*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1577353-An-analysis-of-Writing-methods
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ravi
Rated: E · Article · Self Help · #1577353
This article is a discussion on methods of effective writing under various situations..
Writing is the medium which gives a visible shape, direction and the power of communication to our thoughts. Another means of giving form to thoughts is speech. Speech is a medium which can only be heard and unless captured in an electronic recording device, spoken words disappear into oblivion irretrievably. But writing preserves our thoughts forever for the posterity to read

Writing methods :

The writing methods should have certain basic characteristics.

1. Accuracy- Accuracy of description is very important. This will convey the right information to the readers with out misguiding them.

2. Precision.- The chosen words should be precise to be able to communicate the correct meaning to the readers.This will eliminate verbosity and come straight to the point.

3. Relevance- The words should pertain to the subject on hand and not digress into unrelated directions.This will deliver the intended purpose of the communication and facilitate the readers to understand correctly what is being communicated

4. Legibility - This will apply in case of hand written communications.The writing should be clearly readable to be understandable.

5. Purpose.- The words chosen in writing should suit the purpose of the communication.

There are several types of communications which need to be done in our lives.Some of them are listed below :

Personal communications - Letters to family members, friends and relatives.

Official communications - In the work environment in our jobs, various memos, reports, instructions, Minutes of Meetings, Circulars and so on.

Legal Communications - These are in the Judiciary and Legal contexts, Contracts and Purchase Orders and so on.

Each type of communication has certain social guidelines, formalities and protocols.

For each type of communication, awareness of the right choice of words to use is very important to avoid any type of misunderstanding or ambiguity. .


Let us examine the types of communications listed above and briefly analyze what would be the normally acceptable choice of words in each case.

Personal communications are the ones without any formal protocols or language restrictions.In these communications we will be saying the feelings of our heart to persons who are well known to us and who know us well. Courtesy,care, love and affection are the only ones which are communicated. Care should be taken to avoid words which will hurt the feelings of the readers. Words of anger, blame, abuse, slang and hurting nature are to be strictly avoided. Offensive language is to be totally avoided.Words of concern and endearment are most suitable and effective here in maintaining and building up relationships with our  family, friends and relatives.


Official Communications are usually as per  formats and protocols established by the Managements.Here, words of endearment are conspicuous by their absence.Clarity and direction are more important here to communicate instructions, report work done and record discussions of official meetings.


Legal Communications are used for determination of the terms and conditions of Jobs, Contracts, Purchase Orders and Agreements. Here , the words should be chosen  to communicate the terms of reference clearly to the Agencies involved so that there is no ambiguity and dispute during the execution  of the jobs.These communications should be comprehensive and cover all the aspects of the work to be executed and the terms and conditions of payment, bonus , penalty and so on.


The main requirement of effective writing is the awareness of what type of words to use for what type of communication.

My article is an attempt to give some awareness to the readers on the various types of communications and the most suitable type of words to be used in each case.
© Copyright 2009 ravi (ravi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1577353-An-analysis-of-Writing-methods