*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1578192-The-Legend-of-X--the-Team
by Chris
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1578192
To forge a bond and call you brother Chapter 4, please critique
Over the next few days the kids slowly filed out of the room using their own unique talents to escape. Welks, X, Y, and the newest member of the group Z, who arrived within the hour that X and Welks had spent the next few days lounging in there quarters. While Welks and Y argued and recanted stories of there previous adventures and how they came to rest here, Z remained eerily quiet only speaking when spoken to. X spent most of his time going over the blurry visions and strange voices from his dreams.

“Hey X” Y called to X from the top bunk of there beds “you got any interesting stories” rolling over onto his back X quickly replied “would you believe I’m a sailor.” With a quick laugh Y replied “sure why not, where did you sail to” still chuckling to himself “I have no idea, but I can pull a full size ship into port” replied X almost laughing at himself. Now besides himself with laughter “you best be careful your eyes are turning brown” retorted Y why between giggles “that does sound a bit far-fetched X” stated Welks entering the conversation. “I don’t know how I know, I just know o.k.” replied X.

Y finally getting his giggling fits under control spoke “why don’t you tell me how you gits got out of that little slice of heaven? You remember that right?” X glanced over at Welks and Welks did the same to him. “I told him a joke” stated Welks flatly still lying on his back staring at the wall. “Oh I get it, you put him to sleep with your horrible jokes and stole his key, Brilliant!” a laugh escaped X’s throat and Welks glared back at him.

Z still laying on his side facing the wall spoke to the group “W strangled him with his chains and then took the key from his pocket” his voice was emotionless, no joy or sorrow just cold empty voice. The group stared at Z in silence until Y blurted out “You strangled him, bloody hell, remind me to never to get you angry” Welks replied “well it was either that or let him kick the crap out of me and hope he drops his key” “hey to each his own” retorted Y rubbing the lump on the back of his head from where Jones had hit him.

There was a knock on the door followed by the muffled but cheerful voice of the young lady who showed them their room “ Hey yall get up, LtCol. Tarleton wants everybody in the mess hall.” Welks and Y hopped of there bunks onto the concrete floor then X followed by Z who both rose from the lower bunks, For the first time since the group had managed to get out of the “Dark Room” as it had came to be known they actually gave each other a quick glance taking in the appearances of every one in the group. Welks was tall and lean standing 5‘9“ at the age of 13 with a light tan. He had medium length blond hair that laid flat on his head down to his ears and had bright blue eyes. He wore the black slacks and the white dress shirt that they had all been provided with loose though still clean and proper.

Y on the other hand seemed to have little regard for his personnel appearance His short brown hair shot out in every direction as if he had never combed it, his eyes brown and constantly moving darting from one side of the room to the other never focusing on one thing. He wore his clothes just like he kept his hair, a total mess, though his clothes were clean they were constantly wrinkled, he kept his dress shirt untucked and unbuttoned. To top it off he was short at 5” tall and nothing but skin and bones with pale white skin.

Z was the complete opposite of Y, he kept his black hair short and clean, his black eyes never wandered they constantly focused on his objective. At 5”5’ he was taller then X and Y. He’s older than Welks being 14 years old. His clothes are pressed flat and well kept, every aspect of his appearance was neat and orderly not a single hair out of place.

X seemed to be a sort of stuck in the middle between them, his snow white hair had grown down toward his shoulders, he kept it slicked back in to a pony tail, at 5”2’ he stood a little taller then Y but much shorter then Welks and Z. He was also the youngest of the group being ten years old, though months of hard work at sea made him look two or three years older. His body was lean and had a dark tan from constantly being in the sun. his eyes were still same dark green as when he was born. He kept his clothes similarly to Welks, the only major difference was the X chose to role up his sleeves.

They all left their quarters and entered the mess hall silently, all the tables had been arranged in a row, everybody had a specific seat, X sat down flanked by Welks and Y.

Z took his place at the end of the table, two guards stood at either end of the table and two more stood by the entrance, and three stood on the a stage that had been quickly erected for the event. Though no one looked they all knew that Tarleton had entered the room as the clicking of heel striking the floor echoed throughout the room, quickly he came into view as he took his place center stage.

“I would like to welcome you this September evening, the leaves are changing color and along with the so is the fate of the empire also changing thanks to you.” Tarleton’s voice carried over the crowd, though his body may have been out of shape his voice was still powerful and seemed to demand respect. “Secondly I would like to congratulate you all on passing your first test, but for now however we must move on to more pressing matters, for the next eight weeks you are going to drilled as a team.”

Tarleton’s voice had no warmth in it as he spoke, “ you will be divided into fours except for the first two groups, who will be given an extra member each. You all already know your squads, they are your roommates of which you have spent the last week with” Tarleton’s face now had a grim look upon it as he scanned the crowd after he spoke. “Now you should all rest to day you training begins tomorrow at your instructors pleasure” The warmth returned to his voice with his last comment, He then proceeded to exit the room. When he was gone Jones to the stage and dismissed the group.

X and his friends shuffled back to their quarters with the rest of the kids, it was as if Tarleton’s speech had drained them of their energy. They immediately went to sleep not saying another word to each other Except for Y who commented “I’m surprised Tarleton’s fat arse didn’t cause the stage to collapse” but no one laughed not even the jester himself.
© Copyright 2009 Chris (fireandfaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1578192-The-Legend-of-X--the-Team