*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567231-Nature-at-its-best
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SPRIHA
Rated: E · Other · Travel · #1567231
Experiencing NATURE at its best - A trip to the JIM CORBETT National Park, India
PREFACE

She deserved the outing.

In fact, I owed it to her. And to her mother too!!

The event did turn out to be an exhilarating experience right from the start. She was quick to recover from the awe of not having to put on her school dress that religiously she does on any other morning, since stepping into her school, except on Sundays. To her, any day when I am not going to office is a SUNDAY, and whenever she wants me to stay back at home she says “PLEASE TAKE A SUNDAY TODAY”. Anyway, literally she made a dash for her outing-shoes not allowing her mother to even put a hair-band.  I yelled, “Give me just two minutes. You should not take the stairs alone.”



THE JOURNEY

Although we talked a lot about the forthcoming vacation in the previous night, but given her age and lack of any other similar experience, understandably she could not much relate to the differences that were in store. As our car moved out of the confines of the city, it sprung more and more surprises to her naïve senses. It took time for ‘What’s that!! What’s that!!’ to subside, and get repeated less frequently, as gradually she came to terms with unfolding of the vastness and magnanimity beyond her microcosm. That gave her mother the space to chip in with her usual phrases ‘SPRIHA do you want biscuits? No? Then would you have some sandwiches?’, ‘SPRIHA have more water’. Not that I was spared. For me came ‘Can’t you see that her dress is getting wet? Stop looking at the newspaper. You will have enough time for that later’. As I retorted back “Can’t you spare me a couple of minutes even on this trip?” SPRIHA stayed oblivious of our quotidian exchanges.

It went on, as SPRIHA finally settled down with her “GEE-REEN” (green-packet) potato chips and “DIARY MILK” chocolates with occasional sips from her water bottle satisfying her mother’s eternal agony. Though reluctant initially, it was satisfying that eventually she was humble enough to share it with RAI.

See how I have left RAI and his parents not introduced!!! However, given the excitement I was going through as I set out for penning my daughter’s maiden outing experience, I probably deserve to be spared for this.

RAI, albeit already introduced to such experiences, was equally excited to have SPRIHA in this particular outing. Understandably he was the BIG BROTHER with a rightful sense of duty towards a little sister!! However, his excitement was a bit dampened as his father had temperatures since the previous evening and was thus forced to maintain a reasonably low profile. Having been the key figure in chalking out the trip, and doing all the spadework that facilitated our heading for the much awaited vacation, it was really the least desirable start. It forced RAI to eventually settle for the computer games using his father’s laptop. Convinced by his father’s gradual and apparent improvement, his mother eventually felt enough fervor and started sharing her previous experiences with us.

Finally, this departure from the regular chores of our otherwise hectic life and its concomitant monotony, gave in to the much awaited relaxation for our senses.

Shortly it was time for a break and go for a breakfast beyond the precincts of our dining tables. Our car stopped at a delightful road-side DHABA that flaunted a neatly decorated building in the backdrop of pleasant greenery. HOORAY!!! …. We had to run after RAI and SPRIHA, as they dashed towards the eatery’s entrance-canopy. RAI’s father too could manage to recover enough and run after them along with me. Again, HOORAY!!! !!!

Whilst RAI did reasonably manage to satisfy his parents with his breakfast stint, SPRIHA as usual fared badly, thanks to her mother’s perpetual anguish. My limited interference did fetch me a barrage “Don’t interfere in what that generally you stay away from!” and “I know better what she ought to do.” However things subsided as we left the eatery behind, and gradually moved close to our destination. After a long drive leaving the bridge over the Ganges behind, as our car veered from the National Highway to trace the feeder route to our Forest Reserve, the moods were virtually elated. Whilst children put their LUDO games temporarily on hold and instead started peeping outside the window panes expecting a fortuitous encounter with wild animals that were being told of since they started, elders were unanimously eager to see an end to the travails of the journey. Curiosity of how the facilities and the overall ambience would eventually turn out to be became more palpable as we approached the destined forest resort.

