*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568679-Assassins-are-us
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Other · Sci-fi · #1568679
part 1 probably
welcome to the year 1990. Sounds familiar doesn't it? The comforting knowledge of a date that's happened when you know all the things that happened. Nothing too special right? Well that would be true...if you were living in our dimension. These people however aren't.
Just to clue you in this is how things went down.
We all know that the infamous WWII started in 1939 and ended in 1945, Right? Well, in July 1941, Hitler was successfully assassinated.
Huh?
I know. In our world that didn't happen, this side of the slip stream, however, it did.
"What's the big deal?", you're thinkin', "Hitler is dead, chalk up one easy victory for the allies."
Right? Wrong!
It didn't take long to convince the Axis that Hitler was a martyr, and even less time to replace him with someone that was...how shall we say? More tactically literate. Things got worse. Way worse. I'd tell you how but...since their WWII lasted about...say thirty or forty years longer than ours, they have series devoted to the history of it. What I will let you in on was the following assassination of Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Edwin Barclay, Hirohito, and Joseph Stalin. Knockin' quite a few names off the list, ain't I? People came up after them and the war continued, and kept escalating until...
Guess what happened.
They got into a cold war! Of course by that point everyone had such a ridiculous amount of weapons on the go that it wasn't really a good idea to ever step outside your house.
Well, at this point some people got the bright idea of building a dome over their country. Can anyone say space age?
they built domes over every country. Or perhaps more accurately over what was left of the countries. Other domes contained the food producers and food was rationed out according to the number of people contained in every country, as determined by censuses conducted by the other ones. That is why pretty much every desert is now a green house, so later when you hear about waterfalls in the Sahara don't be too surprised.
Will you be surprised to learn the the war is still happening? Well sure there aren't any huge battles costing millions of lives, but there was still a war.
A war fought on the backs of assassins.
Every time a leader rises in the opposite country where they didn't feel that they were going to help negotiate peace, they had them bumped off. People inside the country did this too. Being a leader became a consistently fatal occupation. And being an Assassin became an extremely profitable one.


"Are you sure about this one?"
Grey nodded, "positive, though I can't help but feel that there was some personal agenda for the directors picking it."
"Do we even know what it's going to be?"
Grey leaned back on the bench, "Probably, but even I'm not privy to that information."
His companion shook his head, "they'll give you information on the parents and family that's comprehensive enough for you to tell what their physical and mental capacity is likely to be and they don't tell you what gender we're working with."
"You've been thinking too much."
"The one truly fatal occupation. How much longer do we have to wait?"
"Do you want to walk in on a birth?"
"Would you like me to go get us something to drink?"
"No, we're on duty, this is no time for us to be indulging in pleasures."
"This coming from the man that just last week..."
An irritating beeping noise proceeded to erupt from Grey's watch. Grey smiled as he turned it off. "Get your poker face on, Boy, it's show time."

If the mother noticed the two men in her room, she didn't call any attention to them she was too engrossed by the child in her arms.
"Excuse me madam, my name is Greyson Haldet, I am a representative of the Aunt Audry Uplift society, or A.A.U. if you prefer.
“Thank you but I don’t prefer anything. I’ve heard that the A.A.U. repeatedly sends their charges overseas and has them involved in all sorts of sketchy activity.”
Grey’s eyebrows went up slightly, “I was unaware that such a vicious rumour existed,” He turned to the younger man beside him, “Please make a note about having this investigated to the fullest.” He turned back to the mother, “I can assure you that there is no basis for this representation, Myself and the boy here were both raised with the help of the A.A.U. and have never been involved in anything ’sketchy’. It is simply a program that attempts to give children a better start in life through financial and program aids. You’re child will go to school, have three meals a day, be involved in character building courses and have an opportunity for a stable job when they are old enough for it. Is that so bad?”
“And what do I have to do to get this service?” The mother said this begrudgingly but she couldn’t hide her interest.
© Copyright 2009 Ey Stargazer (unicorn_scribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568679-Assassins-are-us