*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1577946-The-Legend-of-X--the-Friend
by Chris
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1577946
To those whom we owe our lives chapter 3, please critique
"Wait, you're going to tell me that X's story starts in Alaska. And that he's a Christian" Interrupted Amos





When X woke up he couldn’t tell if he hand slept for hours or days, as he tried to stand up a burning sensation ran down his back. He numbly let his fingers crawls over the scars “scars!” X thought “how long have I been out” X said finding his voice again after what felt like ages, though it was not what he had remembered. What was once the youthful voice of a ten year old boy hand been replaced by graveled and painful cough.

“well look who finally woke up, welcome back to the world of the living boy-o” the voice came from his left the same cocky kid from before. “Hey you alright” called a clear calm voice to his right, “uhhh” X managed to grown which was shortly after followed by a howling laugh from his right “oh he’s wonderful can’t you tell W, fit as fiddle” he cackled. “shut up Y” replied W with a little heat in his voice, who then turned his attention back to X “Hey my name is Welks, you’ve bee out for about a week. Nurses have been treating our cuts, they made sure that each one scared and rose up.” “Where on Earth am I and why the hell does my back feel like it’s on fire’ asked X with Y chuckling in the background.

Before Welks had a chance to reply the steel door creaked open flooding the room with light, once again the fat man stepped into the room followed by ten very large, very imposing men wearing black fatigues and carrying batons. Now carrying the attention of every one around him the fat mans voice boomed in the large room “well now that the infirmary has informed me that your all awake we can get started. You may refer to me as Lt. Colonel Tarleton, now gentlemen your first task laughably simple all you have to do is leave this room and you will be given food shelter and medical care if you need it, now if there aren’t any more questions I’ll be leaving.”

“hey Lt Colonel I have a question” Y voice called out with mock affection “yes ma boy” replied Tarleton “can you have one of the guards tighten my chains, there rubbing the skin off my wrists sir” asked Y his voice sounding like a small child “Jones take care of that will” returned Tarleton. The large guard grunted pulled out a key from his pocket walked over and bent down to adjust Y’s chains. “Owww!” yelled Jones “the little bitter head butted me” he wailed rubbing the crown of his head, the guards behind him broke out into a chorus of laughter.

Jones took out his baton and walloped Y on the back of his head, then headed back to the rest of the guards and Tarleton who were already leaving through the steel door, howling all the way. The door shut behind him and Y sat up from the floor, “you have got to be the most idiotic person I’ve ever met, do enjoy pain” asked Welks? “Sure, why not if it gets me what I want” replied Y, “what is that supposed to mean” asked Welks? “Idiot guard dropped after I hit him” replied Y accompanied by the sound of chains falling to the floor “see you gits later” laughed Y as he walked out the steel door.

“I can’t believe that actually worked” stated Welks completely astonished, “hey X, what were you saying earlier” asked Welks? “where are we and what’s going on” asked X “and what is my name” he added on. “you don’t remember your name, do you remember anything” asked Welks, “not really” replied X. “Alright” breathed Welks regaining his composure “we are in the royal colony of Georgia, specifically Kings Bay navel fort, and it’s surrounding town, any of this ringing a bell” asked Welks?

X just shook his head, Welks then started again “O.k., you just heard them say that were supposed to escape this room as some part of training, if you can’t remember earlier they Tarleton said he wanted to make into the perfect soldiers so I’m guessing that has something to do with this.” X stared at Welks for a minute as if trying to recall the events ”that I do remember and that one man cutting my back up, but how I got here and where I came from, I have no idea, do you know my name” X asked still sounding confused? Welks replied “Your real name, I haven’t the foggiest clue, but I guess X is the closest thing you have to one know”

X pondered the thought for a moment, why was this so blurry, why can’t he remember and what does he do now. “well I guess we have to figure a way out of here” X said standing up, he started walking straight for the door but only made it about ten feet. “why on earth did they give us such long chains” X thought to himself.

Welks got up and did the same thing, when he got to the end of his chains he used his foot to draw a line on the dusty floor he then walked about three feet and made another mark and the made his way back and sat on the floor. “ What are you doing….” “quiet!” Welks interrupted X and so X followed him back and sat on the floor. About an hour later a Guard came in to check on the occupants, he circle the room looking over the every one he stopped for second and looked at X “what’s wrong with him” the guard said pointing at Welks who was laying on the floor clutching his chest and starting to moan. X shrugged his shoulders, he hadn’t noticed Welks before and had no idea what was going on. X watched the guard pass the first line Welks drew and as he did Welks let out a loud moan and rolled onto his stomach facing the guard. Just as the guard stepped over the second line Welks sprang up and tackled the feet of the guard toppling him over, in a flash Welks had gathered his chains pulled them tight against the guards neck. He held one end of the chain tight in his had and laid the second under his foot as to free his left hand. As the guard struggled for air and squirmed on the floor Welks plunged hi free hand into the guards pocket retrieving a small key which he used to undue the shackles around his wrist.

The guard had fallen limp under the chains, as he did Welks released them and tossed X the Key, X proceeded to release himself. “ you coming” asked Welks as he walked to the door, X just stared at the body of the Guard, he couldn’t tell at first then he saw it. The guards chest slowly rose and fell, X was overjoyed to know that the guard was alive though he couldn’t understand why. He then followed Welks out of the room.

When they exited the room they were greeted by the guard they recognized as Jones “well boys congratulations on getting out, the mess hall is down the corridor to your left, the Infirmary is opposite to it, and your living quarters are at the end of the hall, once you get there you’ll have some one to direct you further” Jones spoke almost as if he were happy to see them. “thanks” X and Welks replied in unison then continued to walk down the hall. They walked silently until they reached the end of the hall with three doors connected to it, the one on the left read “Infirmary”, the one on the right read “Mess Hall”, and finally they looked the Center door which read “Living Quarters.”

As they walked into there new quarters they were greeted by a smiling young blond woman. “Welcome to your new home” she told the in a cheerful tone “what are yall’s designations” she asked? “I’m X and this is wel… I mean W” X replied “hey yall get to bunk together what luck, you’ll also be staying with the young man designated Y and Z when he arrives, you‘ll be on the very last room on the right” Her cheerful tone faltered as if she had tasted something sour when she said Y’s name but otherwise remained polite.

As they walked to there room Welks let out a laugh “guess Y didn’t impress her either ” he said still chuckling to himself, and for the first time sense this ordeal had begun X smiled.

© Copyright 2009 Chris (fireandfaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1577946-The-Legend-of-X--the-Friend