*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566595-Freedom-of-Speech
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #1566595
Talks about our power to have freedom of speech
I personally believe that everyone has the right to freedom of speech. That we are all able to put our views across without being ridiculed or feeling demeaned for our thoughts.

Each of us have ideas for what we’d like to do but some of us are too scared to say what they are for fear of being rejected or having our ideas rubbished. Personally if someone did that to me, I’d set out to prove them wrong, though there are those of us who don’t like to rock the boat so will just let their dreams die.

If someone has something to say, I think we should let their voices be heard. We are not all created equal and we don’t all share the same views or beliefs so if someone has something to say I think we should hear them out. Who knows maybe we’ll learn something new in the process.

Although if someone doesn’t have anything to share it could mean that they have the same belief system as someone else, or that they can’t think of anything to add to the current conversation.

Freedom of speech is to be regarded as one of our most basic of human rights, which the governments are to protect though there is some speech which is restricted by law. This means that speech that could potentially endanger individuals, groups or even the nation as a whole are judged to lie outside of the protection of freedom of speech. Although there are certain types of speech which are recognized as being harmful, by repressing freedom of speech without rational grounds can be seen as a greater evil.

I believe if we have something to say we should say it or else it will eat us up inside and cause us more distress later on in life. Though if what we have to say could cause harm to others we need to think of a diplomatic way of getting our view across so as not to hurt the other person.
© Copyright 2009 SnugglyKitten (snugglykitten at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566595-Freedom-of-Speech