*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571687-Pollys-Secret
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1571687
"Today is the tomorrow that worried you yesterday......and all is well."
Published by Missy Estes
*Note* January, 2011 in Long Story Short


"Oh, God, I can't believe I'm pregnant! Len will be so excited. Heck, I'm excited." Polly laughed. Her heart was beating like an Amazon village drum warning of intruders. She laughed again and wondered what the other drivers thought of her behavior. "I'm pregnant," she yelled at the other cars at the stoplight. She and Len had given up trying to have a child. They had worked with doctors and techniques for seven years and all to no avail.

Pulling into the garage she cautioned herself to calm down. She wanted to surprise Len, but she also wanted to play him like a clarinet for a bit.

"Len? I'm home." She pushed open the door to the kitchen and put her purse, keys and a shopping bag on the kitchen bar.

"I'm in the den, Polly. Where have you been? I was beginning to worry."

Entering the den Polly shrugged off her sweater and straightened the cross-stitched saying on the wall, Hope Springs Eternal. "I had a doctor's appointment." She crossed to the stereo and quickly pulled out several records to play. "I thought I had mentioned it."

Isn't She Lovely began to play. "You know you didn't mention it. I thought we had agreed to quit worrying about having our own baby and be happy."

She plopped down on the coach beside her husband and kicked off her shoes. "I just went to see Dr. Henry. And yes, I have accepted the situation concerning a child, Len. I can honestly say that it just isn't an issue now."

He put an arm around her and pulled her to him. "Promise?" She nodded. "I'm glad, Sweetie. I can't stand to see your disappointment any more. You….we have given it our best. We've tried every trick in the book." He tapped her on her nose--their own language for I love you.

"Yep, we've tried a few hundred tricks or so." She grabbed his beard and pulled his lips down to hers. "We just don't know where life will lead us, do we?" Another record fell to the turntable. Beautiful Boy by John Lennon filled the room like gentle hands stroking a kitten.

"Honestly, Hon, haven't you enjoyed the last four months of having sex without the pressure of where and when and how? Hasn't our life been okay these past few months?"

"Life is good. In fact, I think it's amazing!" Polly fixed a button on his shirt that was unfastened. "Marriage to you is dang good, I have to admit. You were wonderful during all the trying to have a baby thing, and I am so thankful to have you."

"Don't get too mushy on me or I'll think you've done something you need to confess to your dear old husband." He shot her a playful grimace.

Click….Jenny Rebecca nine days old, how do you like…

"So, you decided to check out the flu you had last week? What did Doc Henry say about it?"

"He didn't think it was the flu…..By the way I think we should redecorate our extra bedroom." Polly got up and walked over to turn on a light. She hid her brilliant smile by turning her back on Len and tried to regain her composure.

"Oh, no….not again!" Len held his crossed arms up as if to ward off an invisible vampire. "Please, Lord, save me from my decorating maven."

"That's not funny, Leonard Robert Mayno!" Polly picked up the red throw pillow and hoisted it at her laughing husband.

"I think fixing a baby's room before we were pregnant was a bit premature. Perhaps it's time to find a new use for that room. I know it must hurt when you walk by. What would you like? How about a hobby room?" Bob Carlisle began singing Butterfly Kisses.

"Yes, that's it…..a hobby room. I can think of lots to do to keep us busy for the next twenty-odd years.. Let's change the colors from pink and blue to yellow and green!"

"That's my girl! How about going to the Crab Shack for dinner to celebrate?"

"Celebrate? What are we celebrating……..a home decoration project?" Polly looked askance at her husband as she dodged the pillow he threw at her.

"I feel like celebrating. Do we have to have a reason?"

"No, Sweetheart, we don't need any reason at all." She turned to run up the stairs and to shower. She thought about how she would tell Len her news. Then, she had a thought. When he orders our drinks to night, I'll just tell him that I don't want one because pregnant ladies aren't allowed to drink alcohol! I can't wait!.

(words: 735)
© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571687-Pollys-Secret