela's heart warmed at the gesture.  This might be the guy, she thought.

"It's beautiful out here," she commented when they arrived at the lake.

"Yeah, my Dad loves it here."

"I thought he passed away a few years ago?"

"Yeah...I meant to say that he loved it here."  Brett explained.  Then perking up, he said, "I'm gonna get some swimming goggles out of the shed over there.  It's really cool to see the fish."

Angela walked to the water's edge, removing her clothing.  She put her foot in the water, jumping back at how cold it was.

"It's freez............"  Before she could finish the sentence, Angela fell to the ground with a thud.

Brett stood over Angela's lifeless body, holding a shovel.

A crow flew out of nowhere.  Caw-eh-ah!  Caw-eh-ah!  It screeched.

"I know you're hungry, Dad."  Brett sighed, turning Angela's body over with his foot.

With that, the crow landed on her face and the feeding began.

Brett was somber as he rode back to the cabin.  After all this time, he could not get used to the carnage, but it was his duty as a son.  Someday, his son would have to do it for him.

Word count: 293

© Copyright 2009 anastasia beyverhausen (moisie75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563949-The-Feeding