*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571763-Life-after-death
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1571763
A short story of a 17 year old girl who dies in a car accident told from her perspective.
It was prom when it happened, no-one could have seen it coming, the drunk driver, Brad loosing control of the wheel, that god awful sound of metal colliding, I knew then I wouldn't survive... maybe if the seat belt hadn't snapped I would still be alive... But the material was feeble, nothing could be done. I was dead long before I went flying through the wind-shield anyways, my heart simply stopped beating from shock.
I screamed, shouted for help still in my death seat, but no-one heard me, how could they, my real body was lying in a mangled heap not three yards from the wreckage, Brad still next to me, his tux covered in blood, the air bag had protected him in the collision, I hate knowing that when he wakes up he'll see nothing but an empty passenger seat and a broken wind-shield, then it'll click in his mind what happened, thus the grief begins.

I was right. I could see the tears rolling down his cheeks as his vision moved to my body, I heard his scream, felt the remains of the car shake as he punched the steering wheel l. What I wouldn't give to be able to hold him, tell him I'm still here. Oh how I wish we hadn't left so early. We should have stayed with the others, he said he was going to take me some where special, now I'll never know what he had in store...
Now looking upon the wreckage I can see the full extent of the damage, the car... well it doesn't even look like a car any more, just a heap of metal. It hadn't taken long for the emergency services to arrive and do their jobs. Oh Brad, my dearest Brad, did he know how much I loved him? He's in such a state, he knows I'm dead, just refusing for it to be real.

Strange experience, seeing your own body being placed into a coroners bag, tears long threatening my eyes finally broke free. This was no dream, no horrific nightmare I'd wake up from any second, this was real, I'm now nothing but a ghost, an invisible onlooker for the rest of eternity.

Weeks had passed, didn't really feel like it, but watching everyone in mourning broke my heart, the tears that don't stop coming. My family, completely torn apart, my mother barely speaking to anyone, spending most her time studying pictures of me, my brother and sister sticking by each other, reminiscing. My father, the same as my mother... Brad, distraught with grief, my friends all holding an air of sorrow, like my siblings they remember the past, the good times... but the others know that it doesn't matter what is said, the initial pain shall never fade.
Oh how I want to scream, make them hear me! Tell them I'm not gone! I never really left...
Today is my funeral, never expected for so many to show up, so much black, so many tears, so much pain in one place. The closed oak coffin holds my remains, my tattered, scar covered corpse. My sister makes her speech, saying how wonderful I was, an angel, I never deserved to die... Someone touched me there an then, I didn't have to see the glow to know it was there, the angel spoke in such a tender voice, so welcoming, so true. They remained with me through the whole ceremony, watched with me as the wood I lay in was lowered in the dirt.
"Come it's time." The voice told me.
"Time for what?" I already knew. I could feel the wings on my back.
"Oh Brad I love you but I must leave. Heaven awaits. Forget me not, I'll wait for you forever."
The angel touches my shoulder again, his golden curls moved with the breeze, suddenly faced with a white light before us I knew what was to be done. His hand remained fixed on my shoulder as we walked to the portal leading to my new home.
I say goodbye to this world... It was now or never.
© Copyright 2009 DarkAngel (darkangel08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571763-Life-after-death