*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565956-Junis-Big-Idea
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by June
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Comedy · #1565956
One Writer's Struggle, both humerous and somewhat true!
The computer screen stared back at her, its quiet hum mocking the empty page of her word processor. The assignment due date was closing in and Juni's excuse to mull the article over with a beer was beginning to wear thin.

She had the story all in her head. Carefully and lovingly sorted out with every detail in its proper place, each shocking twist and turn plotted out to the littlest particle. It was a sure fire hit that no one else could possibly top.

And yet the screen remained painfully blank leaving the story to bounce around freely about her skull, doing nothing at all to aid the perpetual headache caused by many days in front of her ancient monitor.

"Sure" she had told her mother shortly after her graduation "Journalism is just the thing for me. Seriously, how hard can it be?"

Juni had thought that journalism was the easiest thing in the world. She had always been a great writer, even in the second grade her teachers had sung a great many praises for her written words. What could be better than getting paid for her obvious literary genius?

Of course it was just her luck that the real world had to prove her wrong. Juni quickly found that there was a reason they called it work. Instead of the fluffy dream of writing her heart out on any issue she wanted, she found a pile of boring and mundane assignments that had no creative wiggle room at all.

It took an eternity to get a meeting with the paper's editor to change this, and took an eternity after that to convince him. She pitched her ideas again and again, explaining them in every possible way to make him budge.

Now here when the editor finally gave her a little more leash to go off on her own whim she found that her brain was dried up. The creative juices Juni had thrived on for so long lost to the months of neglect.

But Juniper Evelyn Alden was not about to quit right after her first journalistic victory. She took a deep gulp from her beer can and put her nose back on the grindstone. With a firm few taps on her keyboard the opening word for her article appeared.

The letters T H and E spat in the face of Juni's blank screen, throwing down a proverbial gauntlet as they wiggled their rear in taunting. She couldn't help but smile as she mused upon the idea of the blank page groaning from her first big blow.

It was a tough act to follow, but many combinations of letters tried. P E O P L and E was the first attempt. When they returned to the void C I T and Y tried to take their place. Many others came after, yet none of them could live up to T H and E.

Juni cried out in frustration when she realized how insignificant the victory of THE really was. Thus T H and E were returned to the void humbly admitting their defeat. The screen returned to its blank state daring her to try again.

"Why do I even bother?" She asked herself out loud "What can I possibly write about that would really matter?"

The blank screen stayed silent to her queries, offering her no advice or encouragement in any direction. Juni looked at the normal mundane article she had written in back up should the editor not like her new story, and her eyes brightened once her former brilliance finally struck.

"Two Maine families homeless following suspicious fire" Her title declared, boring and to the point. It was soon deleted and replaced with a more zesty hook.

"Arsonist strikes innocent Maine families. Who is to blame?" replaced it as a wide smile followed on Juni's face.

"In the capital this week a two family apartment building fell victim to a fire said to have been started late Tuesday night." Her opening line read, again it was mundane in every respect.

"In the capital, known for being a cesspool of crime and villainy," She began to re-write "An unknown arsonist attacks a local apartment building, the two families in residence barely escaping with their lives."

Juni spent the rest of the night vigorously polishing the story, zesting it with her wild word choices and dramatic flair. The beep of her timed coffee pot was the only warning that the deadline was almost upon her, and she had very little time left to get to work.

Standing in the editor's office later that morning, the dark circles under her eyes did their best to hide under the layers of foundation. Juni watched as he scanned her draft, his expression remaining tired and tried.

"Not bad" he said in his usual monotony "A fine effort on your part indeed, just a few quick pointers though."

"Arsonist strikes" became "Maine families fall victim to fire."

"The capital cesspool of crime and villainy" became "Fire destroys a two family apartment complex in the state capitol."

After several minutes the draft was handed back to her, boring and mundane. It was essentially the same article from before. Only much worse than she could have ever made it. Juni sighed while contemplating her next move.

"Will there be anything else Miss Alden?" the editor asked noticing she had not left when he had dismissed her.

Juni stood slumped as she quickly pondered the pros and cons of her situation. Knowing time was of the essence she needed to act fast before the window was closed on her. Before she lost what little courage left to her.

"Yes" Juni replied standing up straighter "I quit!"
© Copyright 2009 June (junalaluna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565956-Junis-Big-Idea