*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570572-Yvettes-Box
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1570572
For Young Stars Shine Your Light Contest
She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled. It was finally time, and the young girl took a few steps toward the ancient ruined building, her long, blond hair blowing gently in the wind. Her mother and father would never yell at her again for telling stories, that was for sure. "That's it, take us inside Yvette," the voice inside the box said.

Yvette had found the box one day at the park after having run away from her father. It was of simple design, but with intricate designs and ribbons all over it like a birthday present. As soon as she had picked it up, she knew something wonderful was inside, especially when it began to speak to her in a smooth, graceful tone. Yvette couldn't tell if the voice belonged to a man or a woman, but somehow knew that it would take her away from all the pain.

She walked through the arcing entrance and made her way up the old stone stairs. She felt the box begin to buzz and saw it glow slightly and she giggled. The voice inside must surely be excited. "Turn left Yvette," the voice quivered with excitement as Yvette obeyed. Yvette's forest green eyes widened as a massive glowing circle appeared on the floor. "Step into the center now," the voice soothed her and she stepped forward. She opened the box and a great white light burst forth like the flames of the sun. Yvette screamed and fell to the floor.

When she awoke, Yvette realized that she was still in the ruin. Disappointed, she rose from the ground and began to walk toward the entrance again, her eyes welling at the thought of having to face her father. Already her face began to flush as she imagined the first falling strike.... She turned her gaze forward and saw, standing in the doorway, a tall young woman holding a bow. She looked around and saw an entire forest where once there was only a small plot of green grass. She looked at the smiling face of the young woman and backed away slightly, scared.

"Fear me not Yvette, I am a friend," it was the voice! Free at last, the voice had been given shape. It had blond hair which flowed down to its back and bright blue eyes with no pupils, and it now spoke with feminine voice that bore a cheerful song. She wore a green shirt with no sleeves and long leather pants with knee-high brown boots. Around her neck was a pendant made of amber. Yvette's own dress bore a stark contrast to the voice's, as Yvette wore black shoes, jeans, and a black shirt with Hello Kitty embroidered on the front. The woman bowed on one knee and smiled, taking Yvette in her arms, "I am Elera, and it is so nice to finally meet you Yvette."

Yvette smiled and nodded at the woman, whose eyes suddenly turned sad. “Can you speak Yvette?” Elera inquired. Yvette shook her head, suddenly wondering how Elera had figured out her name when she couldn’t speak to the box. Elera nodded and mused, “I must have heard your thoughts, or the box translated your Spiritual Melody to me.”

Suddenly, Elera froze. She turned her head slightly and put an arrow to her bow. Looking at Yvette seriously, she whispered hurriedly, “You must come with me, I am hunted. We have to get back to my land.” Yvette nodded in understanding and Elera turned and ran through the door, Yvette trying desperately to keep up. Elera turned back, waiting for Yvette to catch up, and took a knee. Lifting her bow, she loosed an arrow into the trees. Yvette continued running as she heard Elera’s footsteps rush up behind her. With a graceful scoop, Elera lifted Yvette into her arms and continued running.

After a few hours, Elera stopped and let Yvette down, gasping for breath. Yvette looked down at the ground, guilty that she had been a burden on this woman. “I believe we are safe now,” panted Elera. “It shouldn’t be too long before we reach the border between this land and mine.” Yvette looked up into Elera’s eyes fearfully. Elera sat on the ground beside Yvette. “I’m so sorry to have dragged you into this Yvettte. Once we get to my home, I will have the best magicians I can find get you back home,” Elera vowed. Yvette shook her head. As fearful as she was, she trusted Elera and feared her fate at home more. “Don’t worry, Yvette,” Elera cooed, “Are you ready to go?” Yvette nodded and began walking alongside her new-found friend. Reaching into her pocket, Yvette found the box and squeezed it for good luck.



Words: 793
© Copyright 2009 Pato Loco (fenrirs_life at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570572-Yvettes-Box