A small granular track taking off from the paved highway immediately led us through the pebble laden bed of a seasonal river. Before the excitement, of trailing a path potentially traversed by our sought-after wild animals, could subside, a small temporary sign-board forced a clamor, THAT’S IT! THE RESORT IS THERE! Don’t remember whose voice could manage to surface better than the others’, but I still remember the gleaming faces as our car moved through the under-construction wooden gate of the resort.



THE RESORT

The TIGER TRAIL did please us instantly. Even though it was located outside the “CORE” forest, the ambience could instantaneously instill an assurance of the desired tranquility. The haphazardness in the layout of the resort’s cottages was intended at inducing a departure from a usual orderly landscape quite typical to urban settings. The thatched roofs of the cottages were in complete harmony with the exterior mud-walls, as if in an effort to simulate a consonance with the serene agricultural countryside stretching right up to the foothills of the omnipresent mountain ranges. The moisture laden winds from the adjoining maize-fields were probably ridiculing our penchant for air-conditioned interiors. Being devoid of even an iota of gust, the zephyr was perhaps to assure us of the relaxing pace that we can look forward to during our stay. Lurking from the wooded mountain faces, dense patches of dark clouds were as if precursors to further pristine gifts from nature’s vast repertoire that it had possibly reserved for us in advance.

MAN…. IT’S LIFE!!!! Every time you long for things to continue infinitely, you trip. Given that the day was fast approaching its evening, the children reminded us of our lunch. As a cascading effect of such a reminder, restlessness started creeping in the women and we moved towards the restaurant dumping our luggage with the attendants.

Surprisingly lunch was ready. In fact we had a few options in selecting our table as most were being occupied by those who could manage to reach before us. Apparently, as we could read from their unscratched outfit and untarnished countenance, some others had possibly been there for a longer duration. Whilst the non-vegetarian dishes were a delight for the elders, only a number of inspections of the buffet desk could reassure both the mothers of potential alternatives for the children.



THE LUNCH

As he had his lunch, RAI forced a dedicated concentration from his parents. Alarmingly spicy, inadequate butter in BUTTER-NUN etc. crept up vehemently as his parents tried to ensure that RAI did have what a ten-year-old grown-up-boy is supposed to have. On the other side of the table, SPRIHA was equally enterprising in ensuring that she too does not put her parents let-down by deserving a lesser attention. After hobbling from one to another dish, just when her mother was anticipating a respite she declared “I am through with my lunch!”, pushing her half complete “ALOO PARANTA” towards my end of the table. Her well deserved breather thus getting scuttled, that possibly she thought of using in selecting best possible combinations for her own lunch, quite expectedly she responded with a growl “NO! You have to finish this.” My feeble attempt to take her side “Let her be satisfied with what she had” fetched me with a fervent reply “If you can’t do anything good, then  please don’t preach what that would harm her”. Possibly only mothers can illustrate how a nondescript innocuous “ALOO PARANTA” gets correlated with anything injurious that could even harm an about-to-be-three-year-old girl!!!

Anyway, after that I did only one thing. Defying the cautions apropos a rather high cholesterol level that my doctor re-iterated only a couple of days back, I spotted the best mutton pieces that were yet to be consumed and did justice to the FRIED RICE that I had earlier contemplated eating with irrefutably dull PANEER MASALA. Though felt sorry for wasting my doctor’s valuable time, I tried to find solace in the thought that after-all I did pay for that consultation. As far as others go, unlike what that surfaced when the children were having their food, I do not recall having heard phrases like “….too much spicy! …relatively dull! …could have been much better etc.” However, those who frequent these incidents quite regularly can easily make out how the lunch was, from what followed. We unanimously decided to take rest in our rooms and meet again in the evening though that wasn’t too far. The sun had already embarked on a steep trail along the western horizon.



THE EVENING

Only remnants of fragmented dark clouds donning a rapidly evanescent bleeding sunset-sky were visible as we walked out of our cozy rooms. Having missed a possible delight, we comforted each other saying we still have the next evening with us. By the time we could stroll to the entrance, it was dark enough that led to enough ambivalence on whether or not to go beyond the limits of the resort. The electrified fence that ran along the perimeters of the resort did help us in reaching a consensus of not venturing outside its precincts. Instead we settled for exploring miscellaneous facilities that the resort had.

