*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573800-Internet-Ted
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1573800
A cautionary tale of internet dating: What could be worse than a madman?
Ellen followed the maître d to the table.  She was early and nervous.

"Madam, someone will be right with you," he said in a French accent, pulling out a chair for her.

Ellen ordered a white wine, hoping it would relax her.  After six months of chatting online, she was finally going to meet Ted.  All of her friends cautioned her against it.

"He could be a madman," Sheryl, her best friend warned, "or worse.....ugly!"

Ellen and Ted had decided against trading pictures or talking on the phone.  They agreed they were both adults and would meet in person.  Ted chose the restaurant.  Ellen was impressed at how fancy and romantic it was.  She was relieved she had dressed appropriately.  Ever since her divorce, Ellen had not been out on a date.  She was out of practice, and by her own account, out of shape.  Against her better judgment, Ellen wanted to meet Ted.  Their chats lasted hours.  He was a computer programmer who loved opera.  Ellen played classical piano since childhood and rarely found people who actually had an appreciation for classical music. 

Ellen finished her glass of wine.  She looked at her watch.  It was eight-ten.  The dinner reservations were for eight o' clock.  She quickly ordered another glass.  Her nerves started to get the better of her.

Maybe he's not coming.  Maybe Sheryl was right, men don't just meet women online for no reason.  Maybe he was having second thoughts and worried that she was unattractive. 

These thoughts swirled around in Ellen's head for the next ten minutes, until she saw the maître d walking to her table.  There was a man behind him, but Ellen couldn't see his face.

"Sir, your table." The maître d moved aside, revealing Ted to Ellen.

"Ted?"  Ellen asked in disbelief.  He was gorgeous.  His dark hair and strong features were reminiscent of Gregory Peck in Spellbound.

"E-e-e-llen!  S-s-so  n-nice  t-t-to meet you."

Ellen wiped the bit of spit from her cheek.  It was going to be a long evening.

© Copyright 2009 anastasia beyverhausen (moisie75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573800-Internet-Ted