*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573487-Dawn-of-a-new-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1573487
The last stand, of the glorious 301st Alpha company
The Dawn of a New Day

The newly risen sun sent shivers down our spines. It was dawn once again, a dawn to mark the end. The night retreats from the sun. Light beating back the darkness. We would fall like the night to the sun at dawn, except we will not rise once more like the night. We shall remain fallen our service to our emperor and this earth complete.

The rays of light glistened of the steel of the Shin Guto at my waist, a gift from our lord to all officers in the army. I had cherished this gift for all my life, it was a work of art. Capturing the rays of the newly born sun and reflecting its magnificence, that those who stared directly at it would be blinded.

An unusual calm came over me as the morning breeze swept over our position. It was the calm of a man who knew he would be dead. I did not fear death anymore and I was proud to be granted the honour to fight and die here with my men for the emperor. There was no way we would survive, no hope of a timely saviour. Nothing would save us and we knew it. But it did not cause us unrest but put us at peace. We knew that our final chance to face our foe, our ultimate sacrifice was upon us, in the name of our emperor. I did not pray to be somewhere else, only that my men could live on. I would die a thousand times to let them live. But it was not so they would die here today. It brought a tear to my eye of how proud and honoured I was to be granted command of such fine men.

They did not fear the oncoming battle, but waited patiently for my command. To strike once more at the enemy. They were hardened warriors, who without hesitation would lay down their lives for the emperor, as would I.

I gave the order and then men unsheathed their bayonets, attaching them gracefully to their weapons. A fluid movement it was to these men, the hours upon hours of training honing these men into the fine warriors they were. It was second nature to them.

I looked once more upon the faces of my men, I did not see fear but eagerness, eagerness to fight the enemy one last time.

“Men, brothers. I stand before you as proud as I can be. This is our last stand against the relentless enemy, the emperor watches over us as we fight here one last time. I am honoured to have served with you and am proud to fight along side you today. To die with you will be the greatest honour I have ever received and I thank you for letting me lead you.”

I drew my sword from the sheath, scattering shards of light. Its blade slicing the very air. Raising my sword above my head. “Charge”. We raced down the hill, the enemy arrayed before us in a sea of men. An unending sea.

The last stand of the 301st Alpha company
© Copyright 2009 Wartime (wartime at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573487-Dawn-of-a-new-Day