As we traced the route back towards our rooms, lights were already on. In an otherwise rustic ambience, the muted glows from ornamented lampshades could impart a different dimension to the ubiquitous serenity. Deciding to further rejuvenate ourselves with a refreshing evening tea, we moved towards the restaurant.

However we were stalled before we could reach the restaurant. The swimming pool abutting the restaurant had assumed a totally different dimension. Contrary to a rather undemanding identity that it exhibited in the afternoon, the lights attributed a look that was really astounding particularly in the backdrop of an absolutely all pervading darkness that had engulfed the surroundings. That both RAI and SPRIHA refused to move away from the side of the swimming pool was certainly justified. Besides its blue waters, the untrained naïve eyes remained glued to the pleasant sight of a handful young people having a casual game of pool volleyball. Whilst both the mothers stayed back to attend to their children, we fathers went ahead with our plan of having a pleasing tea. Only when we managed to ensure some snacks, did we achieve having others join us. However the children first ensured that we occupied a table that provided an unobtrusive view of the poolside.

The exchanges in the table started with sharing experiences of outings we have had earlier, but we males played a spoil-sport. As we slowly veered towards our professional past and present, as incidentally we graduated from the same college, the ladies decided to warm the poolside chairs instead. But soon we were asked to accompany them to enjoy the warmth of our cottage facilities that till then remained severely unexplored. We had to oblige, as the children reminded us of the incomplete LUDO game we put on hold during our journey.

Dinner again took us to the restaurant. We could manage to induce enough excitement of the jungle safari planned for the next morning that the children eschewed regular pranks sparing us usual blandishment. It allowed the parents to respond to the appealing ambience that the electric lanterns bestowed to the wooden open architecture of the restaurant and enjoy a delightful dinner. Thankfully the chef had dutifully attended to the menu the ladies had ordered for in the afternoon itself. Soon it was time for us to go to bed.

Were there some drum-beats outside? However the day’s journey had taken its toll since by then we were left with little energy to explore. Getting a sound sleep prevailed over other things.



JUNGLE SAFARI

Morning tea was served as was scheduled in the previous evening, and was even followed by an alarm call from the reception desk. The attendant duly reminded us of getting ourselves ready without delay since the safari vehicles have had already started coming to the resort. The most pathetic part of the process was however getting children ready at such an early hour for the second time in two consecutive days. But once they were ready, it was hard time for the parents to cope up with their pace as they raced towards the vehicle waiting for us in the parking space.

I chose the front seat alongside the driver. That was the ideal place for me to rein in my over-excited young daughter. It was more so because rest of us were too keen to stand on the rear side of the hoodless jeep. As soon as the guide jumped in, the jeep zoomed past the resort’s limits to supplement the legion speeding ahead. This time it was the other side of the resort that we got exposed to. Intermittently semi-permanent hutments adorned an otherwise agricultural landscape of the foothills. The speeding fleet was a stark contrast to an evidently easy paced life of the villages that we gradually started leaving behind. The indifference showed to the dashing cavalcade, possibly being regular witnesses, added distinctiveness to the euphoria of the romping tourists. It reminded me of the expressions, countenances overawed by the magnanimity, that one comes across along the promenades in front of prominent landmarks of our cities. It is that the settings just got changed with sheer wild non-infiltrated rustic nature replacing pompous structures typical to an artificial urban architecture.

As the mountain ranges started getting more and more visible, the initial plain terrain gave in to distinct rolling characteristics frequented with rain-fed seasonal rivulets at closer intervals. In an uninhabited landscape, only the shining pebbles therein the beds of those unnamed brooks stood as mute spectators to our ecstatic exchanges as the adjacent forests gradually got denser. With TEAK and SAL growingly outnumbering an otherwise bushy forest landscape, we finally reached the official entrance of the designated CORE FOREST.

Soon the queue started dispersing. Those who were ahead slowly faded into the woods. Then, when it was our turn the guide was reasonably smart in completing the formalities at the check post. Putting an agonizing wait we too thus embarked tracing those winding treacherous gullies.

