*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569274-Theolyn--the-Shadow-Creature
Rated: E · Short Story · Mythology · #1569274
Original Myth I Created For English Class
Theolyn & The Shadow Creature



Long ago, there was a time when the people of a small northern village feared to leave their houses once the sun went down. They did not fear the night, but rather what lurked in the darkness. A creature so dark and terrifying, even the bravest dare not challenge it. It was a creature of the night and shadows; a Shadow Creature.

For generations the Shadow Creatures had terrorized the village, appearing to its victims in the form of what they feared the most. The village population was slowly falling as, one by one, the Shadow Creature appeared and consumed them in the night. People were getting worried, it seemed nothing could be done to stop the monster.

Until one day, during a gathering of the remaining people in the village, an elder cried out: “Will no one save us from this nightmare!?”

“I will.” Came a quiet voice. The people of the village turned to look at the speaker at the back of the crowd. “I will face the creature of shadows.” The young man said boldly.

“But Theolyn,” another said, “how do you expect to fell a creature that not even the bravest of our people could defeat?”

“I do not know.” Theolyn replied. “But I can try, for the people of my village.” He then turned to the leader of the village. “May I?”

Their leader stared at Theolyn for a small moment, then closed his eyes, sighed and announced, “It seems as if we have no other choice. If nothing is done, then we may all perish. You may do as you wish.”

Silence fell over the crowd. “You will leave at nightfall.” The leader concluded as Theolyn bowed respectively and left. “If you return home by dawn, you will be a hero!”



Darkness fell quickly that night. Theolyn left the village armed with only a wooden bow and a torch to light his way. Deeper into the forest he ventured, deeper into the darkness.

Theolyn had not travelled far when he heard the sound of something else moving in the forest. He paused and readied his bow, but nothing appeared. Theolyn continued, unaware that he was being followed by shadows.

The night dragged on, and Theolyn had not seen the Shadow Creature, so he paused to rest. Sounds of the dark forest filled his ears, and his eyes began to close, when he saw the shadows of the trees lengthen and begin to take form.

Theolyn jumped up as the creature emerged from the shadows in a mist like black fire. There was nothing Theolyn feared more than the Shadow Creature itself, so it appeared to him in its true form. It hissed, baring its black teeth. Theolyn could smell its acid breath.

While Theolyn was momentarily stunned by its sudden appearance, the creature lunged, swinging its claws at the boy. Theolyn jumped to the ground at the last moment and shot an arrow. To his surprise, the arrow went though the creature’s body, as if it were made of mist.

The great creature roared, spreading its razor-sharp wings. It then looked at Theolyn, red eyes gleaming, and the battle continued.

The creature repeatedly tried to catch Theolyn in its claws, but Theolyn was too quick and escaped every time. Theolyn tried to harm the Shadow Creature in return, but nothing he did seemed to cause it pain. Each arrow he shot passed through the creature without leaving a wound.

For hours they fought, one never harming the other. But Theolyn was beginning to lose energy, his movements were not as quick and his mind was fuzzy. He feared he was doomed like all of the others, then he saw a light on the horizon.

The Shadow Creature was too occupied with Theolyn to notice the growing light. By the time it was aware, the sun was already in the sky, spreading its wondrous light. The Shadow Creature backed away from Theolyn, trying to escape the light, its only enemy. It screeched loud, terrible noises of pain as the rays of light touched its misty skin and it faded into nothingness.

Theolyn could not believe his eyes, the Shadow Creature was defeated! In the place where it once stood, there was a single black tooth, which Theolyn took as proof that he had defeated the monster.

Upon returning back to the village, news spread fast of his achievements and he was hailed as a hero. From that day on, the people of the village no longer feared the darkness of the night.

© Copyright 2009 Krystxn * WorkingOnStargazer ! (krystxn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569274-Theolyn--the-Shadow-Creature