*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570341-Chasing-Noises-Chapter-one
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sacred
Rated: E · Novel · Sci-fi · #1570341
George's life is turned upside down after a new doctor comes to town.
Chapter one



about four years ago my sister Laura, started acting out of character. She was convinced something was out to get her.
She said she heard strange noises, "The beasts are after me!" She screamed when the doctors took her away.
Schizophrenia is what they called it. I took it hard my sister was my whole world and then she was suddenly gone.
Laura was gone I only got to see her once a month. Even then it was like talking to a zombie.
She would cry and sob "The noises won't go! Take them away please!" She screamed the first time I visited her. She had to be tranquilized.
I wanted to scream at them "No, she doesn't belong here! She needs to be with me. She's not crazy." After that had happened I didn't go and see her for another two months.
I didn't want to see the empty shell that was once my sister. Doctor Spaniel's changed all that, I think she might be able to go home soon. . All the doctors are skeptical, after all they don't think that Schizophrenia can be cured.
My sister has changed that. She's all better and I know it.

I held my sisters hand and for the first time in years, she looked like herself.
She was happy. It all started when Dr. Spaniel started at the hospital. When she saw him for the first time, she smiled. Something I hadn't seen her do in years.
Our family was so happy to hear that she was getting better.
She was actually starting to draw again. Before she got sick her dream was to become an artist.
The first time I had seen her draw again was in the garden, she drew a picture of some Lillie's.

For the first time in years I wanted to cry tears of joy.
She doesn't hear the noises anymore, I don't know what Dr. Spaniel did, but nothing I could ever do or say could repay him.
"Hey, George wake up!" my sister yelled in my ear.
"I wasn't asleep, or at least I wasn't a minute ago," I rubbed my eyes and yawned.
"Shouldn't you be at school George?" She asked. "Didn't I tell you?" I leaned closer to her and whispered "I'm hiding."
She laughed. "Get to school or I'll tell Dad."
"Do I hear a brother sister fight?" Asked Dr. Spaniel appearing out of nowhere. He had a habit of doing that.
"Do, you have to do that?" I frowned.
"Do, what?" He said scratching his head. Being a smart ass.
"You know what I mean."
He ruffled my hair. "You know I'm only joking Georgie." He knows I hate it when he calls me that.
"You know, I have a duck hunting trip coming up. I need someone to bring the ducks I shoot back to me."
He tutted and rolled his eyes. "Come on. Can't you do better than that?"
My sister frowned "School! George now."
That was my sister once she said something you listen to her. I think she had that effect on everyone.
And so I marched off to school. Well I skipped and whistled the whole way there, and lots of people were staring at me questioning my sanity. But what do I care my sister was better and soon to be coming home.

It was the start of double science when I got to school. I walked reeeally slooowly to my classroom.
"YOUR LATE, PROWLER!" screamed my science teacher Mr. Jordan right in my ear.
He is the reason I hate my science lessons, he screams too loud. Other that he's a great guy, but do one thing wrong and your deaf for a week.
"Sorry, sir." I mumbled and rubbed my sore ears.
"Much better Prowler. Don't make a habit of it," he said nodding.
I sat next to my friend Tom Jordan. Lots of people try and say that Mr. Jordan and Tom are related, but their not.
I waved at him, but he was two engrossed in his animal biology book to take any notice.
Nothing could stop him from reading not even Mr. Jordan screaming at him. Impenetrable concentration is what you'd call it.
I took out my science books and got down to business. When the lesson was over Tom finally noticed that I existed. "So. how's your sister then?" He asked.
"She's doing great. Better than ever infact," I said.
"That's good. So, this Spaniel guy is responsible?" He raised his eyebrow.
"Yeah as soon as he turns up she started to become herself again,"
He cleared his books of the table and put them in his bag. "George I think this is great and all, but I don't think that she's completely better," he looked me in the eyes, "Schizophrenia can't be cured."
I clenched my fists "Tom, she's getting better. She is getting better."
I put my books back as well and left the classroom. Tom doesn't know anything, if you don't believe something can happen it won't happen.
So for my sister's sake I believe she's getting better. It's not just some fluke, she is getting well again.
From highs to lows, I guess thats how this day is going anyway. I feel pretty crappy.

I skipped out on the rest of school I wasn't feeling up to it. So I just headed on home.
I bumped into Kaily on my home. She was my next door neighbor and long time friend.
She glance at my face "George, what's wrong?" She asked sounding concerned.
"Oh it's nothing," I lied. And she saw right through me. "Tell me what's wrong?"
"Tom says he doesn't think my sisters can be cured."
"Listen you've got to stay hopeful. Even if she doesn't get cured the least you could hope for is she gets to go back home to you."
"Thanks Kaily."
"Why aren't you in school George?"
"I could ask you the same thing."
She laughed and said goodbye. I was just about to open my frontdoor when my Dad went through it.
"George why are you home?" He asked me.
I gave him my most defiant look "I just don't feel like going today."
"I just don't want to deal with you. I'm going to visit Laura, if you want to get in the house tough luck." He locked the door behind him and walked off.
Little does he know my bedroom window is open or should be if he hasn't shut it.
It was shut. My Dad had won this round. But I'll have my way someday.
When I thought things couldn't get any worse I could hear thunder. And then rain started coming down in sheets.
Just my luck. How am I gonna stay dry now? I hate my Dad.
© Copyright 2009 Sacred (phobia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570341-Chasing-Noises-Chapter-one