The dawn was still relatively young then, and a restless breeze that greeted us into the heart of the forest did ensure that we continued with our warm clothes. As the forest cover got denser, the landscape too changed dramatically. Sunlight was gradually denied a free access allowing only segregated beams to precipitate. However as they eventually kissed the gravel tracts underneath, the emanated iridescent hues imparted a mystic glow to the green tunnel epitomizing the nature at its best!

Suddenly we were under the open sky as we reached a relatively wide stream that literally split the terrain’s forest cover. Being essentially a rain fed monsoon-river, only scattered pools of water were testimony to a recent rainfall. Erosion marks as evident on rock outcrops that could protrude out randomly from an otherwise pebbled river-bed were tangible signs of its potential ruthlessness. Hitherto shielded from us by the forest, the surrounding hills could thus surface in an unobstructed horizon which the width of the river facilitated viewing. We could easily appreciate the catchments that would unquestionably discharge enough instantaneous runoff yielding flash-floods whose fury was perceptible not only in the rugged river bed but also from the abutting forest profile. Whilst the privileged trees with hefty trunks could manage to withstand its ferocity, the rest caved in to the surging water currents. Though most definitely got washed away further downstream, skeletal vestiges of some devastated trunks were still visible at rather incongruous intervals. Probably that was Nature’s own way of depicting the veritable yet insurmountable SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

Instead of crossing the river, the jeep turned to trace the river bed moving towards its upstream. Search for footprints of big cats and pachyderms kept us busy as we treaded the wheel marks of those who were distantly ahead. Whist we debated on the sanctity of cat pugmarks identified to us by the guide, the jeep could reach a ridgeline. Tracing upstream along the riverside tract did fetch us enough length over a gentler slope that otherwise would have had been a rather steep climb. However soon after we made it to the ridge, we were presented with another mesmerizing splendor. The ridge abruptly terminated in an arroyo. Down under the ravine, the river RAMNAGANGA could be seen tracing a tortuous trail. Emerging suddenly, from as if nowhere, the meandering waters were equally quick to fade into the same wilderness. So too did a group of deer, vanishing in the woods as quickly as they surfaced.

Soon we were again moving through the tortuous gullies of the forest. In its wake the fast receding winter had by then left an indelible mark. Whilst dried fallen leaves have had carpeted the forest bed, the outnumbered still greener ones were fighting a pitched battle for surviving against a forceful thrust from its grey counterparts. The chirping birds of varied hues and sizes were possibly urging them to continue their valiant efforts. However most regaling was the sight of a dancing peacock, swirling with its plumes wide open. The colorful yet traditional fan enlivened the ambience that otherwise was bereft of the greenish liveliness one generally associates a forest with. Only when did we reach the fenced compound of the government forest rest-house did we realize the magnanimity of the enthralling experience that have had demanded such an uninterrupted rapt attention. 

The tea break, though short, was well utilised by the children. Monkeys, present in huge numbers, did provide enough entertainment with their usual acrobatics and prehensile tails. After replenishing our depleted stock of potato chips, nuts, water etc. we were on the last leg of our safari.

The rather open landscape in the immediate vicinity of the forest rest-house quickly succumbed to that of typical tropical woods. Dwarf bushes coexisted with those with stronger and taller trunks. Alerted by the noise of the approaching jeep, a group of black-bucks settled for a comfortable distance from the tracks. However one, with its forked horns accidentally stuck in identical branches of the bushes, failed to follow suit giving us the prized opportunity of viewing it from a rare close distance. As it finally managed to free itself and went on to join others, we too moved on. With yet again the forest changing its complexion we could see trunks getting slender with trees competing for attaining envious heights. The fanned-out leaf cover, though miniscule as it seemed to us from the underneath ground, did filter in enough daylight to render a magical serenity to the apparent void thus created by those astounding ascents. As we were sucking in all that such a riveting ambience presented us with, circling bees drew our attention to giant beehives glued to those slender tree trunks. Pointing out to the bees that protruded out of the beehives, I tried helping my daughter to correlate with those mentioned in one of her favorite stories. What followed was an animated rendering of what MONU, THE MONKEY did to the beehives. By the time she was through with her story, we reached the check post we started from. The morning was no more nascent then, but it have had already promised an absorbing beginning for the rest of the day.
© Copyright 2009 SPRIHA (subir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567231-Nature-at-its-best